• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spotters Spotting Scope or Binoculars

tanders11

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2020
Nevada
Looking for some recommendations for a spotting device. This will be used strictly for identifying hits on steel at distances up to 1100 yards. Would you recommend binoculars or spotting scope? Was looking at Kaibab HD 18x56 binoculars for $700 but thats little more than I had wanted to spend. However, if they are worth the price then I may go that route. Was also looking at Bushnell Nitro 20-60x65 ($450) and Vortex Viper HD 15-45x65 ($500) both here in the marketplace but don't know if they are what I am looking for. Any other recommendations or advice for any of the already mentioned?

I just picked up a pair of bushnell forge 15x56 binos for 450 used upon others recommendations for the same. They seem pretty clear although I haven’t gotten them out yet. I do however prefer binos to a spotter, seem easier if the eyes after spotting all day.

Forge binos or spotter with reticle would be good. Just note high magnification on any of the lower priced scopes isn’t going to be great.
I prefer looking through binos. 10x is fine but you may want 12 or 15x
An important part of spotting is seeing the trace and reading wind. Most don’t spot on high mag.

Reactions: Mrbigballs85
I use the Bushnell Legend T-series 15-45x60 spotter with mil reticle. Good when not at full magnification and for the price. Just don’t expect it to compete with a $1500-2000 spotter.

Another option would be Leupold BX-T HD binos. Got to play with them at shotshow last year and those were very nice for my application. Reasonably priced too.

Another vote for the Bushnell Forge 15x binos, especially after the recent price drop. I've used them for spotting at a bunch of matches now, and I am really happy with them. Especially if you're going to spend a lot of time on glass, binos are the way to go.

I am saving for 15x56 Swaro SLC

If all your doing is spotting hits on steel at long range (1,100yds +) then a spotter is hard to beat.

For FOV under 1K cant beat binos. I had the 15X SLCs for one two day match and glass is legit clear. When you combine the FOV with the 15x its pretty amazing how far you can reach. That said i ended using a 12x pair of ELs more than the SLCs.

In my opinion is just a bit too much that you lose the upside of the binos when you have to swivel 30-40 degrees from a set of targets to another. 10 - 12x i feel is the sweet spot for spotting a wide area under 1K keeping much of the target area framed specially on a tripod.

Law of diminishing returns kick into high gear above 1k USD too so keep that in mind for your intended purpose.

If all your doing is spotting hits on steel at long range (1,100yds +) then a spotter is hard to beat.

For FOV under 1K cant beat binos. I had the 15X SLCs for one two day match and glass is legit clear. When you combine the FOV with the 15x its pretty amazing how far you can reach. That said i ended using a 12x pair of ELs more than the SLCs.

In my opinion is just a bit too much that you lose the upside of the binos when you have to swivel 30-40 degrees from a set of targets to another. 10 - 12x i feel is the sweet spot for spotting a wide area under 1K keeping much of the target area framed specially on a tripod.

Law of diminishing returns kick into high gear above 1k USD too so keep that in mind for your intended purpose.
Thank you for that! I am trying to cross the PRS/NRL and hunting gap if it can be done.

I tried using a friends Bushnell Forge 15x binos but with out a mount I'm just to shaky to use them.Having the bins on a mount you loose the portability of the bins alone. So I use the Leupold Gold Ring HD 15-40X spotter on the Leupold mount which is very sturdy and stable..