• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

SPRish build

Jeremybj

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2011
Council Bluffs, Iowa
Hey guys,

I am looking at building an SPRish rifle.

I plan on going with an 18" barrel with a mid length gas receiver.

I want to go with a Troy MRF Battlerail on it with a low profile gas block. I want the gas block to be completely concealed by the quad rail.

Would a 12" Battlerail cover the gas block completely or would it be best to go with the 13.8" Battlerail?

Thanks for help.

Re: SPRish build

12" should do, midlength is designed for 9" handgaurds if used with a fixed front sight. So you should be good.

Excellent, can anyone advise rail covers for that rail? I see magpul makes a couple different designs, but there might be other brands out there I'm missing.

the magpul xt rail covers are pretty comfortable. i'd also recommend the knight's rail cover kit.

i'm running a very similar setup on my 18" SPRish gun. i opted for the 13" Troy Extreme over a rifle-length gas system and i love the setup.

good luck.

If you're going with an 18" barrel, perhaps you should consider going with a rifle length gas system. It shoots very smoothly.

This was my last SPRish build. I believe I used a Superior Barrels 18". The tube is a rifle length. You can see that with the rifle length gas and the rifle length tube, you can see the gas block.

DSC_0004.jpg

Below is a similar build with a 16" SS410 barrel with mid length gas. The rifle length tube does cover the gas block.

DSC_0007.jpg

Tony that is a sexy, sexy rifle, hot damn.

How you like your Spike's Tactical? I was honestly looking at one of there Lothar Walther 18" barrels for my SPR setup.....

BaWith that in mind, I am gonna kinda have to keep it to mid length gas system if I go with the ST barrel....

Jeremy, I like the Spike's Tactical parts just fine. Of course, the only thing Spike's Tactical about that rifle is the lower receiver.

There was a time when I was all hot and heavy about ARs. I built a bunch of different rigs and tried all sorts of parts. I've learned a few things. First, the best bang for the buck in a consistently accurate barrel is Bravo Company's SS410 stainless barrels. The second is that Vltor's MUR uppers are a waste of money. They are no better and no worse than most where it counts. The third is that Daniel Defense makes good stuff and their uppers are all I use now.