• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spotting scope for long range shooting/hunting

aero22abflight

Private
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2020
Hey my friends,

Looking to buy an angled spotting scope that I can used long range shooting 1000yds + and hunting either the Vortex Viper HD 20-60x85mm or Vortex Razor 27-60x85mm, but is the razor worth the double price? Would be cool if can change the eyepiece to a mrad reticle eyepiece. I like the Leica APO-Televid 82 and can add a multiplier for added zoom, but that's est $3600.

What would be a great all-around spotting scope?
Thanks

aero22abflight

Both of the spotting scopes you mention will do well, the Razor will be a step up from the Viper. You also can get the MRAD retical for both of the models as well.

We have two Razors and one of them is setup with the MRAD retical to help fine tuning our corrections when shooting distances out to 3520 at events like the KO2M and Spearpoint. They really work nice and the image is very crisp. Cheers

Oneshot.onehit
JH

Reactions: aljones_315
I use the Vortex Razor 27-60 X 85 straight tube and it works real well especially with a phone scope for recording your shots. I had a chance to look through a buddies Viper HD spotting scope next to mine while deer hunting last year during dusk conditions. The Viper was so dark in comparison I asked my buddy if something was wrong with his spotter. It was literally night and day difference in brightness.

Consider the Pentax 80ED. On spotting scope as well as rifle scopes resolution is critical. When we go out to dessert to shoot 1K+ it does well.

Pentax

How good is the Cronus? What does is compare to? Been looking to get a nice spotter but I'm lost among all the brands and options.

Right now I'm thinking the Cronus or the new Ares w/ UHD. Kinda thinking the Cronus is on sale to make room for the new Cronus. Just an assumption. The new Ares has an optional milling reticle eyepiece too. And do I want straight or angled. Assumed I always wanted angled due to that's what seems to be the 'standard' but after mentally picturing using a straight eyepiece, that seems like a better choice due to being able to use both eyes open and not haven to raise your head to see your 'object' when coming off the spotter. Help. :)

I really like the Cronus my brother has the Vortex razor and it is as good as the razor. I ordered the new Ares this past week. I had a chance to look threw the Ares and it is really nice. I bought it for how compact it is.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
What about Meopta? It has some pretty good review.

Cronus is great and cheaper than the Razor. I am looking to upgrade to one in the future. For now a Bushnell Elite 15-45x60 gets the job done pretty decent.

I have the Vortex Razor HD 27-60 x 85mm Angled Spotting Scope and a Razor HD MOA 85mm 22x Reticle Eyepiece and like it.

I'm glad to hear that. It was my understanding that they could be used on angled or straight just had to be the largest magnification for the viper and razor.
Bob

not criticizing , just asking why spend 3.5k or more on a spotting scope when you could have a hd picture of your target and record the whole thing on video for 400 with a target cam and a note pad or other device like a lap top ? I am not saying not to get what ever you want just trying to understand why other than hunting , why someone would choose one over the other . I can't imagine if you can't see a 224 impact on paper with a 20x60x80 @600 yards having that much more luck with a 20x60x85 beyond that regardless of the cost , Unless on steel but then at 1/8th the cost a target cam still seems like a better bargain and is useful out to a mile some 2 or maybe 3 miles , while mirage still effects spotting scopes , the camera close to the target will not have to look through it as much it's at the target is it not ?

If you’re shooting 5-10 different targets at a sitting, you would need that many cameras. Or, have one spotter.

Reactions: Steel head
In many places where my targets are set there’s no way to set a camera up in front of the target.
42B9E9C2-0E67-4C44-A2F1-72B94B0D3C6E.jpeg

Reactions: jasent and Geno C.
Reactions: jasent
NE wa
400 yards to over 6000 yards from one position. So far I’ve mapped out 1k,1600,1973,2566,3204,6432-would need forward observation in 2 positions for that to be a safe shot though.

Reactions: Geno C.
I have run Kowa spotters for 20 years mostly shooting high power where you need the angled eyepiece so you can spot your shots without getting out of position.

I would say go with the spotter 60 with reticle
When shooting at distances > 3000 yrds, target cams have trouble picking up misses > 50 yrds which is easy to do with wind, up drafts and such. As I’m just getting into longer ranges it’s nice to have your spotter see the splashes with greater field of view and the FFP reticle to make accurate hold over calls...

387AD194-9B0C-4E63-8090-06A5F3974978.png

this is 3643 yrds at just about 45x power at approx one MOA target