• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SPS tactical or varmint for AICS 1.5?

generalzip

Old Salt
Minuteman
  • Jun 30, 2010
    Houston, tx
    Hey all! This is my first post. After searching long and hard through the interweb I could not find a discussion about a comparison of these two rifles specifically in regards to their actions and barrels only. Obviously the SPS tactical has the nicer Hogue stock which helps a lot with its accuracy over the Varmint, but I will be replacing the stock anyway, so that's not an issue.

I plan on ordering the AICS 1.5 from Bauer. Reason being, it does not require(from my understanding) any bedding and includes a DBM. I'd love to just buy the B&C A5 and save money but I know its worth the investment now for the AICS knowing I'd bed the stock and get a DBM later which would cost more. I have already purchased a Super Sniper 10X42(hope this doesnt come back to bite me in the ass), EGW 20 moa base, Burris XTR low rings and harris 6-9" swivel.

Sooo, my question is what would be better for me. The 26" Varmint barrel or the 20" tactical. I will be shooting out to 600 yards frequently. This rifle will not be used for hunting so weight and barrel length isn't a huge concern. In fact, I'd prefer a slightly heavier rifle to absorb some of the recoil. Also, the longer barrel would help with the noise and muzzle blast. I've heard rumors that the Varmint barrels are barrels that were not good enough to be 700P's? Is this true? What makes the barrel different from the 700P? Is the SPS tactical's 20" more accurate because it is stiffer?

I am picking up the rifle this weekend so I have a couple days to make up my mind. Thanks in advance, lot of good info and experience here.

Re: SPS tactical or varmint for AICS 1.5?

In reality the rifles will shoot very very similiar. The longer barrel will give you about 100FPS more velocity over the short barrel, but both will reach 1,000 no problem.

I had a 26" 700P and sold it and recently bought the 20" Tactical.

If I had the cash Id get the AICS, SPS Tactical thats threaded for a suppresor from the factory, and a suppresor.

Believe me I'd love to do that too, however cans are nowhere near legal in the shitty state of NJ. Also, I believe that has a low rate twist for heavier subsonic rounds? I'm looking to do long range stuff and still have some energy behind it.

So do you think its worth getting the varmint to get the extra 100 fps, quiet it down, reduce some recoil, and save $100? While $100 is nothing compared to what I will/have spent its nice.

Just depends...In reality the noise wasn't that much different with the 20" barrel and with that heavy AICS the 6oz or whatever difference in barrel weight isn't gonna mean much.

The regular SPS Tact can be had for less than 600 from budsgunshop.com I thought the varmint was about the same.

Rather than go through the hassle of ordering from buds for 587 and the $40 transfer of my local gun shop. I found a place by me that will give me the SPS tactical for $625. The Varmint I believe was around $540, but I'm not sure. I didn't realize the AICS was that heavy. The varmint is a pound heavier if that counts for anything. I'm sure both these rifles with the AICS will outshoot me anyway

I bought a SPS V a couple of years ago. Cabelas had them on sale and I happened to have a coupon also and wound up getting it for $360 OTD. With the crappy factory stock it shot great right out of the box. The only problem it had is that the POI would shift every now and then but would still hold close to 1/2moa.
    Cut the 26" bbl back to 20" and recrowned and installed a Badger Thruster and dropped it in an AICS and it has continued to shoot great. BTW, I chronographed the rifle with it being 26" and 20" and it lost 65-70 fps on average.
    Just saying you could probaly save by getting the varmint over the tactical if you are planning to switch to the AICS anyways.

8.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: generalzip</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Believe me I'd love to do that too, however cans are nowhere near legal in the shitty state of NJ. Also, I believe that has a low rate twist for heavier subsonic rounds? I'm looking to do long range stuff and still have some energy behind it.

So do you think its worth getting the varmint to get the extra 100 fps, quiet it down, reduce some recoil, and save $100? While $100 is nothing compared to what I will/have spent its nice.</div></div>

The rate of twist is faster on the new AAC SPS Tactical that comes from the factory already threaded for a suppressor. It'll work perfectly fine for supersonic and sub sonic ammo. I wish I had of known they were coming out with that a month and a half ago. Thats the one I would suggest buying. Then I'd suggest moving to a Suppressor friendly state.

EDIT: I'm retarded

By the time I move to another state I'd have enough money to buy a threaded Kreiger barrel and do whatever else I wanted with the gun. As of right now I'm fully enjoying what it's like to use my entire paycheck to pay for college =/

Thanks for all your advice guys. If anyone else has any comments please respond and I'll be sure to post pics of the rifle once everything is together. Waiting on a backordered scope....

