• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

spotting scope tripod and head

allie

Private
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2007
NJ
whats a good sturdy spotting scope tripod/head set up? i was looking at manfrotto just not sure. anybody have any suggestions?
thanks
a

Amazon has some decent deals on Manfrotto and heads. They work just fine and some can swivel so that you can see prone. Classic stands like the Giraud Spotting Scope Stand can cost more, but offer a different options.

Browse through The Really Right Stuff site. The best tripods made inAmerica and their pan-heads are smooth and versatile. No center post on the tripod so it will drop to 6 inches for tabletop or prone positions. Will last a lifetime, but very pricey.
Skip

I have recently been looking at pricing a tripod set up and this is what I have concluded. If you are determined to go the Manfrotto route, you can get some better deals on the tripods/heads via B&H and or Amazon. Check each item at both places as sometime its cheaper by a few dollars.

Really Right Stuff makes bomb proof camera gear and I have several of their mounts that I use for cameras. However, it is heavy and if you have no problems with paying $1500 + for just a tripod, then that may be the best option for you.

What I concluded and ended up getting is the PRS tripod with the large cradle and the DLOC-M from Alamo 4 star. I can switch out from the cradle to the PIC mount as needed,effectively giving me 2 methods to attach a gun or other devices and all for around $230 bucks.

I have the prs medium tripod and the manfrotto 055 with 222 head. They are both good tripods but the manfrotto is a sturdier easier to use setup. The downside is that it is much heavier. What are you wanting to do with the tripod?

I have a manfrotto xprob. It's sturdy. I just got back from a class, and my only issue with it was how much ground the base covers when trying to get low. It made it difficult to get into a good spotting position next to the shooter. Running up high, though, it worked great. I have the 322RC2 head, and it works OK. It seems like my spotting moves after I release the joystick grip when I think it's in position. It's probably user error as I've never used in before.

I too use the PRS tripods (medium and small) because they are easy to pack (lightweight and VERY compact), but for a dedicated spotter that I'll be running all day for an event, etc., I go to my Manfrotto 055XPROB with a 322RC2 grip/ball head. If you don't need QUITE that heavy-duty, the 190XPROB is another good option. Furthermore, there are multiple similar tripods in the Manfrotto lineup that don't offer the horizontal center column of the XPROB series tripods which are a little lighter and cheaper...again...depends on your particular needs/wants as to what features/price point you want.

The Manfrotto Q90 feature will allow you to get nice and close to the spotter while inches from the ground.

thanks everybody for your help. i think ill go with the manfrotto 222 joystick and the 055xprob.

You've got that right, but after dropping all that cash on the scope I wanted any glass-trashing accidents to be solely God's will. In addition to OCD, I'm afflicted with OKD (over kill disorder).

Another company I am interested in getting some hands on time and or feedback is the Tripods and heads from Alamo Four star. I've read a few threads here on the hide and they are all good reviews, but they are older posts. I haven't heard of anyone currently using one of their rigs and how they hold up over time and performance/weight. They have some pretty nice looking set ups and I have their DLOC-M rail coming in the mail, but without a hands on I'm a bit skeptical of their tripod and head prices ( I know...ya get what ya pay for;cry once). From what I have read on their new products, they have a head that is capable of movements that are similar to the Manfrotto grip/ballhead and looks like the one pictured. The rifle pictured is 14.5 pounds and they intentionally set the rail that far forward to see what the set up would do. Anyone have any recent feedback on their gear? My concern is weight and durability/function.

555035_448081625276349_305548292_n.jpg

A real good combination is the Vortex High Country tripod with the Manfrotto 327RC2 friction ball head. Woks great upright or low profile.

I really like the Manfrotto 322 head... it locks up tight and I can almost "aim" the spotting scope with it.