• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spotting Scope Carry and Case Suggestions?

Centuriator

Dude...you're being very un-Dude.
Banned !
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2012
Middle 'Merica!
Just got a new-to-me spotting scope, very pleased with it. It came with a neoprene cover that encases the entire scope and eyepiece, etc.

Question for the more experienced spotting scope users:

Do you simply use that, alone, to store and carry your scope with you? My primary use will be benchrest/range use.

Or, is there a case you use?

Thanks.

I've had 2 Swaros and a Zeiss. On the 80mm swaro, I had one of the cabelas neoprene cases. I decided that I didn't like it because when it rained, it held the water on the scope, and it was a PITA to take the cover off. I also reasoned that while in use on the tripod there was unlikely to be damage.

I transport my ATX95 in a Storm case.

If I did not transport it in a hard case, I would definately want a soft cover on it - like if I carreid it in a backpack.

I have a soft cover and just put it in the back of the vehicle for range use.

I like hard cases, except they are bulky and heavy.

I am in the same boat as you, I am fortunate enough to get to drive to where I shoot. I keep my spotting scopes in a Pelican case with the foam trimmed. I can keep two spotting scopes and my little bench tripod in one case. I am a big fan of the pelican (or similar) cases. Keeps things secure, dust free, easy to load/unload and stack away for the next session.

I would look at a hard case like pelican or starlight as well. That way you know your investment is safe and secure. I keep my leupold in a triad cover in my drag bag. I'm just transporting to my range from the truck with no problems. Guess it depends on what your intended use is.

My Zeiss Diascope 85 with the long 20-75x85 eyepiece fits in a Vortex Razor HD 85mm spotter case quite nicely. I was not thrilled with the look of the $100 neoprene cover made specifically for the Diascope and didn't want to spend nearly $200 for the Zeiss case. The Razor case is available from Vortex for $60 or so.
Although it does not offer quite the protection of a Pelican case, I think it is sufficiently padded and stays on the scope when in use. It rides on top of my range bag and has handles and a shoulder strap if the range bag gets too crowded.

Joe

Last edited:
I use a nimrod spotting scope case for all transporting, even just sitting in my safe, except backpacking for my zeiss 85. When backpacking I risk it and it rides in a side pocket of my Kifaru DT1.

I'm running the factory nylon cover on my Leupold Mark IV spotter, and just throw it in my range bag at the end of the day.

My MK 4 has a Triad soft case. It stays in the APO transport case except when it's in my Eberlestock Phantom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use a single Pelican that holds my spotting scope, Nomad, Kestrel 4500, binos & LRF as well as their accessories.

It can be locked for transit if need be and can handle the punishment.

No point spending good money on equipment if it’s not going to be adequately protected.