• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Springfield a3o3

jhedg

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2005
Gator Nation
anyone make a tactical style stock for that type of action, I am going to send one off for a re-barrel job.

Re: Springfield a3o3

Before you tear up an A303, I hope you are aware than intact it's worth some bucks. Also the A303 was built to very loose wartime tolerences with "wartime steel" (safe but not like a prewar 03). Being an 03' nut (50+ years) I would suggest you look for a WW II rebulid of a real 03' or a sporterized version of one. You'll have a lot better action to start with. A Springfield Arsenal # 850,000 to about 1,300,000 will give you a double heat treated action which is smoother than greased kitty litter and was the strongest 03' ever built. You can probably find some shade tree sporter for under $500 and part out the stock and barrel.

For stocks try http://www.gun-parts.com/militarystocks/

"tactical rifle" circa 1910

ah2924265003.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">I have a Remington 1903A3 (recent purchase) that I practice my iron sights shooting with (43 receiver- 44 2 groove barrel) produced this 15 shot 100 yard group last Sunday. My reloads Hornady 150gr FMJ over IMR 4895</span>
Dsc01061.jpg

1903A31.jpg

Re: Springfield 03A3

that's some fine shooting. The 03a3 reputation's is well founded. Mine is a RA 4 grove 44 barrel. Plan to shoot more before scoping it. Your load uses 150g bullet. Does it favor 150g over heaver bullets?

Haven't seen any drop in tactical stocks. The link below 03 customized stock references.

03 stocks

That's off sand bags - wished it was standing off-hand
wink.gif

Actually it'll shoot the 175-SMKs even a little tighter. I had a 1000 of the 150s in my bullet bin and I'm just saving the 175's for some long range tactical matches.
After about 30-40 rounds from the 03A3 I'm done - 150s recoil not too bad, however, 175 and 190 you can really feel the heavier bullets - hammer your shoulder (no butt pad - it's the real deal).

I am sorry, the 03A3, compared to a good interwar 03 is a piece of crap. Substandard steel, stamped parts, lousy wood etc. The only thing it had going for it was the aperture sight. As issued they do have some collectors value but spending a dime on them in upgrades is throwing away your $. By the time you get done you could buy a fine interwar National Match or even an NRA sporter and have a historic tack driver that will only appreciate in value. The 03A3 was only made because the Rock Island machines used to make the Remington 1903s in 41,2,&3 was worn out AND all the other contractors could not produce M-1s fast enough. Recruits were even being trained with P-17s pulled out of storage!
Before buying any 03' you would be well to invest in the Brophy, Canfield and Harrison books (at minimum).
An A303 is a nice reenactor's rifle and fun to shoot but trying to make it into a precision rifle is a prize not worth the quest.
Picture#1: Look at the quality of this NRA sporter and compare it to an 03A3.
Like comparing a pre war Model 70 Supergrade to a Mossberg 100ATR.
Picture#2: A deluxe grade R.F. Sedgley built on a DHT 03 action. Do you really think an 03A3 could ever look like this?

pix280460203.jpg

DSCN1812.jpg

I wonder what type of barrel & shooting (target-competition-hunting) application it's for - based on that answer it would be easier to determine his specific needs. He may be just having a replacement 2 or 4 groove barrel from SARCO or Numrich screwed on to it.
I agree with the Humble that it's probably not worth trying to make a tactical rifle out of it. Plenty of receiver/barrel manufacturers and gunsmiths that can build to your tactical or whatever specific needs, or you can find used one here in the Equipment For Sale Section.
1903A3 is a fun US military rifle to own and shoot target or in Military Rifle Matches (like my Swiss K31 or Garands) however, in no way will it keep up with my AICS or Tube rifles (course there wearing glass).

Hey dont make fun of me, you miss spelled " What the Fuck" sorry to many beers. I got it cheap and it was already sporterized, that is the 1903A3 I mean, and<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">a3o3? WTF?

