• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Spuhr mount - is it worth the investment?

Sendit6.5

Private
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2009
Sabinal, TX
www.brushyhill.com
I'm trying to decide on a mounting system for a new scope I have on order. Normally I just use a good set of quality (NF, TPS, etc) rings but I have one of my NF scopes in a LaRue one piece LT-104 mount. I'm considering trying a SPUHR mount but I'm just not sure about dropping $410 on a scope mount. I've read about them and I know lots of people love them but I'm wondering whether it's the right mount for me. So, I thought I'd throw it out to the brain trust to see what feedback y'all could give me.

The rifle is a custom 6.5cm that's a hunting rifle first but my way of getting into some competitive LR shooting. It's a Deviant action with a 22" Bartlein 3B barrel and a McM carbon fiber stock. My eye has been towards (but not focused on) weight reduction (for the hunting aspect) and the bare rifle weighs around 8lbs currently. I'm putting a Leupold VX6 HD 4-24x52mm w/ illuminated TMOA reticle on it for now. Eventually I may put a Vortex AMG or Kahles scope on it but I get a better industry discount from Leupold and the VX6 HD is lighter and better suited for for the hunting I do.

I like the idea of the one-piece mount because I could remove the scope and move it to another rifle, or simply to put it in a smaller soft case. I've had great success with my LaRue mount returning to zero after removing it from rifles, both on gas guns and the Tikka CTR .260 it lives on now. The Spuhr looks like it'd be as good and probably better. I guess one of my questions is, will it be twice as good for twice the price? What is the weight like? Since my rifle is pretty light as is, I'm thinking I can spare some weight for a 1-piece mount, if I decide to go that route. I'd kind of like to know what they weigh, though. I couldn't find a weight.

Would you invest in the Spuhr or is it really overkill for a hunting or competition rifle? If you WOULD go with the Spuhr mount, why? What are the aspects that most influenced your investment?

How do you determine the right height for a Spuhr mount? I live in BFE and will have to order one, if I want one. Would I be better off calling Mile High and asking them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They look cool. Anyone who says this isn't part of it is lying. I like how easy it is to level my scope during install, and the flat topped rings make it very easy to see everything on my turret.

Other than that, the benefit of a one-piece mount is keeping flex in the base from affecting the scope. I do not know how much of an issue base flex or spec intolerance is on custom actions. I would assume my TL3 base sits more stress-free than my Seekins did on my factory 700.

This could all be crap, I don't know. I talked with the guys at mile high a couple weeks ago when I bought my first Spuhr and what I mentioned above it what was told to me. It makes sense. Whether or not it's "better" than individual rings may be specific to the types of shooting one does.

Knowing it's a highly regarded mount, I needed a 20moa base, and looks are what made the decision for me

I have a Spuhr mount on my favorite 6.5 gun. It is keeping a Bushnell HDMR from falling to the ground. Not sure I would use the terms light and Spuhr in the same sentence. There is a whole bunch of metal in the thing, granted, it is light metal but metal never the less. It is very, very rigid though and my scope has never moved nor has zero changed. It is attached to a Pierce Action with a 22" Rock Creek bbl and sitting in an AIAX chassis that has an Atlas bipod hung on the front. Total rifle weight is nigh on 13 lbs, not counting the mag and ammo. I don't do any running and gunning, needless to say. I would not like to tramp around in the woods lugging the thing either.
I'm thinking about another Spuhr mount and a different scope for my Gretan rifle and should the funds become available, Spuhr would be my first choice.
I had another Spuhr on my LWRC REPR but sold the gun, with the scope and mount to pick up the Gretan. It has a Surgeon action and an unknown bbl in 6.5x47. It currently is wearing a Swarovski ZX5 and I'm not happy with it.

Thanks guys. Looks like it's a great mount but more than I "need." I'll prolly end up with one, one of these days, but I've got other things I could spend the $$ on. Appreciate all the input!

Ive had four different Spuhr ISMS mounts, and they have never ever failed. They are super quality bits of kit with a high degree of modularity, which is a major selling point for them. They are not heavy, most are around 8-9oz plus what every you decide on bolting on to them. http://spuhrwebshop.com/en/isms/sp/
However, I have also had Vortex precision matched rings and Nightforce steel and ultralight rings, which all do their job just fine, but you have to get extra bits and pieces for them to make them modular or get a bolt on libel if you find that sort of thing necessary.

Easy to level, the base has a large bite on the pic rail, six screws per cap distributing the torque over a lager area of the scope body, ability to add accessories to the mount like red dots or laser range finder. They're pretty awesome if you don't care to spend the money.

MPA has a nice scope mount that's half the price but also none of the features other than it being a one piece mount.

I generally like them, but there's plenty of nice unitized scope mounts. If you need the ability to mount stuff to the optic/mount/etc then Spuhr is one of few choices; I don't need that ability so I won't be getting one for my next scope. At $300, worth considering, at $410-450 I'm turned off to them.

Yes but also check out ERA Tac mounts sold by EuroOptic.

We extensively use Spuhr mounts on our company weapons at Ase Utra.

I also personally use a Spuhr mount on my main IPSC competition rifle

Spuhr%20mounts.jpg

Spuhr%20mounts_.jpg

I now have 2 Spuhr ISMS mounts, both on bolt rifles. The other unitized mounts I have are (2) Geissele, which are on my RPR and GAP10, and a NF on my AR10. If properly installed and torqued, all high quality rings and mounts have been proven on the range and battlefield. The Spuhr, due to its robust construction is certainly a confidence builder. Having confidence in your equipment allows you to focus on your skills instead of passing on shooter-induced inaccuracies to the gear. What is that confidence level worth to you?

