• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Spotting scope help

Cbostick

Private
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2017
Indiana
First spotting scope do I need one with ranging capability and if so what brands are
good to go thinking maybe a razor Vortex but I'm not sure if gen 1 or Gen 2

First spotting scope do I need one with ranging capability and if so what brands are
good to go thinking maybe a razor Vortex but I'm not sure if gen 1 or Gen 2
There is a broad spectrum of types and features. Portability a concern? Optical qualities, Fov, comps... If you want a reticle and need to pack it look at Bushnell Elite Tac for a grand. Pretty handy.
I Love my Pentax 80. It does not pack well and no reticle. I carry binos and or lrf.

Depends on usage. Personally, I wouldn't likely get another spotter w/out reticle, as a buddy and I are often spotting for each other, and the spotter reticle makes it a lot easier to call in adjustments to the shooter. They can also be used to do ranging, although many now prefer a laser rangefinder.
If just using as binos to scout out an area/target, having a reticle or not is likely not so relevant. In general, the reticle equipped spotters are more expensive (until you go WAY up in price, anyways, e.g. Swaro spotters, etc.).

I have a Bushnell Elite Tactical I'm quite happy with overall. Occasionally you can get a deal on them reasonably close to $1k. It has an odd reticle IMO, although claiming to be a Horus, it's basically just a rectangular grid, but it's fine.

Leupold has a handful w/reticles, although I never could definitively sort by model which ones actually have reticles and which don't.

Athlon is coming out with a Bushy ET looking spotter, which has a pretty nice reticle in it from what I've seen (online diagrams), but AFAIK they're not in the wold yet. If I didn't already have the Bushnell ET spotter, wasn't in a rush, and the Athlon was confirmed to actually be available soon - I'd probably wait on it and see how it pans out. (As it is, I think it was announced some 6+ months ago and still not shipped, however..)

The best mirage watching scope I have is an old Japanese made 60mm Bushnell Spacemaster. I haven't come across anything better for that purpose. The best scope I have for seeing bullet holes at 500 yards is an old 77mm Kowa TSN-4. Both have fixed 25x eyepieces.

The Spacemasters can be had in new condition for $125 or so off fleabay, and the TSN-4's can be had for $400 or so.

Another option to throw out is the ZenRay ED2. Awesome glass, and I believe the Vortex eyepiece with ranging reticlencan be used in it too.... not 100% sure, just something I’ve read. I use mine with the 20-60 and 30x WA eyepieces for range use, scouting trips/hunting, and at matches. When conditions are good, I’ve spotted shots on steel out to 1030 yds. The glass is sweet and I actually returned a Vortex spotter and kept the ZR as I felt to my eyes, it was just a touch better image to me. Everyone’s eyes are different though so I’d recommend just going to a big sporting goods store (Cabelas, etc), and try looking through as many different ones as possible first, before you make the investment.

You wouldn't really need a spotter for ranging (although they are capable). ranging with a scope is usually only truly accurate to around 600 yards and that is by someone that is skilled at the practice.
You would, however, use a spotter with reticle to call adjustments.
There are a couple of really decent entry level spotters with reticles, Bushnell and Sighmark both make one. Higher end Bushnells are available as well as Vortex, USO and Leupold.
It all depends on your budget.