• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SR-25 EM vs mk11 Mod 1

redroan45

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2010
Ashton, Idaho
So I am new here, and I really would like to know the difference between the SR-25 EM and the mk 11 MOD 1. Is the mk11 worth three times the cost of the civilian model? Are the cans interchangeable between the two rifles?

Re: SR-25 EM vs mk11 Mod 1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fill out your profile before you get smoked bud </div></div>

This.

Also, you may try running a search of the forums using the Google Search Engine (found here: SH Google Search Engine ). There are several threads floating around that deal with the SR-25 EM, the Mk11 MOD1 and the M110.

Skinny knows a lot about them as well. As I understand it there is little difference, but the MK 11's have a great deal of acc. with them to offset some of the cost. ie, scopes, mounts and parts kits, cleaning acc etc. I think they also have stainless barrels. I am no expert. My EM also appears to have a stainless barrel, but I could be wrong as it is coated. It is supposed to be one of the differences. All this adds to the price.

LMT gets my vote...Armalight is becoming the Betamax of the 308 stoner rifles
smile.gif
not saying they dont shoot but the standard for mags and 223 parts interchangability is favoring the KAC/DPMS pattern.

Kevin B is the one to chime in on this topic (since he works for KAC)

I agree with the LMT comment. The MWS is an awesome rifle. My father recently purchased one and it is a pleasure to shoot. Very solid and comfortable. I'm looking forward to getting some more trigger time on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GoatHead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just go with Armalite SuperSASS and you will outshoot any KAC product. </div></div>

Interesting comment. Do you have a side by side comparison between the two platforms? Would be great to see target results for each at 600 yards. I am assuming you do own both products to make this claim.

The SR-25 EM Rifle is basically a Mk11 Mod0 with a URX from the Mk11 Mod1/XM-110.
Mk11's go thru the 220 round reliability cycle as well as being shot for accuracy to qualify. The EM Rifle gets 20 rds for reliability testing and 20rds for accuracy.

The suppressors for the Mk11 Mod0 works on the SR-25 EM Rifle.

The Mk11 Mod1's where limited run guns, they used SS barrels we had elected to use, and they where based off extra USMC parts we had for support of their 180 Mk11 Mod1's.
Since the USMC recently adaopted the M110 SASS as their REPR system, we no longer needed the black Mk11 Mod1 parts, and released them for commercial sales.

Now SOCOM, Army, and USMC have the same semi-auto sniper system (SOCOM with the Mk11 Mod2 which is effectively a M110 engraved Mk11 Mod2, and kitted out with the Mk11 Mod0/1 deployment kit instead of the larger Army and USMC deployment kits.

The commercial Mk11 Mod1's and the Government Mk11 Mod2, and M110's uses the same sound suppressors.

The SR-25 EM Carbine is a different kettle of fish.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thmpr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GoatHead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just go with Armalite SuperSASS and you will outshoot any KAC product. </div></div>

Interesting comment. Do you have a side by side comparison between the two platforms? Would be great to see target results for each at 600 yards. I am assuming you do own both products to make this claim. </div></div>

I have both, and I will gladly do another side by side if you are interested, I will tell you this, the Armalite holds it own, I will make a better vid than i have now, planning on 400,600, 800, and 1k with both rifles suppressed. Those of you backing the LMT, they make great products, interested to look into their 308 MWS.

Great..! looking forward to a great video. Very interested in the SASS.

I am very impressed with KAC. I will say this though. I have an AR-10 (Armalite) and it shoots 1/2 moa groups with my handloads. 44gr of R-15 and 168 A-Max's. I am not sure you can do much better than that with a gas gun. I know some folks knock Armalite but I have never had any issues with mine.

I dont have an issue with Armalight so much as I was serious about the betamax remark. The DPMS/KAC pattern rifles use a lot of common AR-15 parts such as lower parts. This is pretty important in regards to keeping spares or just wanting to be able to have more choices.

The choice of the military to select the KAC cemented the magazine pattern and there are sooooo many more options for magazines from the $100.00 KAC to the $20.00 Magpul.

One thing I will point out is that it is pretty easy to get a AR style gun to shoot well, reliability is a different story.
We have 1950's AR10's in our collection at KAC, that are .3 MOA guns, the problem is that they do not have great reliability.

We have been building SR-25 series guns for the Military for 20 years, and we spend a lot in internal R&D on making them better everyday...

Kevin,
Thank you for all the info. I have a couple of questions if you care to answer them.
I have an SR 25 EM and a MK11MOD O. The Mod O has a large "nut" in front of the receiver and the SR has a step down and continuious rail. Are these time of production or model differences? If model differences, why? What are the advantages of each? Which one usually shoots best? The SR seems a bit "tighter" in fit. Thank you for the relpy.
RTH

Kevin I appreciate your response to my question. In my case I am not sure I need to spend the extra money just so I can say I have the same gun the military uses. I am definitely interested in the can as i am deaf in one ear and dont want to lose what I have left.

