• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spotting scope

AK74U

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2021
Atlanta
Looking at Vortex Viper HD, Bushnell Nitro, Leupold SX-4 Pro Guide, Athlon Ares G2, and Bushnell Forge spotting scopes. All will be 20-60x magnification. 80mm minimum objective lens. Looking for something that can see 1,000 yards minimum. The Bushnell Forge is the highest price out of the list here. What should I go with?

Even a 40-45x top end can easily spot past 1000.
My spotter has a 60mm objective and I regularly use it to spot past a mile.

Reactions: Baron23
Mostly shots on steel, maybe out to a mile distance wise. Up to 2,000 yards. Thanks.
Where I shoot I have a lot of dirt and can spot misses a little easier. I'm able to shoot to 2100 yards. I've used Vortex viper hd and Athlon ares but the 65mm version. I use my rifle scope a lot to spot for other people but honestly out of those options I'd just pick the best warranty and the one you like and go with it. My dad owns the Athlon cronus 85mm it does good but with his older eyes he has problems spotting for me at 1 mile but he's also very new to the long range game

Reactions: AK74U
Can get a good deal on the Vortex Viper HD. But looking for the best overall value. I'm really leaning towards the Leupold SX-4, Bushnell Forge, or Viper HD. Don't have any experience with Athlon brand.

Where I shoot I have a lot of dirt and can spot misses a little easier. I'm able to shoot to 2100 yards. I've used Vortex viper hd and Athlon ares but the 65mm version. I use my rifle scope a lot to spot for other people but honestly out of those options I'd just pick the best warranty and the one you like and go with it. My dad owns the Athlon cronus 85mm it does good but with his older eyes he has problems spotting for me at 1 mile but he's also very new to the long range game

Can get a good deal on the Vortex Viper HD. But looking for the best overall value. I'm really leaning towards the Leupold SX-4, Bushnell Forge, or Viper HD. Don't have any experience with Athlon brand.
Any of those will treat you well.

Athlon is like Vortex great warranty I find there stuff better than Vortex. The bushnell never looked threw or the leupold can help there. Had one leupold mark 4 spotter and wasn't impressed. What is your budget?

$1,000. EO has a deal on demo Viper HD for $699. Might just take that and be happy. But the Athlon was maybe $100 more give or take than the Viper. Will check out some YouTube videos on the Athlon spotting scopes.

Athlon is like Vortex great warranty I find there stuff better than Vortex. The bushnell never looked threw or the leupold can help there. Had one leupold mark 4 spotter and wasn't impressed. What is your budget?

Reactions: Schw15
$1,000. EO has a deal on demo Viper HD for $699. Might just take that and be happy. But the Athlon was maybe $100 more give or take than the Viper. Will check out some YouTube videos on the Athlon spotting scopes.
Check the px might even grab a Vortex razor gen 2 for $1000 sometimes. Check out
Check out the px might grab a razor gen 2 spotter for $1000 also liberty optics he's a hide supporter and commercial sales he usually has great deals on Vortex.

I really wanted the NF TS-80 that was listed here, but sold. I'll keep my eyes peeled. Thanks.

Check the px might even grab a Vortex razor gen 2 for $1000 sometimes. Check out

Check out the px might grab a razor gen 2 spotter for $1000 also liberty optics he's a hide supporter and commercial sales he usually has great deals on Vortex.

Take a look at the Athlon Ares 20-60x85
  • Aprochromatic Lens System: Apochromatic lense system gives you the result of images which have greater contrast, sharpness and color definition
  • UHD Glass: Extra-Low Dispersion glass gives you an image with little or no chromatic fringe so the final result brings an ultimate clearest and sharpest image to your eyes
  • ESP Dielectric Coating: ESP Dielectric Coating is a multi layer prism coating that reflects over 99% of the light to your eyes bringing you a clear, bright image that displays accurate color reproduction.
  • Magnesium Chassis: Magnesium chassis give you the strength of a metal chassis while reducing the weight as much as 30%
  • XPL Coating: XPL Coating gives you an extra protection on the exterior lenses from dirt, oil and scratches
  • Bak4 Prism: Bak-4 glass prisms reflect more light to your eyes which will give you brighter and sharper image.
  • Advanced Fully Multi-Coated: Advanced Fully Multi-Coated lenses gives you better light transmission to bring optimum brightness and true color across the entire light spectrum.
  • Argon Purged: Argon Purging uses the inertia gas with bigger size molecules to purge any moisture out of the tube giving you better waterproofing and thermal stability .
  • Waterproof: Waterproof to protects the binocular in the harshest weather conditions or if accidently submerged underwater
  • Rotating Ring: Rotating Ring allows you to rotate the scope around tripod supporting ring into the most comfortable and convenient angle for observation
Our pleasure to discuss this and other options with you if you have a few minutes to give a call, 516-217-1000

Will do.

