• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spuhr ???

Rutter

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2018
I have a case that can carry two guns if I take the scope off the second gun and place it somewhere else in the case. So my question is, on a spur 4006 what are the chances of it being true to zero when you take it off and on. I’d like to try this but it’s not worth it if I can’t keep it at zero factor. Anyone tried this if so what was your experience? TIA

I've had plenty of cases where I pulled my scope and chassis off of my PRS rig (cleaning, etc) and when I reassembled everything usng Fix It Stick torque limiters, I was within .1-.2 of my original zero. I can't remember specifically trying it with just the optic, however.

Same here.
Very close to original zero
You should try on your rifle, in case your rail is off etc.

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
itll be within a few clicks either way assuming the rail on your rifle is good. but it likely wont be 100% every time and youll need to rezo/confirm. this is assuming you mean take the whole Spuhr mount with scope still attached off.

if you mean remove scope from rings. then good luck.

I've had plenty of cases where I pulled my scope and chassis off of my PRS rig (cleaning, etc) and when I reassembled everything usng Fix It Stick torque limiters, I was within .1-.2 of my original zero. I can't remember specifically trying it with just the optic, however.

I same experience. I have once tested this on the range and have many times removed the optic during cleaning etc. Could not tell a difference in POI.

I use the QD model and POI remained even I had the screws left very loose for quite long time.
I have tensioned them since. Remember to push the mount forward to the rail slot while installing it to minimize problems.

Bottom line is that I do not even think about POI shift anymore when I remove and install the optics.

itll be within a few clicks either way assuming the rail on your rifle is good. but it likely wont be 100% every time and youll need to rezo/confirm. this is assuming you mean take the whole Spuhr mount with scope still attached off.

if you mean remove scope from rings. then good luck.
I’m thinking of just pulling the spur off since it has the quick attachment to it.

Reactions: b6graham
Thank you guys for the input, that really helps.

Spuhr has always landed within .1 to .2 for me for elevation and wind. Would take you a shot or two to get it back in spec.

Spuhr has always landed within .1 to .2 for me for elevation and wind. Would take you a shot or two to get it back in spec.
You are saying that after first couple shots it settles down on its own?
Sounds quite strange, in my world loose equipment only becomes more lose.

You are saying that after first couple shots it settles down on its own?
Sounds quite strange, in my world loose equipment only becomes more lose.
reattach spuhr. take 1-2 shots. adjust zero. shoot 1-2 shots to confirm. done.

it'll take longer to walk to 100 to put the target out

Reactions: charnicus
Standard mount. I’ve never had the need for QD. 4 screws isn’t much to loosen and retighten to 45 in/lbs in the order of 1,2,3 and 4.
I wanted the possibility to take it off and back in field conditions and fast so I grabbed the QD. It works like charm, might be even more repeatable than 4 screws?

Reactions: Rutter
Regular for me. Dont see the point in QD you have to torque anyways versus just having 4 normal screws

As others have said, the Spuhr mounts are really good in this area.

For the most consistent mounting, Spuhr recommends a light coat of oil on the rail:

I should indeed. I wonder what mr. Spuhr would say about this.

He’s already weighed in on this. The regular mounts are more repeatable.

Also, qd mounts are really only for a couple reasons:

You need to get the optic off fast in case of malfunction

You need to take optic off to pack and travel.

Typically QD mounts are only true QD for one rifle. You need to adjust them for a different picatinny rail as they are all slightly different. It actually becomes much faster to install regular bolt on mounts as you just bolt and go from one rifle to the next.

Generally speaking, unless a real world practical reason exists for a QD Mount, it’s just a gimmick for most shooters.

Just about any quality mount should return to ‘relative zero’ when mounted on a good rail. Spuhr just happens to be the best of the quality mounts.

I’ve had Spuhr, NEAR, MPA, as well as various types of rings all return to or within .1-.2 of zero on my Impacts. I’ve also had all of them experience significant zero shifts on crappy rails (i.e. factory Remington, etc.).

So while you should be able to retain a consistent zero, even with removal of the mounts/optic, in my experience it’s more dependent on the rail/action than the mount itself.

I don;'t know if this helps or not, but I was taught by FLETC to never remove my scope. Basically once it's on we never remove our scopes for anything unless you plan on re-zeroing afterwards.

I don;'t know if this helps or not, but I was taught by FLETC to never remove my scope. Basically once it's on we never remove our scopes for anything unless you plan on re-zeroing afterwards.
Yeah I think true RTZ doesn’t exist.

I think I have to make my own (video recorded) tests to confirm this but surely, not much of play.

Last edited: