• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Springfield XD sight removal...what a pain

Wintermute

Sergeant
Minuteman
Had to remove a set of stock Springfield XD subcompact sights last night. I had read up in advance and was a bit worried about how hard they may be to remove since other people have had serious difficulties removing them. I froze the slide in dry ice for about an hour and then went to remove them. Those things are really pressed in there from the factory. It took a 3 degree brass drift and quite a few full force blows to the drift with a framing hammer for each sight.

After cerakote I get to figure out how to get them back in. That'll be fun.

--Wintermute

Last edited:
I gave up on doing it myself. I was able to get the front one off but the rear wouldnt budge and after seeing them use an impact hammer on an XD on youtube I just worked around it.

Before you install the new set lightly stone the sights dovetail edges until the just start to go into the dovetail. Then finish pressing in. Should be no problems after that

Yeah, I think from now on I'll be adding $20 to the cost of cerakote on any XD...just eating up the brass drifts alone and having to remachine the existing ones and make new ones will require the additional cost, nevermind having to get dry ice every time I need to remove the sites from them.

--Wintermute

XDs are a bitch, theres just nothing nice to say about removing the sights on them. I have had some kimbers that are a pain also. Before cerakote I will stone the sights and finish fitting them after.

Kc

I hate working on the xd, I watched one guy about destroy a slide trying to get the sights off. I have not attempted once since.

Hmm...thinking about it, I may end up machining a jig that will allow me to use my 6 ton Dake arbor press on them. Thinking something that clamps around the frame and aligns a pressing pin to the sight and can then be put in the arbor press to direct even force from the press directly down onto the dovetail base of the front or rear sight. If 6 tons wouldn't move them out...well, then it's a whole different problem to deal with.

--Wintermute

A couple of years ago I made a jig to hold XD slides that uses a small hydraulic press to remove sights. It works like a champ and is quick and easy to use. IMHO, investing a little time and effort goes a long way making PIA projects a snap. Sorry I cant include a pic because it's at my shop at the moment.

I got the rear off my xdm, the front I had to cut in half to get it out. After market sights are better and easy to fit.

Get the MTM sight remover for the XD and removing sights are a piece of cake! I do it all the time.

Sorry MGW sight tool. Freaking predictive texting...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

You forgot to sacrafice a chicken first....noob...

Yeh those are a pain in the ass, Some guys cut out the sights from the top with a dremel and then break them out with the punch.

PistolGear sight pusher is well worth the cost. Soak the dovetail and sight in a little kroil and clamp in the pusher and they slide right out

Xds are horrible to remove/install sights. I bought a customized sight pusher designed for XD's and still nicked the front sight.

Dry ice constricts the metal making the sights tighter. Cerakote acts as a lube going back in. Never had to fit them to get them back in. I gave up on sight pushers a long time ago. Starrett punches, a good smooth jaw vice and a heavy hammer for momentum. No problems here.