• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spotting Scope & Tripod

oubeta

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2003
Edmond, Oklahoma
I'm looking to step up from my aging low power spotting scope.

Can anyone suggest a good one for around $500 capable of seeing .30 cal holes at 600m?

I'm also looking for a good tripod that will stay steady in this Oklahoma wind (if they make such a thing)

Thanks

Re: Spotting Scope & Tripod

Where's the popcorn?

Most likely answer is going to be that you need to spend more money.

Best glass that I have looked through has been the Vortex HD spotting scope for a cool grand more than you are looking to spend.

If it takes more money to see the holes I can spend it.
I'd just rather spend it on optics for my bolt gun. I've heard good things about Konus.

For the price point, the Konusspot is ok.

Unfortunately I am spoiled and do not want any spotting scope that has cheaper glass than my NF.

I will wait to buy until I can get the Vortex.

There are at LEAST two to three other threads discussing "what spotter for seeing .30cal bullets holes at 500/600yds" floating around. Use the SH Google Search Engine linked to in my sig line.

I'll give you the short version before you search...THERE IS NO BUDGET SPOTTER THAT WILL RESOLVE .30CAL BULLET HOLES AT 600YDS, MORE THAN A SMALL PERCENTAGE OF THE TIME UNDER IDEAL CONDITIONS, AT THAT RANGE.

I used the search on the site and didn't come up with anything.
The google search I hope is better.

The Google search turns up a lot of information.
Finally able to search now.
How come the search feature on the site doesn't ever show what you are looking for?
Thanks this helps a lot.

I wonder if you could see .30 holes at 600 with any model of the Konus brand spotters? If you don't think it's possible, I guess my only choice is to spring for a high dollar Kowa or like scope.

In addition to using the Google search, you might want to peruse this forum http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=38&page=1. It'll have more pertinent information re your topic than this one.

Spotters have been discussed and reviewed ad naseum as your google search will indicate. Manfrotto and Slik tripods are both good depending on your weight requirements. Again, the search is your friend.

Good luck!

strongly suggest Kowa in that price range. A fixed power eyepiece will have better FOV and appears a little clearer to me.

Swarovski spotter on a Swarovski tripod. I dont remember what it costs, but I guarantee my wife remembers. It makes my left eye twitch when she reminds me about it too.

Mine will not, and I'm not sure what would see .30 holes at 600y for $500.
- I have been looking for an upgrade for a while and the budget version I found with good reviews was the Celestron Regal.
It comes with ED glass in 65, 80 or 100mm, in that price range.
The 100mm should work, but it would be like adopting another family member
wink.gif

I decided to stay with the more mobile Bushnell FLP 15-45x60 for now and the picture below is taken with an iphone looking through a window, through a bush - at a power pool at a guesstimate of 150y @45x. Looking through it, I can read the yellow sign and see the bolts holding the tie-down wires.
What you would see at the range depends on contrast of target vs holes etc.
photo%288%29.JPG

I think I'm going to just order a Konuspot.
I can't decide between the 80mm or the monster 100mm?
I guess the 100mm would only be better at low light as they are the same power scopes?

I'm going to use the extra cash to order a target camera.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oubeta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess the 100mm would only be better at low light as they are the same power scopes?</div></div>Tourist trap. Spend the money on optical quality, not diameter of the objective.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oubeta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess the 100mm would only be better at low light as they are the same power scopes?</div></div>Tourist trap. Spend the money on optical quality, not diameter of the objective. </div></div>

BIG +1!!!

You can buy bigger and not get better...all you end up with is a bigger POS!

600 yards and 30 cal holes, even with a high end spotting scope, is asking for a lot. Environmental conditions would need to be pretty sweet

There is a Celestron spotting scope close to your price range that has received some good reviews:
http://www.opticsplanet.net/celestron-regal-80-f-ed-80mm-spotting-scope-52302.html
However, not having first hand knowledge, I don't know if your calibrated eyeball will be able to detect that tiny .30 caliber hole or not. Also, these things are pretty massive. It's a range only instrument...you do not want to be lugging this in the field.
There are several threads here on using wireless cameras for spotting hits...I'd recommend going that route.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nimoz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine will not, and I'm not sure what would see .30 holes at 600y for $500.
- I have been looking for an upgrade for a while and the budget version I found with good reviews was the Celestron Regal.
It comes with ED glass in 65, 80 or 100mm, in that price range.
The 100mm should work, but it would be like adopting another family member
wink.gif

I decided to stay with the more mobile Bushnell FLP 15-45x60 for now and the picture below is taken with an iphone looking through a window, through a bush - at a power pool at a guesstimate of 150y @45x. Looking through it, I can read the yellow sign and see the bolts holding the tie-down wires.
What you would see at the range depends on contrast of target vs holes etc.
photo%288%29.JPG
</div></div>

I have the same I think its a good scope for the money but throw the tripod away its super crap.

i have the excursion and slik med tripod. together they work great but i sincerely doubt you'll see 30 cal holes at anywhere near 600 yrds.

one suggestion i would give you if its possible for you, shoot painted steel. you can see impacts a a helluva lot farther than paper. not an option for everyone though.

I was at the range this past weekend putting a new .308 bolt gun through its paces. Although the conditions were not so great (very cloudy and pretty dark), I was pleasantly surprised to find that my 100mm Celestron spotting scope allowed me to see the holes at 550 yd with little trouble. Further, I did not have to max out the mag to do it (maybe in the 50X range? I didn't try to check it, I just know it wasn't turned up all the way). I really had not thought I would be able to get that kind of resolution, so I was pretty happy. I should point out that I was using Birchwood Casey splatter targets, which definitely make the holes more visible.

