• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Squaring out the 408 Chey Tac

nobearsyet

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2011
Plan as it sits right now is to use a Stiller action, Lothar Walther 13 twist (as recommended by the bullet maker)

XLR industries chassis system

http://www.xlrindustries.com/Standard-Series.html

and these bullets as the BC ought to be sufficient for anything I'll use it for, including a trip to Africa to shoot big mean critters
http://www.rmbullets.com/page8.html

Probably use one of the Jewel triggers with the bottom safety, yes I know the Chey Tac is supposedly outdated, no I'm not interested in a different chambering, and no, I really don't have much of a need for this rifle, but I'm building it anyways. What do Y'all think?

Re: Squaring out the 408 Chey Tac

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nobearsyet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yes I know the Chey Tac is supposedly outdated, no I'm not interested in a different chambering, and no, I really don't have much of a need for this rifle, but I'm building it anyways.</div></div>

What's the point of asking then?

Because I want to make sure I build a good one that'll shoot way better than me, I'm a 2 minute shooter most of the time, except from a bench rest and I don't think that'll get shot there much.

I'd ditch that stock. Looks great for bench, prone or position shooting, but it looks snagtastic as hell for hunting with. I'd go for a more traditional stock that doesn't have all the parts that stick out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nobearsyet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yes I know the Chey Tac is supposedly outdated, no I'm not interested in a different chambering, and no, I really don't have much of a need for this rifle, but I'm building it anyways.</div></div>

I'm speechless.

I should have mentioned that I plan on ordering without the buttstock and modifying a PRS to fit to get rid of the assortment of rails on the XLR chassis. Does anyone else make a chassis for the TAC 408

You've got it all figured out it seems....why don't you build it and then tell us.408 for hunting in africa....ain't exactly the best combo ubless you're shooting wildebeast at 1500.

Just sayin'

DUDE quiet frankly you dont have a damn clue at what you think you want.

Yesterday it was pacnor barrel and with baer bottom metal and you were going to use a 350gr bullet at same MV as the 750gr amax in bmg because the 408CT is in the middle ground of 338LM and 50BMG ballistically. But you were also contemplating a 7mm system instead of the 408CT. And your friends you were deployed with from the 37th Special Operations Groups USAF have confirmed kills at 2000m+ with their Barretts.

We GET IT..your building a super cool (in your mind anyways) rifle but dont have a shade of understanding what you want to build other than it gonna be 408CT.

Damn Louis, thanks for getting coffee all over my laptop
wink.gif

First of all what is your budget. A cheytac is going to be very expensive to shoot even with reloading for it. Do you have the range to shoot it? 1500 yrds isn't going to cut it 2000yrds minimun. ask yourself do I really need a .408 or can I can get by with a .338 or 7mm? Really a cheytac is over kill unless you are going to do 2400 yrds+? Get a .338lm for anything less or for 2000 yrds less get a 7WSM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TimResin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First of all what is your budget. A cheytac is going to be very expensive to shoot even with reloading for it. Do you have the range to shoot it? 1500 yrds isn't going to cut it 2000yrds minimun. ask yourself do I really need a .408 or can I can get by with a .338 or 7mm? Really a cheytac is over kill unless you are going to do 2400 yrds+? Get a .338lm for anything less or for 2000 yrds less get a 7WSM.</div></div>

You must have not caught this one lol

Why build one,when you can buy the baddest Semi Auto 408 on the planet now.

2dmbmeg.jpg

Five rounds of 408 goodness will take care of those pesky ground squirrels,or Elephants.

