• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Re: Squirrels

Generally not worth the effort but they taste alright in a stew. Just be sure to debone as their bones are dense like rabbit. I don't mess with them around where I live as they are infested with fleas and more effort then they are worth in the prep.

i hunt em and love em. i use either a 12g in dense woods, and a 22lr where i can get some distance. once skinned i soak them for 30min or so before cooking them. if you need any recipes let me know and i can hook you up.

i dont do it non stop but its fun when i cant duck, deer, hog, or coyote hunt or when i just need to relax a hike in the woods shooting squirrels is a great stress reliever.

My favorite thing to hunt. 410 is my favorite gun but too expensive. I use a 12ga, turkey choke , #4 shot and aim for the head. You tube how to skin. I like to treat it as a hike and cover as much ground as possible stop for a break at ideal spots.

My wife hates them. I shoot them off the bird feeders with my pellet rifle. I make stew or pot pie out of them and they are great. Tried grilling one didn't turn out so well.

BTW, out your way you have Fox squirrel, which are quite large compared to our regular greys, actually comparable to a small rabbit.

i've been trying to plan a squirrel hunting trip out that way with a few folks over the last few years, but haven't been able to do it.

Jig there is a whole thread on Rimfire Central.com on the subject

I actually started par boiling, browning in a skillet and then baking covered in wing sauce and bbq mix.....Rat wings is GOOOODDD!!!!!!

Dont actually hunt them but they are on the "hit list" at our home. They raise havoc in our yard and with an abundance of hickory trees they're a constant battle. We treat them as vermin and kill them every chance we get. My wife uses a Savage MKII with CB caps and many have fallen to my trusty RWS .177 hammer.

91011sqrl.jpg

Here's a poser.....
IMG_8655.jpg

I stick with my 22lr when hunting them with standard velocity solids. Usually a head shot but if he insist to run I will go for the body and it doesn't tear up much meat. Usually I fry mine they are great table fare!

Here is my last hunt out a few weeks ago. Were planning a trip tomorrow also hoping this front lays.
ResizedImage951357081442819-1.jpg

I absolutely love squirrel hunting. It is a lot of fun and I enjoy just getting out and walking the woods.

Many people prefer .22LR, but my go to is a CZ 452 American in .17HM2. In my opinion, and use, this little devil round was created for small game!

They are quite tasty and easy to prepare if you aren't lazy or completely innept. Youneed to know how to sharpen a PROPER hunting knife. A small thin pocket knife does the trick. Old Timer or Case etc in trapper model, muskrat model etc.

Squirrel stewed with cornmeal dumplings is the piece day resistor of all squack dishes.

To refer to squirrel as anything other than "tree rat" is misleading. As mentioned a very sharp knife is required. Does anyone know of a tanner making gloves out of squirrel?I would think a glove would last forever.:)

I've knocked down around 20 fox squirrel and 30 or so greys this season. My method of choice is to skin and brine whole over night then either freeze or cook in a bunch of different manners...quartered and slow cooked in the crock pot or roasted wrapped in bacon are the most popular around here.

I've never tried it, but alot of older people around here eat, squirrel brains in scrambled eggs. In general I don't eat squirrel.

I would love to try, well let me change that. I've tried, but other than the local park I've never seen a squirrel in the wild when I'm out hunting for them.

I plan to make some squirrel jerky if I ever get any.

They are the enemy! Damn things are eating my house. I am at 107 in my yard, inside the city limits. I have 6 holes eaten in the house. I have killed 5 in the attic. Glue traps, have a heart and RWS work well in the attic. The RWS is absolutely the deal in the yard. Superdome pellets rock. A 22lr is the deal in the woods. They make great targets and great rifle skills. Also a very good way to scout deer either before, during or after the season!

Believe it out not where I live there is a limit of ten a day. They are considered a game animal. Got some in the house last winter and they drove me nuts. This summer I cut all the tree back and away from the house.

My dad started me out on squirrels before hunting anything else. taught me the basics on stalking in open hickory woods. He started me off with a 20 gauge and I eventually graduated to a .22lr. After coyotes I can honestly say squirrel is my second favorite season. Cook them fried like chicken or roasted over an open fire when camping out in the fall.

I love to go squirrel hunting with my buddy, we like to go out before deer season and hunt squirrels and scout out new areas. I use a browning a-bolt and he uses a 410/22 over and under. He usually keeps them all and makes squirrel and squirrel gravy.

Fried squirrel is one of the best meals a man can have. I grew up eating it and still love it to this day.

mmmmm, good<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LakewoodGunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love to go squirrel hunting with my buddy, we like to go out before deer season and hunt squirrels and scout out new areas. I use a browning a-bolt and he uses a 410/22 over and under. He usually keeps them all and makes squirrel and squirrel gravy.</div></div>

amen!<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fried squirrel is one of the best meals a man can have. I grew up eating it and still love it to this day.</div></div>

I lerned to still hunt deer -by hunting squirrel
if your going to fast to see squirrels -
your also going to fast to still hunt deer
fried squirrel is awesome
dont care for stewed
sqirrels are super easy to clean
just make a V 1/2 way down both rear legs from tail
step on tail
pull up on legs
your left with a V shaped section on front
hold head & pull the V
if your careful there is little or no hair left on meat to clean off

my favorite meal is still
fried squirrel
fried apples
green beans
& bisquits

We stay mad at them and hunt them with dogs. We have some pics on our website.

If they are cooked right or put in a gumbo, they are pretty good.

I love to squirrel hunt with a .22 rifle (head shots). Limit here is 10 per day. Quarter squirrel then put in a pot of water and simmer till tender then pan fry. Pretty good!

img00026201011271234.jpg

20130131114719.jpg

20121013151058.jpg

Had some squirrel and hash browns this morning. I am 44 and still love stalking squirrels like I was 10;

erdg81.jpg

About 45 yards Browning A-bolt .22 Leupold VX-ii 2-7 scope.
Told my buddy I was gonna shoot him in the eyeball.

I personally don't think they're any good to eat. squirrel is a one-two punch of bad-tasting tough meat. the way to make it edible is what ppl are saying here ... obliterate the meat by parboiling, and try to cover up the taste however possible. only my opinion of course, and I could certainly eat 'em if I had to.

If someone else is willing to eat 'em, though (and someone usually is), I think that squirrel hunting with a .22 is about the best hunting there is. it can be VERY challenging without dogs, and it'll make you a great shot.

Among chefs...squirrel meat is considered one of the best gourmet delicacies. The majority of the squirrels diet is nuts...which makes them very tasty; indeed.

My best way to cook squirrels...is to quarter them, quick brown fry them --- them throw them in a pressure cooker or crock pot; till fork tender.

I like to field dress/skin my harvest of squirrels...shortly after I bag them. Besides a knife...get a pair of game shear scissors/diagonal pliers, so it'll make it easier to cut off the feet and tail.

Fox squirrels are tougher to kill than grays. If you can afford it...go after the foxes with turkey loads/#6 shot.

With 22's...I like to use subsonic hollow points --- with the gun's report --- spooking the squirrels less.

Watch out for camouflaged hunters...especially in tree stands.