I have the regular 100mm Ultima spotting scope, which I bought from Optics Planet, that falls in your price range. You may be able to purchase one from a Snipers Hide vendor for less than what I paid.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/celestron-ultima-100-spotting-scope.html

If I had to do it over again, I would buy the Celestron Regal 100mm scope, which has the ED glass, but is significantly more expensive (~$700.00). It wasn't available at the time I purchased mine. I should also warn you up front, this thing is a HAWG! If you don't feel like toting a Mark 48 torpedo-sized spotting scope to and from the range, then this is not for you. Having said that, it allowed me to see .308 holes in a splatter target at 550 yd, and I'm pretty certain that on a reasonably sunny day, it would be good out to 600.

Edit: I should add that the glass quality on the one I have is ok, but in no way outstanding. That is why I would probably try to get the higher quality ED glass if I had to do it over again. I also have a Burris 60mm (60X) scope and I can tell you that even though the glass is better, there is absolutely no way I could have seen the .308 holes at 550 yd with it. My eyes are not that great...in fact, pretty crappy. So my feeling is that the 100 mm objective DOES buy you something, even though there are many opinions to the contrary. JMO.

ADDED 12/28/10: Spent Christmas Day at the range...pretty cloudy and dark. Could still see .308 holes in a Birchwood-Casey splatter target at 600 yd, no problem.

You will probably laugh, but I bought a cheap 25-75x75 "Trekker" spotting scope from Cabella's for $49.95 on sale, and it does an amazing job for such a cheap optic. Granted, it is not a Nikon or a Leupold, but for $50 it is very adequate and even with my poor eyesight I can see hits at 500+ yards.

The big difference is if you have it set to 30X and zoom in to 75x you will need to refocus and fiddle with it a little. A good scope should hold focus throughout the entire zoom range. It is definitely NOT a bet-your-life sniper spotting scope, but more than adequite for a day at the range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Das_Shiffty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I have the same I think its a good scope for the money but throw the tripod away its super crap. </div></div>

Agree - I saw that pointed out in reviews for most spotting scopes, so I actually bought my tripod first
smile.gif

As has been mentioned, the biggest factor in seeing anything at 600 yards is mirage. The Hubble would have difficulty at my range on a hot sunny day in the summer, as the mirage is just too great (we shoot over a swamp, so it is particularly bad). On overcast days, I have been able to make out 30 caliber bullets, and sometimes even 223 caliber bullets, at 600 yards with the setup below. Note that I use Shoot-N-C targets, which is the ONLY way you are going to have any chance at all of seeing your shots.

I use a Celestron C90, which is a maksutov style telescope. It uses mirrors to fold the light path, rather than glass lenses to refract it. The benefits are that it is lighter and cheaper for similar optics, and these designs excel at higher magnifications. The downside is that you are limited in the lower magnification limit. The focal length is 1250mm, and the biggest eyepiece I found is a Celestron Omni 40mm. This gives a magnification of just over 30x, which is just barely acceptable when mirage is really bad. Ideally, I'd be able to back it off a little more, but that won't happen with this scope. The flip side is you can even a 20mm eyepiece - which is still considered quite big as far as eyepieces go - and have a very usuable 60x scope. Light gathering can be an issue of course as the light gets less around dusk, but the 90mm objective helps.

For a tripod, I'm using a Giottos MT9241. I bought it as a travel tripod for my DSLR camera, but it works great for my scope. Small enough to fit next to you comfortably in prone, large enough to shoot offhand, and large enough to keep thing nice and steady. I'm fit a http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/318594-REG/Giottos_MH_5001_MH_5001_3_Way_Pan_Tilt_Head.html Giottos MH-5001 3 way head on the tripod. I find I like the 3 way head better for shooting, as it is much easier to set each axis individually for a static target.

Everything above should keep you within your $500 price range total.

Managed to get another shot through my FLP Excursion with the iphone, this time at the 100y range. It doesn't quite show what your see with your eye through the scope. Also the uploaded image looses resolution from the original, but it's a data-point for reference.

.223 holes at 100y using 30x
The bottom two targets are unused.

IMG_0623.jpg

I'll toss out a recommendation for the bushnell FFP spotter. I had little trouble seeing holes punched from my 308 at 600 yards with it. Given this was at a range in the mountains on a 50F day but still...the glass is capable if the conditions don't screw you.

The Konus does an ok job while staying well under the price point you are looking at. I've been pleasantly surprised with it. On a clear day with little mirage I can see .30 cal hits on shoot n c targets at 600yrds. 500yrds seems to be much easier with no problem at 400yrds and less. I would say it would be hard to see hits unless conditions are perfect and maybe not even then without using the shoot n c targets at 600yrds. Hits on steel I would feel very confident you would be able to see with it. The bipod isn't worth much, but it is usable. As the sun starts to go down you will quickly notice the optic clarity decrease dramatically. That said one day I will upgrade, but for now, going to the range on a nice sunny day for the money the konus fits the bill.

i looked through a big 20-60x konus this weekend. 60x looking at a plate 400 yds was not that great. i was not that impressed. the 20-40x leupold spotter looked a lot better than the konus when both were on the same powers. the leupold was also small enough to pack around.