• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Springfield Loaded back from the smith...

MinorDamage

Google-Fu Master
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2006
Edgewater, MD
First of all, a huge thanks to Ray Parga at Del Valle Gunsmithing.

I brought him what started life as a Springfield Loaded model. I had some work done on it by another big name smith and the checkering came back sub par. The line at the first cut was shorter than any of the other lines and the clean up at the top was rough (at best) even after bead blasting. All the rest of the work was great, the checkering "worked", the price was right, and I didn't see it worth my time and money to ship it back.

So, I moved from Norfolk to Monterey and happened upon Ray's (He goes by "Parga" on the hide) shop just 5 minutes north of me. I asked him to high cut the grip area and bead blast the pistol. Well, not only did he finish the work requested of him, but he also managed to recover the bad checkering! The high cut and checkering are FLAWLESS.

If you live anywhere in the US and are looking for quality work, send it to Ray...If you live in the central coast of Kali you have no reason not to give him a try. He is a class act, a wonderful smith, and a true gentleman.

Josh

vpjk07.jpg

33c5bux.jpg

Re: Springfield Loaded back from the smith...

That is a very well executed high cut, especially from what he started with. Beautiful outcome with the pistol, great endorsement for the smith...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JML403</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is a very well executed high cut, especially from what he started with.</div></div>

Unfortunately it doesn't show the line of checkering that was over cut. The peaks on that line were only half the height of the rest of the lines. It was very noticeable at arms length...more so on close inspection. If it didn't cost so much to overnight the pistol I might have sent it back. I am glad I didn't. This was the first time I had a gunsmith so close by. What a great experience.

Josh

this starts me itching for a nice 45. That is really nice.

Looks really nice! Mine looks just like it only with an MMC rear sight and different grips. But, I like your grips a lot better than mine. Where did you get them from?
JMC

They are monkey grips by Larry Davidson. The ones listed on his site are just a few of what he offers and sometimes he can do combinations. You won't see the 1* logo on the site, but he can do tons of custom designs. I would urge you to call him and chat with him. Super nice guy...I think the grips were between 60 and 70 bucks. You can find his work elsewhere but, in this case, it is DEFINITELY best to go through the source.

Larry Davidson Grips

Josh

Bumping this back to the top with an update...Sent the pistol back to Ray for a little work and this is the final product...minus a finishing job. It will be finished in either melonite or Ionbond.

Changes from the initial photos:
Installed Heine Straight Eights (The foresight was knocked out of the dovetail by the former smith BEFORE Ray got to do his magic)
Installed single side safety (For carry once I get back to the East Coast)

The man does fantastic work...I cannot recommend him enough.

102rrzk.jpg

Josh

Nice! Grips make me want to go get some vanilla wafer cookies.

Feeds all ammunition flawlessly. I still need to ring it out. I have been doing load development for my rifle and have only checked it for function. That said, I would estimate the groups to be right around 3" and slightly under at 25 yards.

Josh

I'm looking at a Springfield 1911 right now. Have't decided as to which model, bit I'm leaning towards the long slide. Nice work by your 'smith.
Steve

That looks really nice! What finish is on the frame, slide, etc?
One last thing, a magwell would look really nice on that Springfield!

Killzone,

Right now it is raw stainless as it came from the factory. The magwell is already nicely beveled and I personally have no need to put an extended one on the pistol. I like stainless steel, but prefer something with a bit more protection. That is why it will be headed out for Melonite or Ionbond.

Josh

Hmmnnn must be the light, doesnt look SS to me, but I believe you lol.

That is a nice bevel on the magwell (in addition to the rest of the work being top-rate).
From my limited dealings with him, Parga is g-t-g!!

Killzone,

It's the light. I have a home made light box that I do my photography in. The white balance is close, but I only was using 2 of the 4 lights I have because I break it back down when not in use. Trust me when I tell you it is stainless and uncoated.

BPA,

I am definitely looking at the Ionbond as my go to. However, Melonite is making a pretty hard case for itself. I do like the fact that the Ionbond is applied to all parts at about 400 degrees as opposed to Melonite at a little over 1000. Cost is a factor, so I will probably just save a bit longer.

sobr,

Ray is an amazing guy and does top notch work. Last time I was in the shop (to pick the 1911 up) he was telling me he has had such an influx of work he is there until 10 most nights. I guess that is a good problem to have. He knows his craft well and will not BS you. Honest, hard working, talented, and thorough is one hell of a combination.

Josh