• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

spotting scope - angled vs. straight

Major Wader

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2013
Southern USA
In the market for a spotting scope. range use, maybe some hunting trips out west.

What do most of you find more user friendly, the straight or the angled eyepiece?

Thanks in advance.

In my opinion the angled eye piece is more versatile for two reasons. First off, the angled scopes have accommodation (at least most of them) to loosen a clamp knob and rotate the entire body of the scope so that the eyepiece is easier to use at the bench or prone by simply coming off the rifle and turning your head to look through the spotter. Much easier because you don't have to "get behind" the spotter like you do with a straight eyepiece. Secondly, in the field when spotting for others, especially for longer durations, it's easier on your neck to look down through an eyepiece than looking straight through one especially if you're seated. Hope that makes sense, kind hard to explain without actually demonstrating it.

I simply hate angled spotters, find it difficult to come onto tgts fast with them and find it unconfortablr looking down into them(completely opposite to fursniper!!) I much prefer straight spotters, its what we use at work and I suppose its what I am used to.

Yeah it's going to be personal ergonomics preference really. The resolution, clarity and brightness will be the same from a technical perspective.

I spent a lot of time reading about the pro's and con's of straight vs angled and it's the same conversation as ford vs chevy. There are plus's and minus's to each and it just boils down to personal preference. I ended up with a mark4 so it made things easy cus there's no choice, straight it is. Keep in mind that most top notch venders on this site have a return policy, worse case get the one you want and if you hate it ask to exchange for the other. Good luck, you'll drive yourself nuts reading about it, trust me!

I like the angled eyepiece, in addition to the reasons listed the tripod can be lower sitting, kneeling, or standing.

If I was hunting and needed to spot movement quickly or was scanning a hillside and needed to quickly reference objects Id want straight. Straight might also make for a less bulky piece to pack. If I was moving from position to position Id think it easier to get a quick look and move on.

For being on the range and not wanting to completely blow a firing position mid string, angled has its benefits. If I was set up in a stationary position, could get comfy with a nice shooting stool, and was not changing the viewing area every couple minutes angled would be my preference.

What is your intended use?

I think the straight scope will easier to point intuitively and find/identify your animal before it gets into brush or over the next ridge.

Depends on the intended use and personal preference as stated. I prefer angled when I am shooting prone and using the spotting scope to read the wind. I prefer straight when I am sitting or standing while spotting for someone else (easier on your neck if adjusted properly).

I thought angled is easier on my neck when I look down.
what's the trick to make it more comfy for the straight ones?
Depends on the intended use and personal preference as stated. I prefer angled when I am shooting prone and using the spotting scope to read the wind. I prefer straight when I am sitting or standing while spotting for someone else (easier on your neck if adjusted properly).

The first company to make a spotting scope that has an adjustable eyepiece to work either straight OR angled in one scope is going to make a fortune, lol!

I prefer straight. One advantage of straight (for me) is that if you need to quickly glass a small target at high magnification/low FOV, it is easier to "aim" the scope since your eye is aligned with the target. With an angled scope, you are looking down or to the side of your target. Seems trivial, but it seems to make a big difference for me. I also prefer straight when spotting for myself on the bench or prone. I set up the spotting scope set up on a tripod right next to my rifle at close to the same height as my rifle scope, and I can easily move my head from rifle scope to spotting scope while keeping my eyes in the direction of the target.

The first company to make a spotting scope that has an adjustable eyepiece to work either straight OR angled in one scope is going to make a fortune, lol!

One of them has it. Might be Swaro.

You buy the objective unit than you have a choice of a straight end with eyepiece or an angled end with eyepiece. I think they also just came out with and ocular end that has an angled binocular eyepiece which would be sweet for using in a stationary position but a little bulky for packing or chasing game from ridge to ridge.

One of them has it. Might be Swaro.

You buy the objective unit than you have a choice of a straight end with eyepiece or an angled end with eyepiece. I think they also just came out with and ocular end that has an angled binocular eyepiece which would be sweet for using in a stationary position but a little bulky for packing or chasing game from ridge to ridge.

Sounds like a start in the right direction but you'd have to buy both ends to have the choice. Being a Swaro, I'm pretty sure that would be a very expensive proposition! I was thinking more along the lines of one scope that you could rotate the ocular to a straight or angled orientation. It'll probably never happen but it sure would satisfy everyone's needs in one unit!

I thought angled is easier on my neck when I look down.
what's the trick to make it more comfy for the straight ones?