Alright, may need to clear a few things up, the reason for the 408 for Africa has nothing to do with range, it has to do with bore diameter, bullet weight (if nothing else I have a buddy with a lathe that can turn me some brass bullets) with solids and penetration, and the fact I don't want to build a 416 Rigby expressly for the purpose of shooting the big five. The discussion of the 7mm system was unrelated to my rifle, other than someone suggested a 7mm-08, if I wanted a 7mm-08, I'd build one, but you know what, lo and behold, I have a 7mm-08, it's called a 700CDLSF. I discovered Pac-Nor no longer makes 408 barrels, at least I couldn't find them on their website, Lothar Walther does. I didn't know about the XLR chassis system until this morning, I'd rather have a chassis system than Baer bottom metal (nothing against Baer, I hear he does real high quaity work) and a McMillan HTG like I was originally thinking. Don't have any desire for a 408 autoloader, never seen an autoloader as accurate as a turnbolt gun. Now, please either be constructive or find another thread please. i am merely soliciting suggestions, this rifle is not going to be cheap to build, even though I have a buddy that will do the barrel threading and chambering for me (yes, he does guns for a living here locally and graduated Trinidad State's gunsmithing program, he does a lot of the local LE rifles)por gratis, but it still ain't gonna be cheap, and I don't want to misspend what is looking to be a couple thousand dollars.

BTW, plan is 419grn. bullet at about 3000fps or faster if I can push it harder.

Use a Lawton barrel. Those were the barrels the Cheytac rifles were using. Id also use a Lawton action. Id get a Lost river bore for the brass bullets.

I know you dont want to hear this but if I were going to pick any Cheytac line "big bore" cartridge it would be a .338 Snipetac. The 300gr Berger VLD would be very nice with that case.

I'm kind of committed to the Stiller action, but if someone can point me to the Lawton website I'll check into their barrels, the link I have to them doesn't work for some reason

Yeah, I had heard some of the negative stuff about Lawton here and on other forums, nice that I now have a worlking link to Lawton though. Got to drop a line to Jerry Stiller and see if he got my deposoit for my action yet, mailed it out last week but customer service says they never got it yet, bank agrees with them. The lack of customer service was one of the reasons I was leaning towards the Lothar Walther barrel, but I haven't ordered it yet so that is subject to change. Still need to decide on a brake though, thinking the JP howitzer brake.

Lilja lists .408 barrels.
Pac-Nor still lists .408 caliber Link
Shilen lists a 10mm/.400 not sure if that's groove or bore diameter (I'm assuming groove, so they're probably out)
One source says Benchmark makes the M200 barrels (didn't bother to try to confirm) they don't have a website, but you could call/email

Hope that helps.

Don't know why you all are bashing Lawton. I got mine on a group buy, built like I specified in 338 Snipetac.
I managed to break the extractor once and they took care of it <span style="font-style: italic">and</span> sent me a spare. No problems here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hypertex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't know why you all are bashing Lawton. I got mine on a group buy, built like I specified in 338 Snipetac.
I managed to break the extractor once and they took care of it <span style="font-style: italic">and</span> sent me a spare. No problems here.
</div></div>

Care to remind us of that group buy date? I can assure you lots have changed since then.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oodin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One source says Benchmark makes the M200 barrels (didn't bother to try to confirm) they don't have a website, but you could call/email

Hope that helps.</div></div>

Not sure how they could be making the M200 barrels being Cheytac LLC is pretty much gone. They could possibly be making them for Becker but that is just a huge other law suit cluster in the making.

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Later</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure how they could be making the M200 barrels being Cheytac LLC is pretty much gone. They could possibly be making them for Becker but that is just a huge other law suit cluster in the making.</div></div>Well "made" then
laugh.gif
Like I said, I didn't look into it, just saw it mentioned and thought the OP could see if they made .408 barrels.

I'm not bashing, never shot one, I just simply stated what Iread about Lawton's customer service during the after the sale they're customer service sucks donkey balls. Never had a dealing with them, all of my custom bolt guns over the years have been built on Savage, 2 Pre-64 winchesters, REM 700s, a 40x, and a Nesika Bay. Really helps to have an uncle in the gunsmithing business that gets dead during the summer s ohe'd take on friends and family type work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Later</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Care to remind us of that group buy date? I can assure you lots have changed since then.

</div></div>

It was around May 2009

What is the big deal about .408 barrels? Lawsuits? Is a .408 barrel proprietary ? I checked into them some time ago and know of 2 very well respected barrel makers that would make them.

