• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Springfield M1A Socom 16 or Barrett REC7(6.8 SPC)

Jcas2012

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 28, 2011
Florida
Just would like all your opinions on which one of these rifles you would choose and why. Here are a few things to consider. I currently have a M4 Carbine but would like something with some more knock down power. I have always wanted a M1A and the Socom 16 looks like a blast but I recently stumbled upon the REC7 and think it looks like an awesome weapon from everything I have read. M1A is a few hundred cheaper but I have the funds at the moment for either (gotta love tax returns). Thanks for all your help guys.

Re: Springfield M1A Socom 16 or Barrett REC7(6.8 SPC)

Can't comment on the REC7, but I love my Socom. 7.62 NATO is easier to come by and a bigger cartridge. However if you ever intend on changing muzzle devices, the scout is a better option with the 18.5" barrel.

The M14 platform is proven, rugged and reliable.

Agree with DB, the Scout is a better gun. Shoot an M1 and see if you really like it. I wasn't impressed with the fit and finish, balance or the relative difficulty to modify my Socom compared to an AR.

My bro and I have 6.8's, mine a Wilson Combat, his an LWRC. Lightweight, balanced and more accurate than the Socom. Easy as hell to change stock, grips, etc. Ammo shoots well out of a short barrel but harder to find in a store. Just go online and order from SSA or Wilson Combat.

An AR-10 such as those by LaRue or GAP would be excellent choices for a rifle that shoots "with some more knock down power" as well.

If it was me it would definitely be the M1A. From what Ive heard about Barrett, theyre not the best choice but I have never shot one so I dont know. The M1A`s are bad@ss, I shot a national match and I will be getting one when the funds are right. An AR in .308 would not be a bad choice at all though, and from what I hear the AR`s are kicking the Garand and M1A`s butts in competition.

SOCOM
IMG_5274.jpg

I can't really comment on the REC7 but for me, when in doubt go with the M14 platform. Additionally, you mentioned "knock down power"....7.62x51 is the answer--it always is! Of my rifles, the M1A is still my favorite--even as old and archaic my buddies say it is!
grin.gif

Don't mistake the Socom, I got sub moa accuracy. Only using a 1-4 vortex scope. There are some little things you can do to improve accuracy too. A cylinder shim set helps.

It's the most reliable rifle I've used, and the Springfield warranty is awesome.

If you plan to hunt---here are a couple threads about a guy working through this decision as well...

First thoughts

The latest

If you are thinking about shooting 'long range' the .308 outclasses the 6.8 in terms of ballistics beyond 400-500yds and produces significantly more energy at all ranges.

The 6.8 costs a little less for match, defensive, and hunting ammo; however, cheap (surplus, steel case, etc) ammo is readily available for the .308 and not the 6.8.

I have a 6.8 and have a GAP-10 on order. The 6.8 is my hunting rig and the GAP will be a dedicated precision rifle.

Lastly, I prefer the AR platform, so I would choose something like the Larue Predator or LMT MWS over the M1 if I were looking for a .308.

BTW: I think you could probably get a better 6.8 upper/rifle for less if you looked around a little. I like Noveske (Rogue Hunter), Daniel Defense, ARP, Bison, Wilson, and Rainier.

Good luck.

That first thread is pretty awesome. I always wanted a M1A so I decided to go with the socom. Thanks for all the input guys, I appreciate it. Can't wait to see what this baby can do!

Do you want an AR. If so REC7, if not SOCOM. I have heard good stuff about both, but I have always wanted the M1A... other things on my list before it though. Go SOCOM man!

I'd go Socom myself. I just shot one two weeks ago. First one in a long time, but the first one I had some match ammo and a little time to play. 100yards it was 1moa using the scope the owner had on it. Not too bad for a rifle pretty much fresh out of the box. Building an M21 I know quite a bit about how to build one up, and this was stock. I was impressed by it actually. With a few mods there isn't a doubt in my mind the little Socom could be quite a performer in it's own right. I'd buy one without hesitation.
To be fair though I've never even seen a Barrett REC7 in person. It might be a pretty nice rifle also. I'm not really sure I'd want the 6.8 caliber though. Just another caliber to buy. I already have 308, I like 308, so based on that alone, the REC7 doesn't get me all tingly inside.