I have used them in the past and loved them. Had one on my 35mm Vortex for years. Sold scope and got a 34mm optic but went with a less pricey option in the MPA 1-pc mount. They can be had for ~$200 and I love it. Rock solid rail clamping feature is very cool. It uses 2-screws vs the 4 that Spuhr does to clamp the rail, and 4 screws per ring vs the 6 per on Spuhr. I kept stripping the torx screws on my Spuhr for some reason, but haven't had that issue with the MPA hardware.
Both are great mounts. But for myself, I like the MPA and can't see what another $200 gets me. YMMV. Good luck in your decision!

Have the 4601 on 338LM and is rock solid. Main reason I bought it was to add 20 MOA of additional elevation for a total of 40. On a lighter recoiling rifle any of the other good quality rings will work just fine.

I kept stripping the torx screws on my Spuhr for some reason, but haven't had that issue with the MPA hardware.

I had this issue too. They are Grade 10.9 metric bolts per my recollection, about the strongest you could get...I think it's the angle of the rings with a slightly imprecise hand. Though, I did have minor issues with slipping on the four rail screws as well. Not like I use shitty tools either.

I can say that "worth it" is such a relative term. I have learned in this realm that what may be totally "worth it" to one person is outrageous and unthinkable to another. I have more money in one rifle than several of my first vehicles cost. That said, as a LEO, and a full time instructor, as well as a 3 gun competitor, my guns get used hard. For ME, they are worth it. Sphur rings are on my A.I., and a Sphur mount is on my GAP-10.

They are fantastic products. They are over built, rigid as I-Beams, and they flat hold on. They are expensive, but compared to $3-4K rifles, and $3k scopes, they don't seem too bad in the big picture. Are they worth it?? Only you can say. For me they absolutely are.

If if you want a strong mount that won't slip, tilt, cant, and can take a few bumps and bangs, the Sphur mounts are unbeatable.

since i first tried one i have been switching my other mounts when possible. not sure if they are worth the extra dollars (if the budget is tight) , but they are a buy once cry once item.
excellent repeat ability when removing the scope from rifle.
ive switched my hunting rifles that i travel with to spuhrs because they get knocked around so much and not had a hint of scope twist.
and one of my favorite items is the bubble level, one less piece of crap hanging off my rifle that can get caught or knocked out of whack.
as for the attachment points, you may never use them but a few years ago i wanted to mount a go pro for a elk hunt. no need for another piece or crap stuck on my rifle to get loose, i just ordered the additional mount screwed it on and i was good to go.

If your requirements can only be met by the Spuhr then go for it.

At the moment, however, I haven't needed to spend the money on one. I wound up with ARC M10 rings on my AIAT and a NF Unimount on my T3 CTR since they met my requirements and were substantially cheaper.

Did I want the Spuhr....sure. I just couldn't justify the cost when I got both the rings and the Unimount for the price of a single Spuhr and they do everything I need them to.

I'm also torn between the Spuhr and ARC M10 rings. The cost really isn't much of an issue I'm just wondering if it's justified.

Edit: Screw it, I'll get a Spuhr if only for that leveling feature.

Last edited:
It's a common issue since the parallax and windage are both below the bottom of the turret I believe. That is the limitation of that type of leveling system.

I suppose I'll be going with ARC M10 rings again then. The leveling system is what pushed me over the edge. If I can't use it, I can't justify the expense.

I suppose I'll be going with ARC M10 rings again then. The leveling system is what pushed me over the edge. If I can't use it, I can't justify the expense.

RRS has the leveling system and their interpretation will let you use the leveling key across the entire portion of the erector housing, avoiding the knobs.

i had ARC M10 rings, level your scope, torque it down 55in/tq. Done in 5 mins. the easiest and the fastest scope mounting i ever done.

Another ARC M10 fan DONT LIKE STRIPPING A 400 dollar mount screws it will make you sick .

I have had several spuhr mounts new and second hand and have never had any stripped screws. I have only had one set of seekins rings that ever cross threaded on me and that was my fault. I think most issues with stripped or cross threaded screws are operator error not being sure threads take or over torque.

I am a huge fan of Sphur. and one peice mounts in general for exactly what you stated ease of moving optic.

Thanks a lot for all the input fellas! You've convinced me that I need to try a Spuhr mount - just not right now. I'm working on getting a Swarovski ATX spotter right now and I can put $200 towards that by going with the ARC M10s! I wasn't even familiar with the M10 rings - I've been stuck on NF rings for a long time. I'm looking forward to trying them and saving some money.

I would really like to go with a unimount for the ease of swapping the scope but it's not worth the extra $200 right now; and the mild recoil of a Creedmoor doesn't require overly beefy rings. So, I think those M10s will be perfect.

Thanks again, y'all!

Another ARC M10 fan DONT LIKE STRIPPING A 400 dollar mount screws it will make you sick .

Well just use the right bit.

Ive had 5-6 spuhr mounts on different rifles and so far no issues at all(relating to the mount), not a single screw stripped and no scratches on the scopes.

Had one scope slip in the rings on me at a competition but that whas my fault, wrong settings on my torque wrench and no rosine... so would have happened no matter which mount or rings id use. now i check the torque twice everytime i mount a scope..

/Baner

Last edited:
The mount I would use on the kahles is a 4003B, the "B" has a wider space between the rings to clear a larger turret housing for the Nightforce Beast.

I used the 4603B and needed a little more cant and changed it to a 4906B.

If you need a 4003B shoot me a pm.