You need to have the tripod setup so you're standing/sitting in a natural position while looking straight down range. Think of it as adjusting the scope to line up with your line of sight, rather than adjusting your line of sight to the scope.

once setup properly, you can use your bone structure to support your head, rather than muscle tension.

keep in mind, I'm not claiming to be an expert, just speaking from my experience.

Sounds like a start in the right direction but you'd have to buy both ends to have the choice. Being a Swaro, I'm pretty sure that would be a very expensive proposition! I was thinking more along the lines of one scope that you could rotate the ocular to a straight or angled orientation. It'll probably never happen but it sure would satisfy everyone's needs in one unit!

I could see imagine the joint could be made to rotate the issue would be can you have a mirror that works when at the offset position of 45 degrees than doesnt interfere with things when you are in the straight scope mode.

and yes the various parts of that transformable scope were expensive.

This subject will drive u crazy. I had a straight and while standing or sitting, u had to get the right height but it's easier to spot targets/game with. Angled, u have some play with the height, but target acquisition wasn't as fast. I remember one guy putting it, do u normally look straight head or enjoy staring at your feet? Lol. Good luck

You may be letting the wrong factor drive your decision. I did.......

I have a beautiful Kowa across the course set up. Solid stand, enough pole height to use the scope off hand, the head is angled and rotates at the mount so I can position it any way I want, choice 25X LER eyepiece or 20-60X eyepiece, super clear with a nice focus knob, the entire rig was about $1400.00. In all its glory.....
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i1005.photobucket.com\/albums\/af178\/pmclaine\/P82A0105_zpsd5da2273.jpg"}[/IMG2]

But the entire setup filled my Eberlestock GSII and weighs about 10 pounds. The weight with a rifle in the pack was a burden. So I moved on to a milsurp M49....
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i1005.photobucket.com\/albums\/af178\/pmclaine\/PC037201_zpsldywhdot.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Striaght view, 20X, nuke blast survivable storage can, weight 5 pounds?, web bag for tripod, small footprint, rugged. It takes up about 1/3 of my Eberlestock main compartment allowing me to pack, huge front bag and rear as well as snivel gear for inclement weather. Cost - you can find them +/- $300. Mine was a NOS virgin time capsule so we wont discuss my pricing. Is it as clear or multifunctional as the Kowa - not even close - but it is my go to scope and I don't feel Im handicapped. Weight and size drove my decision.

I still use the Kowa if Im setting up behind the line and I can sit in a chair and observe other shooters to help them make adjustments. It gets out maybe 2-3 times a year. The M49 is used 1-2 times per week.

Last edited:
Ive determined your only solution is to buy one of each style spotter.

Thank me in a PM please so we don't gay up your thread.

I have an old Camo'd Rubber Tasco which has great optics like that M49 12-36X and I have the GR, I also have a 20-60 x 80 Angled, Angled spotters are good for the Range or Star Gazing, But for Tactical and everything else a Straight Spotter is the way to go.

Hope this helps,

John.

I am wondering what is the sales volume ratio for these? The gens from camera land NY or sport optics can chime in? I can't recall their id though...

I feel like it's just comfort preference. I felt like the angled was easier to sit and spot for longer. That's just me though

I think that the type of spotter is more related to the task at hand, There is the other ( Third ) type of spotter to be taken in to consideration and that is the upside down models like the Hensoldt and the new Bushnell 15-45 because that style of spotter is the best in a tactical situation because the eyepiece keeps the user's head down lower.

John.

I bought a Vortex Viper HD 20-60 - 80 spotting scope a few weeks ago. And I got the angled version. You can unlock the rear section and turn it so you can view from the side. That's definite help shooting from a bench. I also like the angled version because I can sit and look thru it. I have back problems so if I'm spotting for someone else I like to be sitting. It also has the dual focuser coarse and fine focus. It's all personal preference though.

I prefer straight. Once you look at a few hundred deer or glass for elk for hours it's easier to spot game you see with the naked eye. Drawbacks when sitting you need a taller tripod. I use my binos on a tripod as well and it's a similar setup I can find a buck or bull or whatever with my binos and want to take a closer look and swap my spotter over and it's a more natural feel to find the animal agin. Check out the jay Scott outdoors podcast he does an episode on this exact topic with Cody Nelson form the outdoorsmans in Arizona. I may make the switch to angled though now that Swarovski has the btx eye piece.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

FWIW I just bought a Kowa 82SV on sale from Creedmoor Sports. Got it with the 25x ler lens for under $800 shipped. I have had both straight and angled eyepiece and prefer the angled with a 30x wide view or 25x ler lens for Match, range, or hunting. I guess I have used it so much it is just second nature.