• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing SPS Hogue stock not so bad anymore!!!

flyboy

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2008
State College, PA
Well I was board Thursday and had some marine tex left over and decided to make the hogue alittle stiffer and add some weight. I bought a piece of 5/8" stainless rood to use in the stock and went at it. I ended up using the foot that was left over to melt the plastic webbing out of the forend of the Hogue (that proves to yeald better results than cutting.) I filled that baby up to the top and let her sit overnight. Now after 5 hours I still wasn't satisfied with the hardness of the marine tex so I went to bed. The next morning i fought and fought with the stock to let the action go. I was getting to the point of thinging that I had bonded it in there for good. Well it finnaly let go and looks great. I've got a few spots that will need a skim coat but not bad for how thick and how much I had to do.

Then came the results. As far as from the grip forward, I'd say its more stiff that any B&C I've held. I made a bigger channel for the bbl to sit in and it take alot of force to move it the 1/8 inch. It also added about 2 pounds to the rifle and it sit alot more stable at the range. I'll get pictures up in a bit.

Just thought this would help some of us on a budget.

This picture show me fitting the stainless rods. Just alittle more work and the fit without at c-clamp
DSCF4367.jpg

and this one is of the job completed, for now.
DSCF4373.jpg

Sorry about the bad pictures.

Re: SPS Hogue stock not so bad anymore!!!

Yup did the same thing to a Hogue I bought off the Hide and fitted to a Shilen barreled 722 in 222 Rem. Got rid of the "foreend floppies and now shoots bug holes (as it did in its old c.1955 15 pound laminated benchrest stock). I used a hardwood dowel as no more weight was needed out front. Wonder why Hogue hasn't figured this out?

I'm going to try that with mine. I cant quite afford the stock and magazine system that I want just yet so anything I can do that can impove it as is until I can save up enough to get it exactly how I want it is great.

Thanks

Carbon arrow shafts work great as well, and don't add much/any weight.

Well just got back from the range today for the first outing with the bedded stock. I'm on meds for being sick so i'm shaky to say the least and still managed three 1/2moa groups (my average was 3/4moa). It is a definite improvement and will more than hold me over untile I can actualy get the stock I would like (aics or manners t4a). If your in the same boat, go for it. it make all the difference in the world. be sure to add as much tape as necessary inorder to acheve a good freefloat, I had probably ten layers of masking tape.

I like your idea! I think I may try something like this with my savage factory stock. I started thinking about using a piece of angle aluminum with the v shape pointing down and covering it up with bedding. I know weight isn't a bad thing but I would like to hunt with my rifle from time to time. That is why I thought about the angle rather then the round stainless. What do you guys think?

I think that would work, but I would put compound under and over the angle aluminum.

For sure! I would bond it to the stock and put bedding over it. I will also attach the front sling studs to the aluminum too.

Flyboy, got a question for you....
When you used the masking tape on the barrel how did you keep the bedding compound from sticking to the tape? and how well did it hold up, i.e. did the tape stay conformed to the barrel? I've got an SPS-T and one of my concerns is that the tape it self will lose form, therefore not creating an even bed in the forend. Thanks

It worked pretty well but you need the good stuff, Not 3M, I use serwin willams paint stores tape, much better stuff. I did see where someone else use something along the lines of a thick wide piece of tape/stuff that If I can remember, thats what I'll use next time but use release agent and you'll be fine. I would use something different on the lug however cus it really wanted to stay in the stock and made taking back apart a PITA.

Flyboy, thanks. I'm planning on buying an HSP PSV002 for my SPS-T but for the practice I wouldn't mind using the Hogue as a guinee pig. worth a shot anyways. Thanks again for the info.

I did a similar thing with my Hogue, but left the webbing intact.Instead I drilled sideways through the web in multiple places and put some small ss screws through the holes such that they were sticking through each side. When I filled the stock with resin, these screws then acted as "anchor points" rather than just relying on a glued bond.

I used a length of flat alloy bar to add stiffness without too much weight and combined with opening the barrel channel a touch wider, theres no chance of the barrel binding even when using a bipod.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete E</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did a similar thing with my Hogue, but left the webbing intact.Instead I drilled sideways through the web in multiple places and put some small ss screws through the holes such that they were sticking through each side. When I filled the stock with resin, these screws then acted as "anchor points" rather than just relying on a glued bond.

I used a length of flat alloy bar to add stiffness without too much weight and combined with opening the barrel channel a touch wider, theres no chance of the barrel binding even when using a bipod. </div></div>

Yeah, there's more that 1 way to skin a cat. I've done it different ways with differnt stocks. So long as there's something stiff to bed in the stock it will come put pretty good.

Thanks for the post FlyBoy, that's exactly what I've been wanting to do with mine, but the carbon arrow shafts I have so that's what I'm gonna try.

Thanks Again for the post.