• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spotting scope for 1+ mile shooting/observation.

Armorman

Tactical Farmer
Minuteman
Sep 27, 2009
Rural Alberta
Looking for recommendations on spotting scopes. Need to see hits/misses on metal from 338 Lapua splatter at 1 mile and further. Size/weight not an issue....my only concern is optical clarity. Budget is around $1500. My eyes aren't as good as they once were so I'm looking for something very bright (80+mm) and very clear. Any comments or suggestions from guys that use spotters at that distance are appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Spotting scope for 1+ mile shooting/observation.

ive been looking for the same thing for the same reason. i have a buddy in afganastan that is a army sniper and he said they are using a Leupold Mark 4 spotting scope. i am waiting for him to get home so i can give it a try. i am using a bushnell now and its not bad but i want a clearer view. i will keep a watch on this post and see what ppl say. good luck

A quality tripod and head are $200+.

For a mile You would be better off with a wireless video setup. The range of such a system is determined by many factors.

No Spotting scope is worth a damn at a mile on a hot day over flat terrain. I use an 80mm Pentax. I compared it to the Vortex Razor and Nikon ED 82mm.

AnschutzNerd

Yes, you are correct, that is a lot of real estate to look through at high magnification. I'm just wondering if this is one situation where a higher end scope with supposedly superior optics would trump a budget priced scope. I know a few guys that have those 20-60x80mm Konuspots and really like them. After looking through both of them I too like them and would consider the 100mm Konus even though my budget is 4 or 5x higher. I guess when looking through a mile of air any little advantage in optical quality would probably be noticeable to an extent. I am from the school of thought that you always get what you pay for...but to a point only. I would hate to end up spending 1500+ on a scope and have little advantage over a $300 one at extended distances...

I hear you on the wireless set-up but I like the portability of the scope...meaning....I can pick it up and move it quickly without a big procedure to set it up again at different spots.

I have:

85mm Zeis diascope w/ zoom eyepiece to 60X,
US Optics field scope w/ built in PCMOA reticle that zooms to 45X, and
run a US Optics SN3 5-25X w/ Custom reticle on my tactical 7 WSM.

I shoot armor plate steel (painted bright white) to 1,800 yards frequently in the Nevada desert (with 7WSM, .284 Shehane, and 338LM), and can see bullet strikes on steel with all of the observation devices including the rifle scope. Granted I shoot early in the day with fairly limited mirage, but the grey mark is readily visible without needing the magnification of a spotter. At that distance I can and do spot my own shots, as it takes the bullet a long time to cover the distance.

I also have a remote wireless camera set up that my brother and I developed to see exactly where the near misses are hitting as it can be tough at distance to see that you are hitting just short versus just long on a target that is 1.0 MOA wide and 1.5 MOA tall at 1,800 yards.

Jeffvn

I eneded up buying one of those Konuspot 20-60x100mm. We'll see how I like it. For 250 bucks it's hard to go wrong. If I don't like it then it'll be a decent paper weight or door stopper or just use it for load development at 300 yards. All I need is something clear enough to spot splatter marks on white targets at a mile+. My 5.5-22x56 NXS doesn't cut it...

I have been running a Vortex Viper HD 15-45x65 through it's paces lately. From what I have seen it is an awesome spotter. IMHO these are the best bang for the buck for a spotting scope w/o reticle.

I got a smoking deal on a Fuji 80ED and the seller used it at that range with no problems. I have used it a few times but need a newer heavy tripod to utilize it to it's fullest potential. If I had not found it I was going to get a Celestron Ultima 100ED.

If you have a gun to shoot 1600+ meters, and I am guessing each round costs about $4.50-5.00, then you might want to hold off and budget with a little more. You are looking at a Celestial scope. The gun to shoot that far is probably several thousand dollars along with your several thousand dollar optic on the rifle so you should have enough left over to complete the spotting scope setup.

I use my $2000 astro scope in binoviewer mode when spotting at that distance.

Being able to see with both eyes helps resolve splatters better than viewing with one eye. My whole setup runs a tad over $3K so you are budgeting too little.

Here is a thru the scope pic of a Leopold 15-45 spotter with H-25 reticle in it. It's clearer than that, but having tough time getting focused with camera. That is a pair of steel discs at one mile, to give you an idea of the FOV at 45x.

IMG_1025.jpg

That pic was also at late afternoon, with barely enough light left to shoot. Shooting at a mile ( or 1000 yards etc ) that reticle comes in handy - saves those $5 bills you are shooting, by keeping ranging shots to a minimum.

I recently brought a Pentax PF 80 ED back from San Fran. The things bloody awesome!

On a good day I can see holes at 500m (550Y)in the white and even in the red rings on our targets.

For the $900 or so that the unit cost, I cannot really fault it.

The cons of the unit are:
- Its massive. Compared to a Kowa TSN883 it is a few inches longer
- The 20-60x eyepiece has no reticle.

Optical clarity is fantastic, much clearer than NF or S&B glass on a PM2 at 50x.

Heres a pic of a tree branch that was 100m away, in lower light conditions. Mind you the photo was taken with an iPhone, which is difficult to hold in proper focus. I could see ants walking along the branches at this distance.

56509928.jpg