Nice rifle by the way el gordo

UPDATE: Just bought the AICS 1.5 OD S/A from Bauer. I honestly would have rather been kicked square in the balls then have to see that charge on my card again.

Does anyone else have any light they can shed on the topic of which barrel would be better for out to 600 yard shooting?

Ive got my AICS waiting to drop a 700 AAC-SD into it.

Im getting that as its a 1/10 twist 20" and comes threaded compared to the SPS Tac with 1/12 20" and not threaded.

Trouble is that the importers to the UK havnt started to bring this model in.... yet

Sam

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: generalzip</div><div class="ubbcode-body">UPDATE: Just bought the AICS 1.5 OD S/A from Bauer. I honestly would have rather been kicked square in the balls then have to see that charge on my card again.

Does anyone else have any light they can shed on the topic of which barrel would be better for out to 600 yard shooting? </div></div>

For me, I'll take the hit to my credit card instead of the kick in the balls any day.

Seriously, if you are looking to have it primarily or solely for use out to 600 yards from a static position, I'd go with the longer barrel for the reasons you mentioned, more velocity, and less muzzle flash, blast and recoil, all else equal. An AICS or an A5 type stock is going to add three pounds, give or take, to a standard rifle and is probably going to take it out of the walkabout rifle class. So, go with the longer barrel.

But, it is possible to have two stocks for a rifle, one for static postion shooting and one for walk about. Then a shorter barrel might make sense for the walk about mode.

Of course, having two rifles, one for static position use and one for walk about is an approach.

So I decided to go with the Varmint today. They only had the tactical in stock but the guy said he could have one from the factory within a week so I went with that considering I have no real hurry considering SWFA doesn't know how to keep stock of their inventory. On a side note, the X-Mark Pro trigger felt pretty damn nice for a factory trigger

As for having a rifle for walkaround...this rifle will certainly not be my last. For that type of weapon I'll prolly stick with a long range AR.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I will certainly post pics once I have everything and its all together.

Did you ever get this together? I'm thinking of something similar, but doesn't the varmint have a triangular barrel, or is that just the VTR?

John

The SPS Varmint has a round barrel. The factory $75 rebate on Remington SPS Varmint rifles ended today so at this point price between the SPS V and SPS Tac should be close to the same.

My rule on buying new Remington firearms is to always buy when there is a rebate... which is all the time. The Spring rebate (which just ended) had a nice $75 rebate, but it was only for SPS Varmint rifles. The Fall rebates for Remington (to correspond with big game season) are generally broad rebates that cover alot of rifles, usually $40-50 off SPS/ADL models and $100 off the CDL/Sendero/expensive models. If you want to save $40-50 bucks you might want to wait for the fall.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: generalzip</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have no real hurry considering SWFA doesn't know how to keep stock of their inventory. </div></div>

I ran into this same problem recently

I bought both the SPS Tactical & the SPS Varmint. Sold the Varmint & kept the Tactical 20". Mainly because it's going to be wearing a can in the near future.

Just ordered an AICS 1.5 from EuroOptic.com for it. Can't wait to get it and slap it all together. Please hurry up big brown truck!

I bought two SPS varmints one in 308 and one in 22-250 both with the 26 inch barrels. The 22-250 I kept in the factory stock and is my varmint rig. The 308 I put in an AICS 1.5 and had the muzzle threaded for a combo flash suppressor and suppresor QD and had a KMW bolt knob installed. With bipod, mono-pod, pic rail, rings, scope and biatholon sling it ways 16lbs loaded with a ten round magazine. Accuracy is less then 1 moa and it has a 1 in 12 twist rate. My partner purchased the same weapon and dropped it into a McMillian stock and cut the barrel down to 20 inches and had it threaded also for a combo flash suppressor and suppresor QD and ordered a suppresor for it. I am very happy with the 22-250 also which shoots less then 1 moa also. Cheap stock yes, with upgrades to the rifle it shoots a lot better. I also purchased a Remington 700 MLR in 338 Lapua and dropped it in a 1.5 and I am almost ready to finish the build on it and shoot it. I did not even bother shooting it in the stock that came with it. I sold the stock and bottom metal on Ebay just to get rid of it so I could get the 1.5 chassis. 600 yards is nothing for the 308 with a 168gr HPBT match round. The rebate coupons are very nice, that extra money you save can go towards upgrades.