• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Springfield M1 Garand

cattleman99

Snyder Precision LLC
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2018
Lincoln, NE
www.snyderprecision.com
I need some education on this one -

A gentleman brought in a Springfield Armory M1 Garand in 308. Says it was a CMP rifle, but I can't find any CMP stamps. Serial number is in the 7 millions so I believe it was made in the 80's. No box or papers, any idea what it is worth?

Stamped NM on the barrel.

80797151-4EB6-4D3F-B07A-D1AD2324C023.jpeg
EC1640A5-8309-45E8-ADBC-CC782927ECDB.jpeg
56D9C087-86EA-4B03-AA84-E28113C41B66.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: deltawiskey
Looks like the CMP will sell you one for $1000 right now. That’s with a new production stock and barrel though. Could give them a call, they might be able to look up the serial number if it came from them. Never ran into 308 Garand in person. Throw up some more pictures, let’s see this thing.

I need some education on this one -

A gentleman brought in a Springfield Armory M1 Garand in 308. Says it was a CMP rifle, but I can't find any CMP stamps. Serial number is in the 7 millions so I believe it was made in the 80's. No box or papers, any idea what it is worth?

Stamped NM on the barrel.
Does it use the same clips, or do they need to be modified?
Thanks,
DW

Your Garand is from SA Inc's first venture into making new Garands.
Some say those with the 7,00x,xxx s/n were made in the late 70's, others in the mid 80's.
They were supposedly assembled using new or exc condition GI parts,(both foreign and domestic) Fajen stocks, and investment cast recievers.
There were a lot of QC issues with the cast recievers.
The NM marked barrels, if medium or heavy contour, are said to be Douglas.
They are not legal for JCG matches and dont stack up to NM rifles built by the real Springfield Armory in the 50'/60's in build quality.
No idea as to current value.
E.T.A.: The cast reciever will be a big detractor in value, also I'm not aware of the CMP ever selling repro Garands.

Last edited:
IIRC the SPRINGFIELD Armory Inc Garand used a cast receiver as opposed to the U.S Garand using a forged receiver. I don't think can use the price they are getting for a U.S. Garands.

Take an inventory of parts. Looks a like a nice set of ww2 lock bar rear sights. Might be worth an offer. 1k is steep if it’s a cast receiver, but it might have some good parts in it.

Does it use the same clips, or do they need to be modified?
Thanks,
DW
The 308 uses the same 8 round clip. There should be a spacer block installed in the clip well (for lack of the correct term) to keep you from using 30-06.

That's not a CMP rifle. CMP only sells rifles with USGI receivers, and production of those stopped in the 1950s. You have a cast receiver from Springfield Armory Inc. in Illinois.

Real USGI receivers M1 rifles in 308 are $1000ish from the CMP. Cast receiver will be worth less.

My local CMP match director will not allow Garands with cast receivers on the firing line in a match. He's concerned about the metallurgy of the receiver giving out. I think they must of had one give out on the line at some point.

Reactions: cattleman99
Springfield Armory Inc (aka SAI) made those M1s I think in the late 1990s or early 2000s, they are all in the 7 million serial range.
So it's not as collectible as a USGI M1, but I think they should be a great shooters. One note, 308W is not allowed in a the traditional "JCG as issued" M1 Garand matches, as that is limited to 30-06. However, for someone who just wants a nice service-type range gun, a 308W M1 is a good choice.

BTW, for the past 48 years, SAI has made about half a million M1A rifles (civilian version of the M14) and they all have cast receivers. My oldest one was made in 1976. I doubt CMP would turn someone away with an SAI M1 rifle, all they check for is safe trigger pull of at least 4.5 lbs, nothing else.
(If a range officer told me I couldn't shoot any of my SAI M1As at a given range due to having a cast receiver, I would file a formal complaint with the range owner...and not so politely point out they are likely more safe than a WWII era M1 Garand receiver that could have metal fatigue at the heel...).

Last edited:
BTW, for the past 48 years, SAI has made about half a million M1A rifles (civilian version of the M14) and they all have cast receivers. My oldest one was made in 1976. I doubt CMP would turn someone away with an SAI M1 rifle, all they check for is safe trigger pull of at least 4.5 lbs, nothing else.
(If a range officer told me I couldn't shoot any of my SAI M1As at a given range due to having a case receiver, I would file a formal complaint with the range owner...and politely point out they are likely more safe than a WWII era M1 Garand receiver that could have metal fatigue at the heel...).

Yes, I am aware of the cast M1a Receivers. He also doesn't allow older 1903 rifles either. I had a Garand on a cast Federal Ordnance receiver, ended up selling it and getting an HRA instead so I could shoot the matches. Throat and Muzzle Erosion numbers were much better with the HRA rifle anyway, so probably good that I switched rifles.

Apparently there were some 308 Garands in military service as i just sold a friend one. I dont remember the receiver manufacture but the barrel was Springfield armory not arsonel . It was stamped 7.62MM. THE gentelman i purchased it from years ago said he won it in a military match. I only shot it once as it was unfired when i got it. The barrel and receiver were defiantly military. Sorry i dont still have the rifle for pictures

Apparently there were some 308 Garands in military service as i just sold a friend one. I dont remember the receiver manufacture but the barrel was Springfield armory not arsonel . It was stamped 7.62MM. THE gentelman i purchased it from years ago said he won it in a military match. I only shot it once as it was unfired when i got it. The barrel and receiver were defiantly military. Sorry i dont still have the rifle for pictures
Sounds like you may have had a U.S.N
Mk ll Mod l Garand SECNAV trophy rifle.
A rare bird.

True, the Navy had some 308 Garands later on.

Italy also had some 308 Garands. I happen to own one built on a Breda receiver.

All the services had 7.62 Garands at some point. CMP frequently auctions off Air Force match rifles.
The Navy had PLENTY of 7.62 Garands back in the day. I have a Mk2 Mod1 Grade B SECNAV Trophy rifle (SA# 820416) in my safe right now. I match conditioned it with the then-rifle match armorer the late Dobber Burdette, on the Navy van at the 91 Interservice Rifle Matches at Quantico, VA.

Get a hold of Jim Adell if you think you have one. He can look up the serial number and verify.

Mine:
20170131_204303_zps3uk3oz9j.jpg

20170131_204356_zpslkgmdjgw.jpg

Last edited:
All the services had 7.62 Garands at some point. CMP frequently auctions off Air Force match rifles.
The Navy had PLENTY of 7.62 Garands back in the day. I have a Mk2 Mod1 Grade B SECNAV Trophy rifle (SA# 820416) in my safe right now. I match conditioned it with the then-rifle match armorer the late Dobber Burdette, on the Navy van at the 91 Interservice Rifle Matches at Quantico, VA.

Get a hold of Jim Adell if you think you have one. He can look up the serial number and verify.

Mine:
View attachment 7816800
View attachment 7816802
Thanks for the info. I would do that if i still owned the rifle. The barrel markings look just like the ones on the rifle i had as best as i can remember.