• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Spotting scope tripod

MOOSEKNUCKLE

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2009
Ohio
Im looking for a good quality tripod for my spotting scope. I saw one that turns every which way and can lay almost flat on the ground for shooting prone. Can anyone help me out with a good brand name or website?
Thanks MK

Re: Spotting scope tripod

The PRS tripods from Danel Jenkins (platypus here on the Hide...see the link in the post above) are the cat's meow!!! I have now used both his small and medium sized tripods and they are second to none! Great price, great value for all the features you get, and the man behind the scenes is as good as they get.

If you are looking for a dedicated spotter tripod for use on the range and you are less concerned with weight/portability/etc., then have a look at the Bogen/Manfrotto units. The 190XPROB and 055XPROB units are excellent that offer a huge adjustment range, can be grounded for prone use, and both have a horizontal center column that will give you some additional flexibility depending on the way you need to setup for spotting duty.

I second the Manfrotto recommendation. They make some of the finest tripods around. Not cheap, but they're great whether you're using it for spotting or photography or pretty much anything.

I will chime in on the presision rifle solutions pods. They double as a shooting pod with the addition of the sniper cradle and a second quick change adaptor. One less theing to carry and it's quality stuff.

Might be thinking of one of the Manfrotto tripods with the center column that can go horizontal. I have the lighter one, the 190 X-PROB, with the excellent 322RC2 pistol grip ball head.
DSC_0379.jpg

DSC_0382.jpg

The square isn't really readible but the horizontal center column is 9.5" off the ground at the lowest setting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MOOSEKNUCKLE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im looking for a good quality tripod for my spotting scope. I saw one that turns every which way and can lay almost flat on the ground for shooting prone. Can anyone help me out with a good brand name or website?
Thanks MK </div></div>
I mount my Angled Zeiss 65T FL on a <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Gitzo GT1550T Traveller</span></span> tripod and <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">G2285MB QR Adapter Plate</span></span>. By removing the center column and setting the legs to their 24 degree angle setting the tripod can be set very low to the ground for prone use. Or, by setting the legs at their 65 degree setting and extending one or more of the five (5) leg sections you can use it sitting or standing use. The GT1550T has a maximum height 57.48" (146 cm) of with the center column extended, so it's tall enough for a six foot tall person can use either an angled or straight spotter with it.

The Gitzo GT1550T Traveller weighs only 2.2 lbs. with it's small ballhead, and 2.51 lbs. with the G2285MB QR Adapter Plate. Combined with the Zeiss 65T FL its' great for sitting, standing, or prone use. The GT1550T Traveller also has 180 degree-folding legs that allow it to fold down to 14.1" with the QR adapter plate making it ideal for backpacking and travel.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Gitzo GT1550T Traveller folded w/G2285MB Adapter:</span></span>
GT1550TG2285MBFolded8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">I applied some foam grips to the upper sections of the legs to protect them from scratches and deaden sound:</span></span>
FoamGrips8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Gitzo GT1550T Traveller folded w/G2285MB Adapter next to Angled Zeiss Diascope 65T:</span></span>
PA1615838x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">The foam grips are long enough to fit over and cushion the aluminum ferrules, so I pulled the grips over the ferrules as you can see in the photos below.</span></span>

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Gitzo GT1550T Traveller w/G2285MB Adapter & Angled Zeiss Diascope 65T. Center Column removed for prone use:</span></span>
GT1550TwFoamLALRA8x6.jpg

GT1550TwFoamLALRA45Degree8x6.jpg

GT1550TwFoamLALFA45Degree8x6.jpg

GT1550TwFoamLARFA45Degree8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">The Gitzo GT1550T Traveller w/G2285MB Adapter & Angled Zeiss Diascope 65T work equally well for left-handed shooters:</span></span>
GT1550TwFoamLEFTYLARRA45Degree8x6.jpg

GT1550TwFoamLEFTYLARFA45Degree8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Gitzo GT1550T Traveller w/G2285MB Adapter & Angled Zeiss Diascope 65T. Center Column raised for seated use:</span></span>
GT1550TwFoamSittingRRA8x6.jpg

Short of a Gitzo, I would get a carbon fiber Manfrotto tripod and a Manfrotto Head. The Manfrottos' aren't as light or as compact as the Gitzo Travellers' and they have a larger footprint when used prone, but a Manfrotto setup will typically cost a LOT less and do almost the same things.

Look at the <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Manfrotto 190CXPRO3</span></span> (three section legs) or <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Manfrotto 190CXPRO4</span></span> (four section legs) and the head of your choice. You can use them sitting, standing, or prone.

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M60A1Tanker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ray-vin had a nice Spec Ops tripod but he has retired I believe. </div></div>

I believe Creedmoor Sports has taken over and is producing a slightly modified version of the Ray-Vin stand.

http://www.creedmoorsports.com/store/product.php?productid=889858&cat=267&page=1

Yep, very happy with mine from Daniel. I bought some extra mounting plates so now I just have the one tripod for the spotter, rifle, LRF, camera & chrony. Just dont try to use them all at once !

Good stuff.

Just got back from out of town and wanted to say thanks for all the input and great pics. Thats why I love the Hide, your all a great group of guys!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical_Tom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about a http://www.kirkphoto.com/MLB-1_Mighty_Low_Boy.html for around $190 and a used Manfrotto Bogen 322RC2 Grip Action Tripod Ballhead of ebay for around $30.

That way to can buy one of these http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=445 . The 322RC2 head is great and its quick release feature allows changing from a camera to a spotting scope to a rifle fast and easily.
</div></div>

The problem with that tripod is that you are limited ONLY to prone, sitting or bench-top use of the tripod which is fine if those are the only situation you plan on finding yourself in. The max achievable height for the low boy is only around 28" or so which is limiting, unlike the 190XPROB or similar tripods which gives you grounding ability, all the way up through and including standing and all heights in between for around $70 cheaper than the low boy.

As for the Larue adapter plate...I personally have no need to have my rifle "attached" to my tripod, but some folks will want tha capability I suppose. FWIW, the Larue adapter plate will work with any Bogen/Manfrotto tripod head that is equipped for QD plates...not just the 322RC2!