You mean you will use the can when you take the rifle to Oregon and Idaho to shoot right? In Washington owning a can is fine but it IS NOT leagle to shoot it.

Ya, I am actually an Idaho resident still, I am just in WA going to school, and I plan on leaving as soon as I can!

Parts for the SR-25 EM

Kevin,

Is the field replacement parts kit for the EMC the same as the MK11 Mod1? I'm thinking about purchasing an extra firing pin, gas rings, etc for my SR25EMC.

As far as a brief review: I have 250 rounds through mine and consistently group it in the .6s with 168gr FGMM (as long as I do my part). I have a Larue Short Dot mounted in a Larue SPR mount on the rifle. I'm very interested in Leupold's new 1-8x optic when its finally released.

I also have a LMT 308MWS and have put about the same number of rounds through it as well. I used both rifles intermittently during a carbine class, and had bought both to compare during the class (figuring I'd sell one when I was finished). Both functioned flawlessly. The LMT looks very similar inside and out to the KAC-- minus the barrel and URX. The lowers appear to be almost identical.

The KAC is definitely lighter and feels to my hands better balanced-- it doesn't seem front heavy and is quick to point. The MWS literally felt like a pig after the KAC and recoil is more pronounced. The SR25EMC is not as fast as an M4-- especially on the trigger, but still damn fast. Whatever you did to the recoil/gas system is superb.

It's enough of a weight difference that I'm going to keep the KAC and sell the LMT (or trade it for another KAC when funds permit). The barrel is what makes the MWS feel front heavy. When you remove the MWS barrel the first thing you notice is that the barrel extension is massive. Upper and lower fit on the MWS seems a bit tighter than my EMC.. as the LMT upper and lower don't move-- I mean at all. It's just as accurate as the KAC-- the only downside is that LMT's factory flash hider is almost an afterthought to a otherwise extremely finely machined rifle-- it is much to be desired, and doesn't seem that effective both with recoil and with flash.

For my EMC-- the test target that came with the rifle was right at .9MOA. I like it when the capabilities of my rifle are under-advertised.
smile.gif

On an annoying note, the LMT MWS's barrel is too thick to use my Surefire 762SS adapter-- and the KAC's thread pitch is different. I was hoping to use my very capable can on both rifles. I'm looking into the KAC suppressor this week. With my Surefire can, POI didn't shift more than a .5MOA on an AR10 I own. I'm hoping the KAC can exhibits similar traits.

Anyrate, I know KAC sells field replacement kits for the MK11 but want to make sure these are indeed compatible. Any chance there's a triple tap coming down the pike for the EMC?

Thanks for any info you can provide, great product!

Core

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Zero Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You mean you will use the can when you take the rifle to Oregon and Idaho to shoot right? In Washington owning a can is fine but it IS NOT leagle to shoot it. </div></div>

so wait, what? thats like being able to buy a motorcycle but not being able to ride it. or to pick up a hooker, but not being able to ride her

Yep I agree with everything you said 100% regarding the weight of the MWS. This is why;
DSC00442.jpg

Also found out the hard way that the SF brake didnt attach too, ended up with an FSC30 which works better than ANYTHING I have used previously but IMO it looks like it should be the end of a Ray Gun its too spacy looking for my tastes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Zero Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You mean you will use the can when you take the rifle to Oregon and Idaho to shoot right? In Washington owning a can is fine but it IS NOT leagle to shoot it. </div></div>

so wait, what? thats like being able to buy a motorcycle but not being able to ride it. or to pick up a hooker, but not being able to ride her </div></div>

Yep its a frigging dumb ass law and we are working on changing it...we will see how that goes.

Core,

The Mk11 Field Repair kit works with the SR-25 EMC.

Commercial guns get shot with 168gr Remington Match, so they generally will do much better with good ammo. With our SuperTap brake or the old Battle Rifle Enhanced Compensator you can usually keep up with M4 shooters for speed without sacrificing accuracy on follow up shots.

The M110 Carbine/SR-25 EMC is IMHO the best gun we have ever built. *Note M110 Carbines are currently .gov only order.
I bought a EMC...

For SF, you need to use the 762K can with 762FH - its specifically made for our Battle Rifles / M110Carbine/ EMC. The 762SS has too much overlap on the front end to work on those.

The first few EMC Cans we have done have very little POI shift - #1 was less than .5" @ 100m and # 23 was slightly over .5"
Those are the only two I have shot currently, however I will be looking over 3 or 4 more of them this week.

We have a commercial run of them that just finished, however we had to steal a bunch of them for .gov T&E.