No big deal as far as I can tell, kinda proprietary, at least it was before Chey Tac went under, the 408 bullets I've found have real good ballistic coefficients, like.800+, but there just doesn't seem to be that many places that make them, I've found, Pac Nor, Lawton, Lothar Walther, and was just told Liljia. Anybody else?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nobearsyet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No big deal as far as I can tell, kinda proprietary, at least it was before Chey Tac went under, the 408 bullets I've found have real good ballistic coefficients, like.800+, but there just doesn't seem to be that many places that make them, I've found, Pac Nor, Lawton, Lothar Walther, and was just told Liljia. Anybody else? </div></div>

Lehigh bullets makes 408s.

http://www.lehighbullets.com/proddetail.asp?prod=408-100

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redbastrd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the big deal about .408 barrels? Lawsuits? Is a .408 barrel proprietary ? I checked into them some time ago and know of 2 very well respected barrel makers that would make them. </div></div>

Replied to your PM

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nobearsyet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Plan as it sits right now is to use a Stiller action, Lothar Walther 13 twist (as recommended by the bullet maker)

XLR industries chassis system

http://www.xlrindustries.com/Standard-Series.html

and these bullets as the BC ought to be sufficient for anything I'll use it for, including a trip to Africa to shoot big mean critters
http://www.rmbullets.com/page8.html

Probably use one of the Jewel triggers with the bottom safety, yes I know the Chey Tac is supposedly outdated, no I'm not interested in a different chambering, and no, I really don't have much of a need for this rifle, but I'm building it anyways. What do Y'all think?</div></div>
Well it appears you have outsmarted such idiot as Later and Dogtown... I mean, they only shoot to make a living, and are still LIVING, so why would you take advice from them? my suggestion is to abandon the 408 project and just go with a 20mm as it should fulfill your wishes... the best thing that you can possibly do is to scrap the project and build a 22LR trainer and buy a $500 "Safari" gun, but what do I know, I'm just another troll.....

Not outsmarting anybody, it has been rather well thought through, more research has been done, and Istill think it fits my needs best for the jobs it's going to do in the environments in which it is going ot be required to do them, even though it won't get shot long in africa, 8000ft/lbs of muzzle energy exceeds a 375 H&H. It shoots flatter tha nmy 338 Lapua for when I get to shoot long around here, and it's different.

There are still issues concerning the head spacing on the .408 Cheytac, as I stated in one of my original postings, way back, concerning the .408 and what it took to rectify the problem. Yes, my M-200 is now shooting better than it used to, thanks to the guys at Jamison, but it's still not quite exactly the way that it needs to be. There is still alot of room for improvements and refinements.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nobearsyet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not outsmarting anybody, it has been rather well thought through, more research has been done, and Istill think it fits my needs best for the jobs it's going to do in the environments in which it is going ot be required to do them, even though it won't get shot long in africa, 8000ft/lbs of muzzle energy exceeds a 375 H&H. It shoots flatter tha nmy 338 Lapua for when I get to shoot long around here, and it's different.</div></div>
so what you are saying is; you are (A) too lazy to calculate trajectory and DOPE wind for "long" shots, (B) you need 8000 lbs of muzzle energy to kill an animal because a head/neck/heart shot with your 338LM is too difficult or insuffuficient, (C) you want a big gun to impress your buddies.... maybe I am the only one reading this, but IMHO for real long range weaponry, 375CheyTac would be better. 416 Barrett for muzzle energy...

you missed the part where he is going to use lathe turned solids for hunting.

My cousin and her husband were in their 60's when they went to Africa several times. They hunted pretty much everything that was legal, she weights about 110 lbs and used a 375 H&H to take a several animals including a lion. If a 60+ 110 lb woman and her 1 armed husband only needed a 375 why would anyone want a 408. I'm not joking about he 1 arm either he lost it when he was a kid. They took most of the game with a 3006 if I'm not mistaken.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CrazyDonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you missed the part where he is going to use lathe turned solids for hunting.
</div></div>

Right, I did not include that. Everybody needs $2 high BC lathe turned solids that don't expand for hunting in Africa...

Few things Ive learned on the internet:
Everyone is a professional, everyone has an opinion and thier opinion is right, and most are tough guys.

