• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Spotting scope suggestions

Rlbol

Master Gunnery Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2010
FL
I am looking for a spotting scope.
Currently using a celestron the size of a telescope!
So I am looking for a smaller one. Something able to use on a mini tripod as well as window mount.

Will be used mostly for seeing holes at longer range at the range!

I have been looking at the bushnell elite, vortex hd models. I would like either a mil dot reticle or more modern ranging type reticle. Now the difficult part! I would like to be in the 1k price range if possible!

Any suggestion and advice will be greatly appreciated!

I just purchased a cheap (under $300) unit for the limited purposes of zeroing scope at 100 yards and seeing .308 holes at 100-300 yards range. Granted, even with my eyeglasses I don't have particularly great vision, but I am returning the scope after one try. I could see the .308 holes at 100 yards, but not really any better than with my SWFA 3-15 at max magnification. Moreover, the eye relief was probably a half inch or so and the controls weren't fairly poor. I chose the cheap option due to wanting to invest more money in other areas and I didn't feel justified in paying too much for the limited purpose of identifying holes at reasonably short ranges. I don't know what I will choose now, but I still don't expect at this point to spend more than $500-750 to achieve my current limited purpose. So, maybe I can provide a little more feedback in a week or two on a new scope in the $500-750 price range. Good luck with your choice. Seems like you should be able to get decent scope for your cap of $1,000. Let us know what you get and how it works out.

I have a bushnell Elite Tactical and love it, Compact and light, perfect for mounting on the window.

I am using a TSN-660 by Kowa really happy with it and the size.

Here you can see it on the table with a mini tripod/ball head
13367841834_514a9e16a1.jpg

The way I see it you have 2 options. Save more and buy a vortex razor hd 20-60x85 or buy a target camera. I have used cheaper scopes and they are a waste of time and money.