• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Spotting Scope Setup - Prone?

Trek

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2019
Canton Michigan
Looking for guidance, and experience… I have an inverted mark 4 spotting scope in an Optics Hub casing and I’m looking for a tripod solution for use when shooting prone… Standing or observing could be done with a RRS tripod TBD, 34L), but I’m seeking a solution on how to set up a system up for prone (by myself). What are folks using for a tripod/scope stand? Thanks for the help

I use the spotting scope stand that I bought for NRA Highpower competition where we have to be able to adjust a spotting scope for standing, sitting, and prone positions. I have a stand made by Giraud Tool Company, but Creedmoor Sports also sells a good one thats a little less $$ as well as the Polecat stand which I think is the nicest of the 3.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tono and Trek
How much you want to spend?

Looking for guidance, and experience… I have an inverted mark 4 spotting scope in an Optics Hub casing and I’m looking for a tripod solution for use when shooting prone… Standing or observing could be done with a RRS tripod TBD, 34L), but I’m seeking a solution on how to set up a system up for prone (by myself). What are folks using for a tripod/scope stand? Thanks for the help

Update... I inverted my Mark 4 in a Kinetic “Optics Hub”. Hanging inverted of a HP stand is now out (thanks for the photos M1). Plan would be to attach a m-lock /RRS plate and us a RRS “L” tripod for standing (spotting). But using this for individual prone is a head scratcher. One option might be a “table top” RRS clone tripod... since the plate is attached. Thoughts?

Gun_RickScopeArt-7413 Final.jpg

The Freeland Regal Bipod stand is the best known stand in the shooting industry. It is made of aluminum castings with a brown wrinkle finish and available with either the saddle head, zoom head, or swivel head assembly. The saddle head is adaptable to most any scope, holding it in a clamp ring, while the zoom and swivel head is made for scopes with the "boss" mount 1/4" x 20 thread. The Regal Bipod features quick adjustment for elevation and allows for full panoramic view. It comes complete with one standard 5/8" x 21" steel extension, tools for adjustment, carry ball, pan-view collar, thread cap and the new friction washer system. Weighs 4.5 pounds. Saddle head is available in standard or large ring clamp.

- The Zoom head works with scopes that have a rotating band.

- The Swivel head works with scopes that do not have a rotating band.

- The Saddle head has many purposes including scopes with no mount points or damaged threads.

http://www.championshooters.com/ind...t_id=766&virtuemart_category_id=32&Itemid=111

The Freeland stands have been around a long time, but my issues with them are 1) the 5/8" rod is outdated and flexes too much when you put a larger spotting scope like a Swarovski 80 mm scope. The newer scope stand designs have vertical rods that are up to 1" in diameter for MUCH better rigidity, and 2) the Freeland does not have a stable base like the tripod designs. I have seen many Freeland stands knocked over by wind and by accidental contact and I have seen multiple big buck spotting scopes severely damaged when they fall over on their objective. The worst was a Kowa 82mm scope that fell over on it's objective hard enough to break the objective lens.

Last edited:
For all-around value the Creedmoor tripod around $200 is good. Even if the pole is a little thin you're shooting prone and maintaining a low center of gravity. Don't add all the pole sections and create a flagpole that flexes in the wind. The benefit of a shooting stand is keeping the scopes ocular right at your eye level. No need to move your cheekweld to check target/wind when in position.

APO TACT-3 with APO T.I.M. is an option. Depending on which scope you have it might work out (with the possibility of an inverted reticle if mounted as shown on a model with no "top" 1/4x20 threaded mounting hole).

Last edited:
Reactions: Trek
^ If your not looking to go the $1500 dollar route and what to use it occasionally you'd be surprised what you can get away with because you are so low. Wind is less in play etc..

for about 60 bucks you can be in business - hell you'll at least know if prone spotting is going to work. Just a note in some places prone spotting can be so bad that unless you're in some environment where standing up is going to kill the hunt or ruin you life, it is just plain better. As an example, If your shooting ELR or very long range across flat barren surface, laying prone can have so much Mirage your better just staying on the scope and depowering. Rise up to look through the spotter can be night and day.

You will only want to run the spotter if you cantilever it in the first two images, but with the legs extended. Of course you can use the longer center column in as well. I was using something like this in image 1 for the labradar

Screen Shot 2019-04-24 at 9.10.44 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-24 at 9.13.09 AM.png

Reactions: Trek and Eric_F
i was looking for a solution to this same problem a while back. I think this is the route I’m going when I’m ready to spend the coins http://tacticaltripod.com/. Spoke with the company owner, he’s a super nice guy and very helpful.

Devil dog... thanks for the post... I’ll reach out to them this week. My M4 is inverted in an optics hub with a RRS plate (attached by the m-lok top).... so my standing tri pod is perfect.... perhaps this provider can assist in creating a “arca” mount (?).

Devil dog... thanks for the post... I’ll reach out to them this week. My M4 is inverted in an optics hub with a RRS plate (attached by the m-lok top).... so my standing tri pod is perfect.... perhaps this provider can assist in creating a “arca” mount (?).

Let us know what you find out, I’ve switched to mostly Arca mounts and rails also. Good luck

http://gearbuggy.com/

Mine arrives later today. After looking at alot of scope and stand setups at the local 1000 yd F-Class match, hands down the GearBuggy stand is the most robust, no vibes in this stand. Other stands mentioned above had shake with the wind.

jet doc.... (medic or engine tech? Great tag name!). I agree. Gearbuggy Is the real deal I spoke to the manufacturer really good guy! In the end I went a different way with the RRS tripod... service rifle or SB 3P, this system would be perfect - thank for sharing!

Trek,

I’m an Aircraft Mechanic by trade. After taking these planes totally apart, diagnosing them, fixing them, and rebuilding I thought the “handle” was appropriate.

GearBuggy stand arrived today, man that thing is sweet. I ordered it with Wayne’s “F-Class mod” meaning one of the three legs is approx 4 inches shorter but has a built in foot pad to keep everything level. The shorter leg goes under the gun if you have one of the other stands leg parallel to you when shooting prone.

Also had Wayne make me a Kestrel Wind Vane mount 1/4 x 20 thread adapter so I can mount the wind vane on the top of the pole just like another stand shown above.

Let me see if I can post a photo of the leg.

Attachments

• E6C1789C-2E71-4206-BF16-4470EDDE5D19.jpeg
    E6C1789C-2E71-4206-BF16-4470EDDE5D19.jpeg
    696.9 KB · Views: 165
Reactions: Newenglandwood