• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Squirrel rifle

My ground squirrel gun is a Tikka T1x in .17hmr with a blurry 3-9x leupold that I bought used for $450. I think I have $4500 into my Vudoo.... The Tikka is perfect out to 150yards and the squirrels don't seem to mind the noise. It's not a great round if you want to harvest any meat, though. I like having an inexpensive rifle for bouncing around in the side x side and leaving in my truck during the season.

I shoot solid copper to protect the birds and predators from lead poisoning.

Reactions: tex68w
If so you can build a range card for each blind. Then no need to range when shots present themselves.

Reactions: Aftermath
I think a few posters lost SA on the fact he wants to shoot them from his deer blind, and remain undetected.

Or did I misinterpret?
No, you didn't misinterpret. It's just the normal thread creep where posters aren't even looking at where the thread started. Pretty common.

Reactions: RTH1800
I don't think that squirrels shot through the brain come back to life. Might be glancing blows? Personally I have not had an issue with head shots. I certainly have with body shots. If anyone needs any Eley SSHP please let me know.
No doubt, shots through the brain put them down.

"Glancing blows" is to be expected with RN ammo. Not always, but the right angle and conditions will allow it. The same phenomenon has been documented with pistol ammo in people.

Possibly so but in the thousands I’ve head shot with RN MATCH AMMO i only recall one or two that did anything but die. Certainly not enough to give it a second thought.
I do seem to get more effective results with the EPS FLAT nosed bullets.

same thoughts as op. have been sitting on this chassis for a while so grabbed a 20" vudoo to give a go. should be a lot of fun.

Attachments

• IMG_8779.jpeg
    IMG_8779.jpeg
    568 KB · Views: 45
FB_IMG_1674008473969.jpg

This rig has killed more shit than the plague....although I can't recommend it due to Ruger's being ridiculously overpriced and inconsistent in performance.

I'd recommend a CZ457 with a custom sporter or light varmint contour barrel in the 20-24 inch length. My rifle shown here is 21" plus can as I recall. It was slightly shortened/recrowned during the threading process. It was stupid quiet initially. Over 14yrs it's started to lead up a bit (can is sealed).

A squirrel gun doesn't need to be a PRS rig to adequately pull off sub 75yd head shots. I'd keep it light and portable.

I bought this little mk II savage just for the very reason stated in the first post shooting squirrels running around my blind . It also works good shooting varmint's around my poultry pens .

IMG_4336.jpeg

Reactions: tex68w and Modoc
I'd go with an Anschutz 1710 or 1712 before ever considering the rimx or voodoo for your intended purpose. Plenty Gucci for you.

Hell, I'd go Winchester 52b sporting but not if you're going to thread it.

Seriously though, if you have the money to spend, the 1710/1712 is excellent
I have a number of fine rifles, but my 52B is a really special rifle. I would second (maybe third by now) the idea. One of the Reproductions would be fine choice, the originals have a better trigger though.

A sweet squirrel gun if there ever was one. The Daystate Revere.
With the older bolt action version, the Daystate Regal PCP air rifle, a friend has been winning half our Silhouette and Field Target matches. It's pretty easy to hit rimfire sized/1/5th scale chickens at 70 yards.
Provides challenge in the wind as well as whisper quiet.
Way better trigger than in most 22 rimfire rifles, that friend runs it 6 oz or so but can be adjusted higher.
Also 1/5 the sight picture upset.
Have fun in your backyard while practicing too.
1704841431702.jpeg

I have a 1827F Anschutz 22rf which would be great for tree squirrels but I've only used it for colony varmints so far because of the heavy FFP scope I have on it.

Not quiet but this HK300 22 mag is the rimfire I like hunting rabbits and tree squirrels with. Vintage 1970 and surprisingly precise for a 22 mag semi auto.
20230426_104525.jpg