• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SRP brass

jambau

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2010
PA
When switching to SRP brass from standard should you also move up to a magnum SRP or will a standard still give you reliable ignition

Standard vs magnum is stupid. The cup on a magnum is thicker, to withstand more pressure. Meaning you csn run marginally hotter loads without flattening your primer.

It is also harder to strike with a firing pin. Which can (rarely) bring new problems into the fold.

If you dont need magnum primers, why use them ? Small primers are stronger also. Are you getting hang fires or delay fires ?

I use standard primers with H4350 in SRP brass. Never seen any issues using them in temps from around 25 - 98 degrees F.

Test it with your combination of components then you will know.

If your firing pin bore is sloppy you are likely to get a sticky bolt from the primer flowing between the bore and the firing pin even on rather light loads.

Standard vs magnum is stupid. The cup on a magnum is thicker, to withstand more pressure. Meaning you csn run marginally hotter loads without flattening your primer.

It is also harder to strike with a firing pin. Which can (rarely) bring new problems into the fold.

If you dont need magnum primers, why use them ? Small primers are stronger also. Are you getting hang fires or delay fires ?
My own issue is that I don't want to give up one of my favorite hobbies because I can't get the components to do it. With standard primers being so scarce I'm looking for alternatives.

Reactions: iceng
If you are using ball or spherical type powders definitely use the magnums but even then I have had some hang fires although they are so slight in delay that someone might not even notice if not paying very close attention.
Even with LR primers in larger cases ex. 308 and up some manuals recommend magnum wit the Ball type powders.

I use CCI 400’s in several loads for 6.5 Grendel, .300 BLK, and 6 ARC with spherical ball powders, and have never had an issue with hangfires. I actually get more consistent groups and SD/ES with 400’s compared to 450’s.