• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Springfield Armory M1A

Ammo for me

Private
Minuteman
Oct 3, 2011
Here we go I hope this post ends up in the correct spot. I am looking to pick up a Springfield M1A and am trying to decide which one to get. Here is what I will be using it for:
coyote hunting, deer hunting, target fun out to 500 yrds. I would like to have quick handling and quick sight acquisition. So far I really like the socom ii 16" barrel but am wondering if the 18" would give better accuracy???
Thanks for any input.

Re: Springfield Armory M1A

If you're going to use iron sights, the longer barrel would be better because of the longer sight radius.

When I first joined the army (1966) we still used M14s. Even with the 22 inch barrel they are quite fast as far as sight acquisition.

I got my M1A in 1978, kept it full lenght. Never found the 22 inch barrel to be an inconvience.

Thanks for the response Kraig. Not sure about optics yet, really want to see how I do with irons first. I was also wondering about ammo for the rifle. I contacted Springfield and they said .308 commercial ammo is fine but don't use 180 grain or steel casings or soft points bullets.

I have the 18" version, not saying its better or worse, just my preference. I shoot commercial ammo and surplus out of it just fine. It would be a fine rifle for any of your uses. I would recommend sticking to iron sights. Mounting optics and using match ammo to try and get tiny little groups can be costly. Keep it simple and enjoy they hell out of it.

If you wanting something for sport/hunting I would recommend the shorter the better and for 500yds it really won't make enough of a difference to justify the extra barrel length. I have used and owned all of them and I agree 100% on iron sight go with the longer barrel. If you are going for the optics setup then short 16" is gtg just have to remove the Flash Development Device (aka muzzle brake) on the SOCOM and replace it with a decent muzzle brake or flash hider.

For hunting, I'd go with one of the more basic models. Shot a run and gun with one a couple weeks ago with a composite stock and no frills and it was a dream. Great balance and I couldn't believe how nice it handled. Easy target acquisition as well.

The high end models are nice and have a place but they do add weight.

Thanks everyone for the great response.

The socom is a loud, inaccurate, obnoxious abortion of a rifle and the socom 2 is a heavier and costlier version. Maybe look at the scout or standard synthetic models they handle well and are usually a bit more accurate out of the box.

If you want an accurate 16" carbine an AR in 308 is a better option.

I would recommend the scout. It will allow for the quick handling and sight acquisition that you are seeking. I have a leupold scout scope on mine but a simple red dot or irons work fine as well. Mine eats steel cases and soft points without any problems at all.

The irons on the Socom would not be good at 500 yards or small targets like coyote, I can shoot the irons out to 100 yards pretty well. Get a Scout or a Loaded. I put a red dot on my Socom, it helps a lot past 100 yards.

IMG_4981.jpg

very nice collection there. What do you guys print for groups on an average? will that 16" print 2 MOA??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ammo for me</div><div class="ubbcode-body">very nice collection there. What do you guys print for groups on an average? will that 16" print 2 MOA?? </div></div>

All at 100 yards
The Socom will do this with the irons:
IMG_2051.jpg

I shot this with the Loaded a couple weeks ago, a full 20 round mag, I've done better with it.
IMG_4771.jpg

I shot this with the M21 at JamieD's long range shooting school in July, 6 shot group.
IMG_4696.jpg

shit , thats pretty dam good. How do you like the forward handle on the 16"?

I had a SOCOM 16 for a while and really enjoyed the compactness of it, especially when going through brush. It is loud, but so are most guns lol. I never had many issues with accuracy, if you are really concerned it's really easy to through a red dot on the scout rail. I would stay away from the SOCOM II because it is realllllllyyyy heavy. If you can get just a bottom rail for a vert fore grip i would recommend it, helps a lot!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ammo for me</div><div class="ubbcode-body">shit , thats pretty dam good. How do you like the forward handle on the 16"?
</div></div>

It's a grip pod, I like it because its also a light bipod.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ammo for me</div><div class="ubbcode-body">very nice collection there. What do you guys print for groups on an average? will that 16" print 2 MOA?? </div></div>

Socom is about a 2MOA rifle. If you want a 16" semi auto rifle that groups like this:

S5003211.jpg

then you're better off with one of these:

S5003216.jpg

I built that rifle minus the scope for less than what a socom costs, weight is about 9lbs unloaded unscoped. I've seen some really hot 16-18" M1A setups but they had anywhere from 3-4k in them
eek.gif

Like I said earlier look at the scout m1a or maybe a standard/loaded. I saw a scout go for 1200 on another forum not too long ago...

edit: if you want to know how I built it PM me and I'll tell you how/where I got parts, what to use and what to avoid etc...not hard at all to put together I think it took an hour and a half to assemble...