Take a look at the Athlon Ares 20-60x85
  • Aprochromatic Lens System: Apochromatic lense system gives you the result of images which have greater contrast, sharpness and color definition
  • UHD Glass: Extra-Low Dispersion glass gives you an image with little or no chromatic fringe so the final result brings an ultimate clearest and sharpest image to your eyes
  • ESP Dielectric Coating: ESP Dielectric Coating is a multi layer prism coating that reflects over 99% of the light to your eyes bringing you a clear, bright image that displays accurate color reproduction.
  • Magnesium Chassis: Magnesium chassis give you the strength of a metal chassis while reducing the weight as much as 30%
  • XPL Coating: XPL Coating gives you an extra protection on the exterior lenses from dirt, oil and scratches
  • Bak4 Prism: Bak-4 glass prisms reflect more light to your eyes which will give you brighter and sharper image.
  • Advanced Fully Multi-Coated: Advanced Fully Multi-Coated lenses gives you better light transmission to bring optimum brightness and true color across the entire light spectrum.
  • Argon Purged: Argon Purging uses the inertia gas with bigger size molecules to purge any moisture out of the tube giving you better waterproofing and thermal stability .
  • Waterproof: Waterproof to protects the binocular in the harshest weather conditions or if accidently submerged underwater
  • Rotating Ring: Rotating Ring allows you to rotate the scope around tripod supporting ring into the most comfortable and convenient angle for observation
Our pleasure to discuss this and other options with you if you have a few minutes to give a call, 516-217-1000

I really wanted the NF TS-80 that was listed here, but sold. I'll keep my eyes peeled. Thanks.

I believe the nightforce spotters are made by meopta and the meopta branded ones are very similar. New is still above your price range but might give you a broader used market to search.

I think I might make it higher and get the Athlon Cronus 20x-60x. Lots of reviews recommend that make and model.

I believe the nightforce spotters are made by meopta and the meopta branded ones are very similar. New is still above your price range but might give you a broader used market to search.

I think I might make it higher and get the Athlon Cronus 20x-60x. Lots of reviews recommend that make and model.
I just looked camralandny has the new g2 for $799 that is a no Brainer man lol we have the g1 and I think they use to be $1599

• Haha
I just looked camralandny has the new g2 for $799 that is a no Brainer man lol we have the g1 and I think they use to be $1599
There might be a reason for that. If the gen 1 were Japanese made they might have changed production to China or elsewhere. When I was shopping I found that the vortex razor spotters that everyone liked so well had been discontinued and the new models were made in China. I ended up with a baby kowa but want to get a full size at some point and will probably do the meopta 80. I found info that they are assembled in the US but don't know where the glass is from. Probably Europe.

There might be a reason for that. If the gen 1 were Japanese made they might have changed production to China or elsewhere. When I was shopping I found that the vortex razor spotters that everyone liked so well had been discontinued and the new models were made in China. I ended up with a baby kowa but want to get a full size at some point and will probably do the meopta 80. I found info that they are assembled in the US but don't know where the glass is from. Probably Europe.
Yeah I knew Vortex switched to China on everything but the razor rifle scope. I had a kowa 554 that was an amazing spotter. But not sure on Athlon I think everything is China made besides there rifle scope cronus

Yeah I knew Vortex switched to China on everything but the razor rifle scope. I had a kowa 554 that was an amazing spotter. But not sure on Athlon I think everything is China made besides there rifle scope cronus

I have a 553 and it's amazing for the size/weight. Just picked up some kowa binos from Doug and they're really nice as well. Glass isn't quite as good as my swaro but they're half the price and a lot smaller and lighter.

I have a 553 and it's amazing for the size/weight. Just picked up some kowa binos from Doug and they're really nice as well. Glass isn't quite as good as my swaro but they're half the price and a lot smaller and lighter.
Yeah I had the 553 not 554. It was great while I had it. Oh nice what kind are those binos?

I have an sx-4. Can easily see the elk, and spot the bulls on a hill 5 miles from my front door.

It's better glass than the old gold ring.

I like it better than the razor.

Only downside is 20-60x is too much for rimfire matches. It stays on 20x almost always. I'll grab a mark 4 12-40x for that at some point.

Reactions: AK74U and Schw15
I figured the Leupy would have some good points. 5 miles is more than enough for my shooting needs.

I have an sx-4. Can easily see the elk, and spot the bulls on a hill 5 miles from my front door.

It's better glass than the old gold ring.

I like it better than the razor.

Only downside is 20-60x is too much for rimfire matches. It stays on 20x almost always. I'll grab a mark 4 12-40x for that at some point.

I figured the Leupy would have some good points. 5 miles is more than enough for my shooting needs.

That's barely getting into it. The damn thing will let me focus on the moon. Clearly see all the craters, and the focus still isn't maxed out.

• Haha
Do it. I had a Viper and sent it back the next day and ordered a Cronus from Doug. Big difference between the 2. No ragerts🤪.