• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SPR: PRS or A2...?

plong

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 13, 2010
    USA
    I’m wrapping up an SPR build and I’m really on the fence regarding the buttstock. I have an A2 I was planning to use but I’ve also had my eye on a Magpul PRS for some time now. The reason I didn’t go with the PRS in my original plan was that I’ve heard mixed reviews of the ergos, especially the cheek riser since it has to be so far back on the stock to accommodate the charging handle. I’d love to hear from those that have/use the PRS as well as those who considered, or better yet tried it, and went another direction. Thanks for your help!

Re: SPR: PRS or A2...?

plenty of room for the raising cheekpiece and the charging handle..

I went all out with my GAP, I had trouble finding a stable rear bag because none of mine are tall enough, so i went the monopod route. It works pretty well, but i still go back to the rear bag on the occasion(now that i found a taller one). If i could do it again, i would have saved my money and gone with the a2 stock and put the extra 200+ dollars towards reloading accesseries.

try the a2. if your not satisfied try a rifle with the PRS and see if you like it

just my opinion

I like mine. I've had no eye relief problems and as far as I am concerned it is a vast improvement over the A2 stock.

I have two SPR style rifles, one has a PRS and the other has an A2 with an Accuracy Speaks adjustable buttplate. Unfortunately, I'm not sure which I like better yet.

I really like my A2. I did have some cheek weld problems due to the mount being too high. Easily resolved with lower rings.

It all depends on how you shoot. I had a PRS for awhile but ended up going a different route due to the length and weight of the PRS. I shoot nose to charging handle and run shorter stocks on AR's.

But the PRS stocks are very functional for most people.

I'm a PRS guy. On the 5.56 PRS, the cheek piece is a little longer so you don't have to get a cheekweld as far back.

It is expensive and heavier though.

I'm also a PRS guy. In my opinion, it's the best stock available for a semi-auto SPR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sgtbutt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">UBR, sorry to throw in the wrench to your thought process, but UBR </div></div>

Thanks for the input so far...keep it coming!

I actually have a UBR on my 16" mid-length carbine; great stock. I really like how it balances the middy but I'm looking to go a different direction for this build.

Any more comments on the cheek weld/riser location on the PRS?

I was thinking CTR with Larue RISR for my P308 but I'm going PRS first. Its in the mail so I haven't tried it yet. My scope sits fairly low on the rail without a 20MOA cant but my LMT lacks just enough height so the cheek weld sucks. The RISR might be perfect for me but I don't know anybody that has one for me to check. If I come across one used I might try it also.

I'll post in here when I get the PRS mounted up, should be in a few days.

I use and like the A2 for my MK12. I think the A2 is very effective and you can't beat the price.

I had a PRS on my Mega before the UBR. It was a great stock but for 308 the cheek rest was too far back for me. Once I put on the Warne RAMP I no longer needed the cheek rest which is why I went UBR. On an AR15 it should work better though. I did just put another UBR on my 6.8 instead of an A2.

For my SPR build I used a M.A.G.S. EFX-A1 stock. The complete kit sells for $100 from Stag Arms, and it is the length of an A1 stock with the feel of a SOPMOD.

I like the PRS. It feels a little more solid and it's nice to have adjustments

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sgtbutt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">UBR, sorry to throw in the wrench to your thought process, but UBR </div></div>

UBR here too for this role. PRS holds no appeal for me. Cheek piece is too far back to get the shooter properly behind the rifle without lengthening the stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sgtbutt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">UBR, sorry to throw in the wrench to your thought process, but UBR </div></div>

UBR here too for this role. PRS holds no appeal for me. Cheek piece is too far back to get the shooter properly behind the rifle without lengthening the stock. </div></div>
    LMT SOPMOD

UBR. Like others have said I found the cheekpiece was too far back to be of any use on the PRS.

I have a PRS on precision AR I finished building a little while back. It's heavy, and it took a lot of playing with the cheekpiece and the LOP to get it to be comfortable for me. But overall, I'm pretty happy with it.

I have PRS's on two rifles and the ergonomics work great for me.
    I run them short with the cheeckpiece up about 1/2".

Thanks guys! For those that use an A2: do you use a stock pack or not...?

I find the PRS to be horrible and ridiculous YMMV. Have you considered the ACS?

I need the PRS on my 308 AR to get my head in the right position due to the height of the rings needed for a 56mm obj to clear. I dont have need for the length adjustments. Before I mounted the monopod to the PRS I found the flat-rounded bottom worked well when using a rear bag.
    On my 556 SPR I have a UBR and am very happy with it EXCEPT when I feel the need to use a rear bag.

Me no understand.

Why not let ergonomics drive the choice? Do you need more comb height? What about an A2 with some closed cell and duct tape? Need more LOP and comb height + weight to balance the front end? Yeah a PRS isn't a bad choice.

Good luck

I rock a PRS & extended butt pad to get the proper cheek weld and height. on the minus i have my optic moved pretty far back to compensate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: plong</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys! For those that use an A2: do you use a stock pack or not...? </div></div>
    I have a riser on my A2. I have no idea what brand it is. It seems like a custom piece because I have never seen one. it replaces the factory butt plate with an aluminum one. Kydex then wraps around the stock and is attached by screws to the aluminum piece. The same can be achieved with the proper ring height.

I use an A2 on my SPR and 24" target AR.

I do not need the adjustability of the magpul stock, the A2 fits nearly perfect to my shoulder.

I usually do not use a rear bag, but Whidden Gunworks makes a nice monopod for the A2 if you want something to support the rear.
    Midway Whidden Monopod

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SpiritZeroThree</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just for the sake of argument, don't the Mk12's use an A-1 stock? </div></div>

I've seen all kinds of stocks on MK12s. I think some have A1 stocks because some were built on A1 lower receivers.

I've got a A2 on my MK12 clone and it's the perfect length for me.

I had an A2 on my Mk12 Mod 0 build, but switched to the LMT SOPMOD. I am glad I did.

005-3.jpg

Mine wears an A2. Good stock for the $80 I paid for it. I don't have problems with cheek weld either, but I don't shoot NTCH. I like the looks of the PRS and want to try one but not for 200+. If weight is a concern go with the A2. Mine weighs around 8lbs with an 18" SPR barrel and a 13" VTAC rail.

I have tried the PRS on other rifles and like it in some applications. However, IMO it is to specialized and heavy for a DMR. I went with the A2 and have no complaints.

[img

Uploaded with ImageShack.usimg]

I also have 2 SPR's, a "Heavy" with a PRS, and a "Light" with a CTR or SOPMOD.

I like them both a lot.

Thanks guys!

PDDundee: What stock pack is that?

I've been very impressed with the UBR.

I have PRS on -10 and -15, works but I'm not all that happy with the stock overall.

I started with an A2 on my 16" "DMR"ish gun. It had it's pro's and cons. It was pretty lightweight but not very versatile between prone/bench/standing without a stock pad.

I put on a PRS and do not regret my decision at all. Although it's a little heavier; having a fully adjustable LOP and cheek riser; plus a little rail section for a rear monopod, it's definitely worth it! And no charging issues either for me.

d072ba21.jpg

I am running a PRS on my build. I had a UBR on it but couldnt get the right right cheek weld height so I went for the PRS. The stock is great, LOP and cheek weld height is very adjustable and I dont find it too far back at all.