• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spuhr SP-4001 - Discontinued?

TheRealMongo

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 5, 2020
    South Carolina
    So I was looking around online tonight thinking about purchasing another Spuhr SP-4001 scope mount for another rifle build I am getting together and I couldn't find the SP-4001 (34mm - 1.181" height) mount on Spuhr's website, after looking at a few other websites it appears the SP-4001 mount may have been discontinued? I was under the impression that was one of their more popular mounts, has anyone else heard anything about this or if it is in fact discontinued and why?

Just curious. Thanks!

OOS at the moment, but an incredibly popular mount in their product line. I'd be surprised if it were discontinued.

I would agree with you, but none of the "usual" suppliers have them in stock and they are no longer listed on Spuhr's website.

Being replaced by new version

They also nixed my favorite, 4003B, and "replaced it" with the 4002C which has the same aborted rear ring and isn't as long as the 4003B was anyway.

I think we can infer something from this statement, "the new "C" series includes areinforced Side Clamp"-- which was in an email announcement from MHSA back in May. I heard from someone at a match last month that they broke a Spuhr side clamp. I believe them, but I've also been using Spuhr mounts for years and have never had any negative issues.

Yeah, I hoarded some 4003B's

They also nixed my favorite, 4003B, and "replaced it" with the 4002C which has the same aborted rear ring and isn't as long as the 4003B was anyway.

I think we can infer something from this statement, "the new "C" series includes areinforced Side Clamp"-- which was in an email announcement from MHSA back in May. I heard from someone at a match last month that they broke a Spuhr side clamp. I believe them, but I've also been using Spuhr mounts for years and have never had any negative issues.

Good catch man, I think you are spot on. I'm not sure how I feel about it, I wish I had known it was going to happen ahead of time and I would have probably hoarded up some as well.

Thanks for the info.

Good catch.
    Yes, I broke a side clamp. MHS took excellent care of me as far as replacing it on the quick.
    I'm also curious about the modification (shortening) of the rear ring and the ear that now protrudes for accessories off the 45*. Kind of interesting.

1667102858603.png

Reactions: TheRealMongo
    I may be wrong but I thought MHS was the US distributor for products. Everyone else was kind of secondary to them.

Good catch.
    Yes, I broke a side clamp. MHS took excellent care of me as far as replacing it on the quick.
    I'm also curious about the modification (shortening) of the rear ring and the ear that now protrudes for accessories off the 45*. Kind of interesting.

View attachment 7987007
    I think you are correct, MHS is the main distributor in the US and I have had great luck with them as well. I am assuming the change is to allow more space between the front and rear rings and still allow the addition of the 45* red dot on the rear ring by overhanging the width needed towards the shooter.

the new ones look like the model specific to the schmidt and bender ultra short mount. I suspect the design change has something to do with spuhr being purchased by Colt.

I anticipate further changes to the product line up.

Damn just catching up that Spuhr discontinued the the SP-4001 and 4002. The shorter rear with the little dingle hanging off on the 'new' C models are an abortion. The 4001 and 4002 were definitely my default for 34mm but I guess even more reason to move to ARC mounts now. What a stupid decision by Spuhr.

Damn just catching up that Spuhr discontinued the the SP-4001 and 4002. The shorter rear with the little dingle hanging off on the 'new' C models are an abortion. The 4001 and 4002 were definitely my default for 34mm but I guess even more reason to move to ARC mounts now. What a stupid decision by Spuhr.
    You mean Colt 🤣

Reactions: TheOE800
    Agree.

spuhr-sics-01.png

They need to change the chassis promo images to the new and improved C model mounts.

I found this thread after I wondered why my googling could not produce any SP-4002 models for sale for my new AT-X. Story of my life, I wait to get something and it gets discontinued before I get to it.

spuhr-sics-01.png

They need to change the chassis promo images to the new and improved C model mounts.

I found this thread after I wondered why my googling could not produce any SP-4002 models for sale for my new AT-X. Story of my life, I wait to get something and it gets discontinued before I get to it.
    Lol I agree, since they decided to discontinue the regular SP models that everyone loved, they should quit using them and photos of them to promote with.

I just moved over to the ARC mount from a 4001 and it's far and away a better product. Between ARC and Hawkins, there is no reason to spend the money on a Spuhr any more.

I just moved over to the ARC mount from a 4001 and it's far and away a better product. Between ARC and Hawkins, there is no reason to spend the money on a Spuhr any more.
    They are heavier though so only where weight is desired or doesn’t matter. Yes Spuhr are still not light but lighter than ARC’s mount.

I think there are a lot more great mounting options now than there were a few years back, the MPA mount, the new offering from Area 419, the ARC mount to name a few, I am just partial to the SPUHR mounts and the accessories and mounting options they offer. Like my LRA send it level mounted to the side of the mount, the different options for raptor mounts, the 45 degree mount option for a red dot, dope card mount and so on. Some of those other offerings do have some accessory mounts available as well, but not as versatile as the SPHUR to my knowledge.