I have a Scout and love it though to be honest I never did handle A 16" version but the 18 does everything I ask and more plus its nice to be able to crawl through thick brush without having the BBL hang on everything like my M1 does. I've seen ppl do well out to 300 yrds or so with the 16 so I would imagine the 18 can do well out to 500 with help from you of course. And one last thing the 16 incher doesn't have as much aftermarket as the 18 or 22 as the gas system was redesigned and allot of parts are not compatible with it I believe stocks are one of the biggest contributors to accuracy in these such as the JAE and Sage I don't know for sure but I don't think some of them will work with the 16 incher. If I need a shorter BBL I've got a Para FAL w/16 inch BBL for that

I think a scout with a 3-9 scope would be great for your needs (like the SWFA 3-9x42). I know you said quick sight acquisition, but with good fundamentals (cheek weld) I think you can acquire just as fast with a scope as with a red dot. Faster than irons since you only have one piece (reticle) to worry about than two (front and rear sight). That's been my experience.

150 gr SST 43 gr IMR4865 10 shot group by Hillbilly Skeeter, on Flickr

BlackHills Gold 155 gr AMAX 5 shot group by Hillbilly Skeeter, on Flickr

The top is a 10 shot group with some cool 150 gr SST reloads. The bottom is a 5 shot group with Black Hills Gold 155 gr AMAX. All at roughly 100 yards. This is with a 1980's era M1A National Match. Cheap rifle through the CMP. Im currently workin at sub-moa with sst reloads and working on my own 178 gr AMAX load. Looks promising so far, but no pics yet....

since you were talking about hunting, pay close attention to the top group. I'm using a cheap 10x Nikon Mil-Dot scope and can easily hit a gallon jug, and on good days, an Ovaltine bottle at 300-350 yards. The 150 gr SST would be a great white-tail sized game load, its mild recoiling, expands well, and is accurate to boot. Even after using an M16 and M4 in the service, I was never sold on the "black rifle". Give me an M14 an day of the week for an all purpose firearm. You can load down for varmints, load up for deer sized game, and load up again for some killer target loads. The weight makes recoil so much easier to handle for a day at the range. Ultimately it's your cash. Whatever makes you happier inside, well, only you know.

Nothing but great advice here at Snipers Hide, thanks everyone!

I have a M1A Scout,

It shoots rather well, I would say a 1.0-1.5 Moa gun at best 2.5 at worst.

I have it set up with a light and red dot. It works real well to 300 yards (Small MOA red dot)

My rig tips the scale unloaded at 11.8 pounds. M1A's are not known for being light. Thats with a synthetic stock, the wood ones are heavier.

I bought this close to 8-9 years ago. Back then Ar-10's were not what they are today. They were uber expensive, unreliable, way heavy.

Today, I would go the Ar-10 route, they have came along way.

To further your question regarding 18 vs 16". In a M1A size gun, your really not saving that much for a balistic and accuracy (Subjective) loss.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The socom is a loud, inaccurate, obnoxious abortion of a rifle and the socom 2 is a heavier and costlier version. Maybe look at the scout or standard synthetic models they handle well and are usually a bit more accurate out of the box.

If you want an accurate 16" carbine an AR in 308 is a better option.

</div></div>

lies. minus the loud part, its a fucking rifle

SOCOM II groups like a champ if you know how to shoot a real mans gun. only thing i dont like about it is the front sight post, its too fat.

I haven't shot my SOCOM lately, need to put another optics setup on it to really enjoy but it was about a 2moa setup with this last setup. One of the first things I did was get rid of the noise maker on the end and put a better muzzle brake on there which helped tremendously over the factory ported comp. When it was in the EBR w/NF 2.5-10x24 with Hornady TAP 168 AMAX I was averaging 1.5moa out to 500yds which is the range I normally used it for. I personally prefer the M1A over the AR-10 just due to the system itself. I know the AR10 can be built with better accuracy and lighter weight but its still not the M1A for me. If I really had my choice I would have the M1 Garand .308 even over the M1A just do to balance and lines.

I have the SAS QD Muzzle Brake installed which works nicely and no where near the report or signature as the ported comp which comes installed.
IMG_1941.jpg