• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SPS Varmint .204

2brothers641

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 21, 2008
IA, USA
I just got one of these on trade. I need some advice on future upgrades. First off the trigger pull is awfull to say the least. Can you get the x mark to perform or should it just be replaced? Next is the stock. What is a good up grade with full length aluminum bedding that wont break the bank? This is my first remmy and i am acually impressed already. Even with the stock and trigger i can still shoot moa. Just want to shoot better. Thanks

Re: SPS Varmint .204

Your SPS Varmint will probably shoot better with a better stock and trigger/trigger job. The X-Mark trigger can be adjusted if you don't have the funds for a new trigger at the moment, but it will not be as repeatable as a quality aftermarket unit.

Bell and Carlson, H-S Precision come to mind when it comes to cheaper but decent aftermarket stocks. I've used both and both were decent, although they didn't fit me perfectly. I'm a McMillan fan now, but may put an AICS or Manners on my next rifle. Some have had luck with Choate stocks, but I'm not a fan.

Thanks for the replies. I think i will probably just have to replace the trigger all together. The pull weight is at least 6 pounds. Have you guys had experience with the choate tactical stock. I hear its pretty good. There really isn't that much of a price diff in the hs,bc,or choate. I just think a bedded stock would help on the accuacy also.

Choate is better than a factory SPS-V stock, I'll say that much. Personally, if you want an aluminum chassis stock I'd go with a used H-S Precision here off of the 'Hide. Quality wise they seem to be put together than the rest (minus the chassis off of the AICS). The Bell & Carlson A2 style that I had fit my shooting hand better, but was lacking in overall quality compared to (naturally) higher-priced stocks.

You can take down the factory X-Mark Pro trigger pretty light. That's what I did to mine for the time being. Other than I'm not a fan of the way the trigger shoe fits my finger though I'm pretty satisfied with it. It is not a Jewell, but it's better than most factory jobs.

Don't waste money on a new trigger. Just take an allen wrench and adjust the one you have now. I'm sure the directions are here on the internet somewhere, if you lost what came with the gun. Mine is down to 3lbs and feels fine.

After turning the weight screw counter clockwise to your desired weight, do you need to reseal the threads somehow?

Would be a good idea, unless you like the thought of having the screw back out. I've had it happen to me even after applying nail polish, but blue Loctite works wonders.

Well i just completed the adjustment. Moved safety back and forth, worked the bolt, and banged on ground numerous times and everything seemed to work great. When you guys turned the weight screw, how many turns did you go? It seemed like pull reduced so far and then the extra turns made no difference. I probably have about one thread exposed now. What do you have?

Anybody? The one thread that was eposed is outside the trigger assemble if that makes sense.