I guess you are talking about the Springfield 1903A3, aka '03A3. </div></div>

"sorry TO many beers" try "sorry TOO many beers"

Just trying to save you from wasting your $

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: latisimusd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's off sand bags - wished it was standing off-hand
wink.gif

Actually it'll shoot the 175-SMKs even a little tighter. I had a 1000 of the 150s in my bullet bin and I'm just saving the 175's for some long range tactical matches.
After about 30-40 rounds from the 03A3 I'm done - 150s recoil not too bad, however, 175 and 190 you can really feel the heavier bullets - hammer your shoulder (no butt pad - it's the real deal). </div></div>

Used sand bags from bench. Take every advantage available. Rifle needed fix for vertical strings once done it shooting now.

This m2 ball is Greek 1967 vintage. 0.5moa yesterday with LC M2.

25a19mr.jpg

latisimusd I believe you the 175s are tighter. That's what I got today. The R-P Palmer Match 180g was no more painful than greek ball. Think the greek is loaded hotter than LC ball. LC noticeably softer and more accurate.

w1vjlv.jpg

At 200y due to blurring vision did some eye distance focusing exercises before each shot.

2zhnwn9.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">1917,
When I first got my 1903A3 (for all you spell checkers), I fired some of my .30 M2 Lot-1103-HXP-67, it does cause the floaters in my eyes to get movin
cry.gif
It's much hotter than the 47gr of Varget over the 150s. Sure make shooting that stuff out of the Garand pretty tame. The gas system sure tames alot of the 30.06 energy. Although I guess I kinda like the punishment, the 03A3 dishes out.
crazy.gif

I like your idea of the green tape to outline the 200 yd target. It seem to be "real" blurry for me as well.
Good/safe shootin to all!</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: latisimusd</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">1917,
When I first got my 1903A3 (for all you spell checkers), I fired some of my .30 M2 Lot-1103-HXP-67, it does cause the floaters in my eyes to get movin
cry.gif
It's much hotter than the 47gr of Varget over the 150s. Sure make shooting that stuff out of the Garand pretty tame. The gas system sure tames alot of the 30.06 energy. Although I guess I kinda like the punishment, the 03A3 dishes out.
crazy.gif

I like your idea of the green tape to outline the 200 yd target. It seem to be "real" blurry for me as well.
Good/safe shootin to all!</span> </div></div>

We are thinking along the same lines. Today shot some HXP out my garand and the groups were tighter in the 03a3. In the spirit of taking every advantage the added Smith comp and adjustable gas ports keeps this garand on target no matter what.

thanks for the load data and hope the green outline works for you.
jim

I use the HDY 150gr HPBT over 50gr of IMR-4064. I don't like anything over 150gr in '06, I think the recoil isn't necessary; but if I were going to use the '06 at 1000yd, I think the 168 would be GTG.

The '03 is just too light for use with heavier bullets, IMHO; and that's why I sold mine and held onto my Garand.

My only regret is that I sold it before I met STP, and I think he could have gotten some good use out of my old one. It was a non-typical Smith Carona 03A3 with an 03A1 star barrel dated 1939 and 03A1 sight.

I did a GI style stock (plain boiled linseed) refinishing, and glassbedded it, and it shot really nicely, but I was undergoing Chemo at the time, and I just threw in the towel because of the punishment I was getting from the recoil.

I was new to the shooting game, and learned a lot about intrinsic values from that mistake.

Greg

30 cal round can be stout and punishing no doubt. Sporting couple bruises today partly from not squaring up with the beast and driving into her. I did order a case of 30 ammo from cmp and plan to get to know her better.

Something is appealing about a quick and maneuverable battle \tactical rifle. A Rem 700 243 will arguably fill the bill without the punishment. But for me without the history that flashes from a stock RA 03.

An 03 would never cross my mind when my KMW weighting in at 18# fills the bill. Two different rifles for different missions. I also shoot 22 rifles. No one rifle can be a do all end all rifle.

So Sitting on the bench shooting sub moa with a rifle over 100 yrs old with history speaks to a part of me that's hard to articulate.

Greg, thanks for the load data. I'm a new reloader.
jim