• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SR-25 EMC or POF?

hitman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2004
Tampa, FL
I am considering one of these two rifles. The POF is half of what the KAC is and I have always heard good things about the POF. But, the Knights is looking totally awesome also. I am not a fan of the LWRC, so that is out. Also, out of the Larue and LMT I would rather go with the POF. So, more narrowed down to these two choices. I am really having a hard time bitting off on the price though!

Re: SR-25 EMC or POF?

The price is hard to swallow but you just swallow it once. You could get the POF for less money and it will do you right but you may still want the knights.

If you can't swallow the pill for the knights then the LMT will be closer to what the SR25 EMC is than the POF which is piston operated.

I don't understand why you would say the LMT is out? The LMT offers a "quick change" barrel and the lower receiver is practically the same as a knights EMC lower except one says "LMT" and the other says "Knights Armament".

Another thing you might want to clarify is what you're looking for specifically in this platform. Do you want a gas piston gun or a Direct gas gun? A true monolithic rail or not? Bragging rights or not? Safe queen or shooter?

I am little opposed to the LMT due to the weight. I had an MRP before and I do not really care about the quick change barrel system. It also does not matter what system, ie piston vs gas. I just want the most reliable and accurate rifle. I am eventually planning on getting the new S & B 1-8 scope for whichever I get. I think then it will be a great all around rifle from CQB to 800 yds. That is why I am leaning towards something a bit lighter. The Knights is the lightest and most accurate (from what I have read).

The KAC will be the most expensive. I'm still not convinced their civilian side customer service and support is all that great.

The Larue is very, VERY good. All gunmakers should have that kind of service.

The LMT will be very good and has the greatest accuracy potential due to how the monolithic receiver clamps around the barrel extension with a long and solid lock-up -- very much like a sleeved benchrest bolt action. Karl Lewis is also a manufacturing genius.

The KAC, Larue, and LMT uppers are interchangeable between lowers -- you can have multiple lengths and configurations for different missions/sports.

The POF has extra moving parts (the piston system) and a higher rail-over-bore height.

You will probably be pleased with accuracy out of any of them -- it will really boil down to a dollar and cost/benefit decision.

Don't discount an Armalite AR-10T Carbine with an LMT stock. For cost, accuracy, and portability it's still a good choice.

Does anyone know how much the 16" KAC EMC and the 16" LMT MWS weigh in standard, out of the box configuration? Say, no optic, no ammo?

I've been using an SR-25 at work for the last couple of years, and while it is a great gun it is very heavy,I don't think I would ever buy one. I think I would stick with an Armalite Ar10T and add a rail or even the AR10 A4NM and gun kote the barrel. Noveske is another option too, they make great guns.

Go for the POF. . I shot this group at 550 the other day. The POF's are crazy accurate. My .223POF and .308POF both shoot well under .75" at 100.

5516.jpg

A wee bit over 1lb difference in weight between the LMT and the EMC. Identical lowers. For the 3K Difference in price I can get a gym membership and deal with the extra lb.

HOwever if I had the means to get the KAC I would in a heart beat. I had to decide between the KAC with a super sniper or the LMT with a USO
smile.gif

I like the POF. That is my opinion with using only what I have read on here. I have no personal experience with any of the rifles listed.

One guy at work just got POF 308 with the 14 inch barrel after attending GPS and witnessing one of the instructors their shooting out to 900 yards with his. He is very pleased with it and has sparked a trend, at least five others are talking about getting a POF now. I'm staying committed to my ARmalite build, just a couple more parts and it will be complete, I've been working on it since I picked up the stripped lower right before the election.

I am sure they are all nice. I have and like the KAC. Mine is the EM rifle. I do not see why anyone would want the carbine, as it will be louder and have lower velocity. The 4" will not impare mobility at all imo.
RTH

I played with a 16" POF at Cabelas this weekend, and was impressed with the overall fit and finish. However, it felt heavier than the advertised 8.75lbs and the hand guard would take some getting used to.

I think the LMT is built just as nice and feels about the same weight (maybe slightly heavier) to me. Honestly, the weight difference seemed minuscule to me.

The SR-25 would be nice but I refuse to touch one out fear of what it would do to me, I just can't put down that kind of money on a single firearm.

So in the end of the day I would put my hands on the LMT before ruling it out, but from the choices listed would go POF because I don't see $3K in benefit from the Knights.

By the way Cabela's has some fairly reasonable prices on the POF's they had in stock ($2200-$2400)...

KAC all the way. I just traded mine, and I will miss her. I will get another. I have fondled the LMT and they are very nice. But, I have a LWRC REPR and like the piston on a suppressed 308. I have the 18", and haven't fired on anything but a 200 yard range, I feel that it is fully capable to 800 yards. Just all depends on the coin you have to throw around, and what you plan on doing with it. JPG

If you want to pay an extra $2,000 for KAC name then get one, I think I would save that two grand for the glass.

I've got a light weight match SR25, Armalite sass, and have owned a POF in the 16" version. Buy what you like. I didn't like my POF but only because it felt bulky to me. It was easily the best fit and finish though. They are all very well built rifles.