What I can't figure out is why, if someone hops on a board, and asks a question about something, and someone just can't simply answer his question?
I mean, it's obvisouly OK to ask that person some particulars, to maybe help better answer his question, but why give someone such a hard time?

Hell, the guy may never ever see Africa, but if he wants a .408 Chey Tac, then why can't he? I mean, I see no real reason either why any civilian would need one either, but if the man wants one, and someone is selling one, then let him make the purchase, and if it ends up being "eye candy" then so be it.
If you REALLY think about it, does ANY civilian REALLY need a .338 Lapua? Barret .50? .416? Or any of the cal's in that "field"? No, they don't. If you answer yes, then you are kidding yourself. You can't tell me ANY CIVILIAN NEEDS a .338 Lapua.
What? They are gonna lug it up to the mountains, to go huunting? And kill what with it, that they cant with a .300 Win Mag (or the like)?
Oh, a CIVILIAN NEEDS one for home defense, or to take out the enemy from 1500M, right? PLEASE people.

My point is, NO ONE NEEDS this type of rifle, but people buy them just the same anyways. So, tehman wants a .408 CT, then let him, and if you can't answer his question, I don't see why everyone needs to keep jacking with him.

Im not pointing fingers, naming names, and if you feel the need to flame me, so be it.

Sorry that I don't have anything constructive to add about the .408...

Salright Peepaw, I respect the members of a couple of people on this board, and have discovered some are just assholes. I am in fatc going through with the 408 build, hopefully snail mail gets my check to Stiller soon, it's been a couple weeks and I mailed it from Dallas, WTF? Plan is to build it the way I want it, it's going to Africa just because I don't really want another "one hunt rifle" like I'd have with the 375 H&H. And news flash Y'all, most of the game that gets shot in Africa, gets shot with a solid bullet. As I said, I can't really argue with 8000 ft/lbs of muzzle energy. Do I really need this rifle for anything other than some really far off plinking? No. Will it ever see home defense use? Hell no. Will it ever go hunting other than Africa in July? Probably not unless I strike it rich and get to go shoot a Polar Bear or Yukon Grizzly, they're some tough SOBs. Will it get shot in competition when it comes home? You bet your ass. Will I spend $2 a piece for lathe turned brass bullets? Nope, got my own lathe and know how to use it (I was a machinist for a spell when I got out of the military) and will likely make my own, likewise for having swaging equipment and making up some cheaper "plinking bullets" to practice with. Was the original point of this post to solicit a little bit of help with regards to what works and what doesn't in this particular cartridge/action/stock/barrel/etc. combination and maybe find a few places where I can get stuff that I didn't know about before? Yup. Is all of the "don't build it you don't need it/ Don't build it there's calibers out to shoot extreme ranges with" neccesarry or just a PIMA? No and just a PIMA.

What drew me to this thread to begin with, was, 1)saw title "Chey Tac", and Ive always liked the info I NORMALLY gather on the "big cal" stuff threads. Hell, until I joined teh hide about a year ago, I had never even HEARD of a Chey Tac, LOL!!! and 2)Because of my interest in the Chey Tac (and Barrets, and TRG's, and Blaser Tacticalss, etc..) was hoping to see some "gun porn".
Could I ever have the type of $$$ to build anyone of those? Nah, probaly not. Unless I sold off my "smaller" rifle's, or stopped racing cars and sold all of that.
Does it keep me from WANTING one? Hell no!!! Id' LOVE to own a Chey Tac M200, or Barret M82A1 autoloader, and who knows, maybe one day I will. I mean, sure, I coud buy one now, ahve to sell off some of my guns, just couldnt justify that type of $$$ on something that I personally wouldnt have much use for. But, fuck, would be nice to own one.
What the hell would I do with one? I guess take it down to my local gun range and scare teh shit out of the neighborhood and see how well it will group at 100 yards, LMFAO!!!!

All of that being said, I AM saving teh pennies, and I do plan on hitting Africa in 2012, albeit with a "smaller" CZ 550 chambered in .375H&H.
But yes, hunting in Africa, solids is the norm.