• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Spuhr VS Aadmount

WRH51

Private
Minuteman
Sep 22, 2009
I have a new heavy barrel AR and I am in for a Bushnell HDMR on the Group buy. Thanks to A10XRifle for putting that together. Here is my question. I want to be able to move the scope between the AR and my bolt gun(s). From what I have read the return to zero is excellent with both the Spuhr and Aadmount. If I use a cantilevered mount, will I be able to set the scope back far enough on the bolt gun (Rem 700) for proper eye relief? If I go with a standard mount, could I set the mount far enough forward on the AR for proper eye relief? The HDMR will be the nicest glass I have had and will be the nicest for some time. I just want to maximize the use of the scope without having to change mounts/rings and waste time and ammo rezeroing. Is this even plausible? Any constructive advise is appreciated.

Re: Spuhr VS Aadmount

Thanks for the interest, but my AR mount would be much too high for a bolt rifle. It's just a poor fit.

For this type of use I usually recommend a riser rail such as Badger's for the AR and a set of low rings on the scope so it's at a better height for both the AR and the bolt rifle.

Unfortunately my 34mm rings aren't available yet, but Spuhr, Seekins and ARC all make very nice ones that would serve you well.

Is it a AR10 or a AR15?

If it is an AR10 you can use a non cantilever mount (there is rarely any reason for using a cantilever on an AR10) and put your remington 700 in a XLR chassis and the height and eyerelief will get good. In such case you can use the same mount and scope on both guns.

On AR15 you will need a cantilever mount, and that will not work on a Rem 700.

BUT I think it is a poor idea.
I think you better decides what gun that should have that scope, mount it there and let it stay there.
Let the other gun stay in the safe until you can afford to get another scope and mount.

I fully agree with Jon, an AR mount is far to high for a normal boltgun, the only real exemption is when using chassis like XLR.

Håkan

Thank you very much for your input and advice. It is an AR-15. I now need to decide if I am moving the HDMR over to the 700 which currently has a Bushnell 4200 sitting on it. Or put the HDMR on the AR which is probably overkill.Anyway, I know what direction I need to go now. Thanks again Spuhr and Aadmount.

Your best bet would be a badger 22 moa riser rail. Then if your bolt gun has a 20 moa rail your zero should be pretty close. I have an extra badger rail that was only used once if your looking for one. Send me a pm.

I just got a Spuhr mount in the mail today, and first impression is very positive with respect to finish quality, packaging and documentation. I'll know more as I mount it on the Pic rail and then mount the S&B scope on to it.

update:
very nicely engineered product. The instructions were included but are a bit sparse. It wasn't clear how to use the 10 degree scope level, but once you stare at the design, it became clear. [[[BTW, Hakan, the thin tip was bent a little bit, not in the degree of freedom in which it counts (angle was still 10 degrees maintained), so I used it just fine]]]

I used 50 in lbs for the four base screws, and 15 in lbs for the rings screws. I did not glue the scope in, so let's see how these prodigious clamps hold against the 338 Lapua Mag recoil. I expect no problem. The built in level perfectly agrees with my externally measured level. I really like the thin-ness of the rings. Yes this thing is obscenely expensive, but the value you get is actually high. If you want the best to accompany your $3K S&B scope, this is probably the right system for mounting.