• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing SPR Boltface

223ai

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2006
Texas
I am currently having a .308 built on an FN SPR action from CDNN using a Brux 10 twist finishing at 20 inches, CDI Mag system, and a McMillan A3 stock. I like the action, and it was surprisingly smooth from the get go. Interestingly enough, I've read of some people having primer cratering issues with these actions and I think my gunsmith might have found the culprit:

SPRBoltfaceA.jpg

SPRBoltfaceB.jpg

My gunsmith had this to say:

"Will cause primer cratering that will look like pressure signs. I can bush the hole to make it crisp as it should be. I would go ahead and go to a .062" diameter pin since we are bushing it(further eliminates cratering). I can turn your stock pin down to .062"

Here are the after pics:

SPRBoltfaceAFterA.jpg

SPRBoltfaceAfterB.jpg

He also found that firing pin protrusion was only about .040", should be .050-.060", and corrected that.

Just wanted to share the pics, as I thought they were really interesting.

Best,
Josh

Re: SPR Boltface

No pics of the brass as I haven't fired a round with this action. My post should have read that some other people with SPR actions have some cratering "issues". I think the brass marks are from test firing at the factory. I bought the action from CDNN Sports.

Bolt -

Some kind if microscope rigged up with a camera attachment. This gunsmith has serious attention to detail....

Josh

Yeah those are damn good pics, good thing you have a smith that pays attention. Is it surprising that FN would let this slip? Just thinking out loud here.

I'm not surprised; it's just an ole' factory rifle. And most of the pin holes in bolts of factory rifles are too darn big. The pin hole in my AI/AE is too big and needs bushed. CCI#41 primers compensate for the misstep in manufacturing the bolt. Tubb's rifles don't have this problem.

What is the name of the smith that did the work?? Great looking job;)

Kenny Porter. Local guy that doesn't builds rifles for a living but heart pumps. He also builds parts for one of the best known shooter out there...

Sorry for the delay, we are in Napa pounding wine right now....

Bacarrat nailed it, Kenny Porter is his name.