Springfield M1A

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
PX Member
Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    Its been fun watching everyone grasping at straws. This sling is a close clone of the Marine Corps 1907 sling using my Grand Fathers(USMC ret.) recycled frogs, it was strapped up by Les Tam. There are many details that are purposely omitted from a original Marine 1907 sling, just because I didn't want to be accused of faking a original sling.

The leather is very thick and stiff but it is wearing in nicely, no secret sauce used here. And being a much larger person than the last generation was, the main strap is 56in long.
    Thank you for the reply....Great history!

Interesting connection between Les Tam/Ron Brown that makes their products similar.....both are great humans.

Old school USMC 1907 slings used an odd pattern for the strap holes.....did you replicate that? That leather would never be mistaken for "issue". Gunny Turner thinks the origin might have been a saddle maker in Southern CA and a "small" USMC specific order.

Reactions: Phil McGrath

smoothy8500

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Online Training Access
    Oct 10, 2012
    South Orange County, CA
    Interesting connection between Les Tam/Ron Brown that makes their products similar....
    l have been using Ron Brown slings and find them to be superior to Turner’s. The frogs and riveting is identical, but the leather is much better and less prone to stretching out after a few years of matches. The keepers are extra thick and don’t ever wear out.

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    l have been using Ron Brown slings and find them to be superior to Turner’s. The frogs and riveting is identical, but the leather is much better and less prone to stretching out after a few years of matches. The keepers are extra thick and don’t ever wear out.
    The lower ring on a Brown is much beefier than GI/Turner.

Turners are great. Much better than the fleshy issue MRT slings. Turner actually has an NSN and does supply is special rifles.

I agree though Ron Brown is my go to.

I had called Les Tam to order one of his. He was honest about his lead times and recommended Ron Brown.

LT told me RB "apprenticed" under him.

They met in HI became friends and LT advised RB on getting in business.

LT must have talked with me for close to an hour and I ended up buying nothing off him but felt like the best serviced customer.

RB is the same type of guy. When his wife found out I have kids in the process of taking an order she sent them personalized sling leather key chains.

Great people! Feel fortunate to be associated with them even if only as a customer.

Phil McGrath

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Sep 26, 2007
    Thank you for the reply....Great history!

Interesting connection between Les Tam/Ron Brown that makes their products similar.....both are great humans.

Old school USMC 1907 slings used an odd pattern for the strap holes.....did you replicate that? That leather would never be mistaken for "issue". Gunny Turner thinks the origin might have been a saddle maker in Southern CA and a "small" USMC specific order.
    Yes the short side has the odd Marine pattern, however instead of the short strap being stitched I had Les rivet it. The keepers are sown without staples, your correct the leather is as thick as is NRA/CMP legal. I liked your description of the Caterpillar track and its fitting.

I spoke with Richard a few times over the phone, we both had the same opinion that way way back in the stone age the Corps still had Horse/Mule teams and it was easier too repair, restrap, recycle frogs and "D" rings as was needed from leather bridals instead of buying new. Remember this was in the days when the pre-war Marine Corp was still smaller than the NYC Police Dept and they had almost nothing for a budget.

My Grand Father was what many called a old hand he enlisted in 37 after a two year wait, retired in 67. China, So Pacific, China, Okinawa, Korea and while he was Active Duty for VN the powers that be said he had done enough for the Corps your sitting this one out, thus came his retirement. I do have a set of his dog tags and his ser number is a whole whopping 6 digits.

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    Yes the short side has the odd Marine pattern, however instead of the short strap being stitched I had Les rivet it. The keepers are sown without staples, your correct the leather is as thick as is NRA/CMP legal. I liked your description of the Caterpillar track and its fitting.

I spoke with Richard a few times over the phone, we both had the same opinion that way way back in the stone age the Corps still had Horse/Mule teams and it was easier too repair, restrap, recycle frogs and "D" rings as was needed from leather bridals instead of buying new. Remember this was in the days when the pre-war Marine Corp was still smaller than the NYC Police Dept and they had almost nothing for a budget.

My Grand Father was what many called a old hand he enlisted in 37 after a two year wait, retired in 67. China, So Pacific, China, Okinawa, Korea and while he was Active Duty for VN the powers that be said he had done enough for the Corps your sitting this one out, thus came his retirement. I do have a set of his dog tags and his ser number is a whole whopping 6 digits.
    Read some great books this summer regarding that late 30s early 1940 Corps period when the embryo of the 1st and 2nd Marine Divisions were being formed.....giants in their infancy were being lead by Gods.

These books may interest you, perhaps even see Gramps name mentioned.

Old Breed.

hellishot

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Apr 26, 2017
    I had a Crazy Horse M14SE by SEI and it shot 1-1.5 moa groups at 100 yards. My SR25 can get less than 1 moa the same distance.

I love the rifle for nostalgia factor but if I had to be honest the AR/SR platform is so much better by a wide margin.

Reactions: GhostFace

143lrsd

Just glad to be here
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jul 4, 2010
    Lubbock, Texas
    Well, they don’t suck lol
    Been a fan for years, never an issue, owned 4 at one time, have these two left in collection. And legal still in commie NYS, so there is that lol.
    Been looking for a Sage stock for mine but, none to be found. Great looking rifles sir.

Reactions: Scottso

BarkBeetle

Private
    Minuteman
    Jun 7, 2019
    Whitewood, South Dakota
    No they don't suck, on my 3rd barrel, it too shoots very well and I am very well versed in it's operation
    and sight system, got my first M14 in 1968, Win 1137574, when I left Mother Green I just had to have
    a semi auto version, had one ever since, still have good eyes.

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    My yesterday afternoon break from work.....

1603911488478.png