• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Spuhr mount owners I have a couple of questions for ya...

StretchMaK

Private
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2009
Warren,Ohio
So I picked up a Spuhr 4616 cantilever mount for my SSG 3000 and Steiner 4-16x scope.

I went with the cantilever mount because I am a big guy and it is more comfortable for me when shooting prone to have the scope a little higher on the gun and maybe I will use it on an AR in the future.

My questions are, is the built in level right on your mounts, mine is off quit a bit. And were you able to get your scope level with the wedge thing?

Maybe my Steiner is off a little but the wedge thing just did not work to level the scope. I ended up doing it by eye and a plumb bob out in a tree.

I am happy with the mount and not complaining, just curious what others have found with the mounts.

Last edited:
Be careful with the Steiner. With my 5-25 the leveling wedge was contacting the parallax adjustment. Had to relieve the wedge a tad where it passes the turret.

I have two spuhr cantileve mounts one NF ATACR and other NF 2.5-10x24, both mounted up perfectly with the wedge and confirmed my internal mt level with exterior levels and plumb both perfect as far as I can tell.

Be careful with the Steiner. With my 5-25 the leveling wedge was contacting the parallax adjustment. Had to relieve the wedge a tad where it passes the turret.

I was good on that. It missed by just a hair but missed the parallax knob.

So I picked up a Spuhr 4601 cantilever mount for my SSG 3000 and Steiner 4-16x scope.

I went with the cantilever mount because I am a big guy and it is more comfortable for me when shooting prone to have the scope a little higher on the gun and maybe I will use it on an AR in the future.

My questions are, is the built in level right on your mounts, mine is off quit a bit. And were you able to get your scope level with the wedge thing?

Maybe my Steiner is off a little but the wedge thing just did not work to level the scope. I ended up doing it by eye and a plumb bob out in a tree.

I am happy with the mount and not complaining, just curious what others have found with the mounts.

Yes, built-in level appears to be correct on each of my Spuhr's.
Yes, was able to get scope level on both. Though, it was so quick and easy first time around. Second time when it was not nearly as easy as first go round but both are on correctly, again.

Have S&B's so cannot comment on Steiner.

Contact Spuhr. I emailed them to purchase four additional screws for mounts as I stripped one during first mount on .223. Received reply back within 24 hours and received four screws, at no charge, about five days later.

Great mounts. Would buy another if needed.

My level is on, however I could not use the leveling wedge with my S&B 5-25 as the parallax knob was in the way, though I can't blame Spuhr as the thing is slammed down low with the 1.18" height mount.

Six scopes in Spuhr rings. No problems.

I can't get a scope this straight with a level and a plumb line.

IMG_3411.JPG

I don't know what is up with the level in my mount. Not really a big deal though, it is pretty hard to see anyways. I tried to get a pic with my reference level in the shot but can't get it to come out right.

Here is a pic of the scope in the mount.

11590823.jpg

StretchMak,

Have you tried contacting Spuhr yet? I am curious to hear how situation plays out.

I probably will not call them. Like I said it is not really a big issue to me. I can't really see it being so far under the rear of the scope. I am confident that the scope is level and will test to make sure Saturday morning when I go to sight it in.

I asked about it here because I was curious if others were the same way.

I must say this mount is hard core and built like a tank.

I have a growing collection of Seekonk torque wrenches. I believe I have the 15 in/lb, 20 in/lb, 25 in/lb & 65 in/lb. I need to buy the 50 in/lb for my Spuhr mounts. I also have a Wheeler Engineering FAT Torque wrench.

I have been through this with my Spuhr mount too just like the OP. In fact leveling scopes is the bane of my existence when I set up a new rifle. On my DTA HTI, when I have the rail level (based on several levels placed along the rail), the bubble level on the Spuhr is biases to the left. So, either the Spuhr mount is canted or the rail on the DTA is canted. When I set up this rifle last year, I decided to ignore the Spuhr bubble and put an MPS bubble level on the scope. That might have been unnecessary.

In spite of the articles on long range hunting saying that you have to have the barrel right in line with the rail and whatnot - a requirement that seems almost impossible to comply with with any certainty - I was reassured when reading Bryan Litz's book this month that the MAIN thing is have a level reference, even if it may be a bit off when considering the axis of the bore and the scope mounting rail. And have a scope whose crosshairs are perfectly level or plumb in reference to that level. Forget the bore axis academic crap.

So, I could have ignored the discrepancy between my rail levels and the Spuhr when mounted on the rail, and saved myself the expense, complexity, weight, and bulk (all minor really) of the MSP level. But now that it's set up, I will just leave it as it is, cuz it shoots good.

Bottom line is, what is off, your Spuhr or your rail? And according to Bryan Litz, it don't matter. Just have a level that you know is aligned with your horizontal crosshair and call it a day.