• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SRS v AIAW

Watt

Private
Minuteman
Dec 27, 2009
New South Wales, Australia
Hello,
currently tossing up whether to go with an AIAW in .308 or a DTA SRS in the same calibre. Going to spend most of it's time on a range shooting competition (with a bit of long range field work). I've been lurking and read most of the threads in regards to the SRS, but I'm hoping that there is someone who has used both and can give me an indication which one they found the most accurate. The Minister of War and Finance (aka SWMBO), will only let me drop big cash once, so I need to get it right. Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated...

Thanks in advance

Bill

Re: SRS v AIAW

The srs is awesome, but the AI is godly. Whats better? awesome or godly?
-Felipe

Also consider the cost of magazines, and how fast you can cycle the bolt. To my mind the DTA really has a place in .338 but I wonder about it in .308.

Warning- I am going to spew some advice that is not entirely rooted in first hand knowledge. I have a SRS- it seems great to me, but I bought it for the ability to switch calibers easily. It is more accurate than I. Were I going to buy a 308 though, I think that I would have one built. It seems that the consensus on the hide is that a good custom gun will out shoot a factory one. You could have LA precision build you one for under $3K, or about 50% of an AI. If you like AI stock, have it built with that.

I have owned several AIAW's as well as a AIAE and now own an DTA SRS in 243 and 6.5 creedmoor and couldn't be more happy with the platform. Yes, the DTA mags are more expensive but the ergonomics and compactness of the DTA are hard to beat. I would go with the DTA and spend the rest of your money on nice glass and ammo. AI's are overrated, overpriced and outdated, all of these issues, except price will be addressed with the new products they are releasing at SHOT this year. AI's are a solid platfort but for the money there are better options out there.

While I believe that Mr Boynton is entitled to his opinion, I can't help but wonder what he has had "several AIAW's as well as an AIAE" if they are "overated, overpriced and outdated". Sorry, but I gotta defend my precious on this one.

As far as reliability and and bomb-proof while still maintaining the smoothest action i've ever handled and excellent accuracy in FACTORY rifle.....there is no one else that can come close to making these statements. I won't even mention the ease of maintenance, barrel changes, and part interchangablitiy...oops just did I guess. Overrated my ass.

As for the price, yes.....it is a tough pill to swallow if you are buying brand new in your exact specs. However that's why there is the AE, which is more than suitable for more than 95% of the non-military users. And it is competative with the custom build market in terms of price and performance......probably more so.

Outdated? In terms of what the military demands.....yes the current model is going certain changes to become more "modular". If one considers an AI outdated, then the 700 is prehistoric. Again for 99% of shooters, the AI is more than what is needed.

That being said, it's no secret why guys have multiple AI's. I am not going to sit here and tell you that they are magical and aren't without their drawbacks. And true, some chaps simply don't like the platform. That's fine. But I don't think that anyone can successfully argue that it isn't a good system. Price and personal preference are another issue

Now, onto the OP's inquiry. As far as accuracy I have no doubt that both rifles can do more than you the shooter are capable of. If you are going to compete with a SRS, you will have to train up on those mag changes and bolt manipulation. Personally, I feel SRS system is a bit pointless if you are not going to utilize the caliber-change option. Likewise, the AIAW is pointless if you don't plan on doing caliber conversions or enough shooting to warrant a barrel change with in-house convenience.

Accuracy is not the issue you should be concerned with. What do you want? What can you afford? And if what you are concerned about is winning competitions, you need a true custom guns to exact specs. If you're just trying to play the x vs y game, you're going to have to throw out another deciding factor other than accuracy, jack.

Bill,

Good luck on getting a DTA here in Australia. I believe that there are some that have been "on the way" for almost 12 months now, but there appears to be an issue with getting all the export papers in order from the US side of the pond.

For local use an AI is a better option for a factory rifle. Whilst they can be hard to find they are definately available. There are a few in use in F class comps around the place.

Aw hell, I didn't realize you were in Australia.

DSR-1 all the way, baby. I know you can get those there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pointblank4445</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While I believe that Mr Boynton is entitled to his opinion, I can't help but wonder what he has had "several AIAW's as well as an AIAE" if they are "overated, overpriced and outdated". Sorry, but I gotta defend my precious on this one.

</div></div>

I owned a few because I am a slow learner
wink.gif
and an impulse buyer

I dont want to bash AI's, I just don't think they are right for me, especially now after I have a DTA. Don't get me wrong I still have a few Badger M2008 rifles and those are about as close as you can get to an AW action except mine are in manners stocks.

Several AW's an AE, a DTA and some Badgers on the side.

Wish I had that kind of cash flow...
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adam boynton</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pointblank4445</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While I believe that Mr Boynton is entitled to his opinion, I can't help but wonder what he has had "several AIAW's as well as an AIAE" if they are "overated, overpriced and outdated". Sorry, but I gotta defend my precious on this one.

</div></div>

wink.gif
and an impulse buyer

I dont want to bash AI's, I just don't think they are right for me, especially now after I have a DTA. Don't get me wrong I still have a few Badger M2008 rifles and those are about as close as you can get to an AW action except mine are in manners stocks. </div></div>

I can respect that. They certainly aren't for everyone.

At a retail of $18499 fir the DSR I'm thinking it's a little out of the price range....

Gotta love being at the end of a long supply chain with a single source. Too many importers in Australia (in any field) either don't carry the full range or add way too much markup. Worse yet many of them have tied the product up with exclusive importer deals

Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pointblank4445</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adam boynton</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pointblank4445</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While I believe that Mr Boynton is entitled to his opinion, I can't help but wonder what he has had "several AIAW's as well as an AIAE" if they are "overated, overpriced and outdated". Sorry, but I gotta defend my precious on this one.

</div></div>

wink.gif
and an impulse buyer

I dont want to bash AI's, I just don't think they are right for me, especially now after I have a DTA. Don't get me wrong I still have a few Badger M2008 rifles and those are about as close as you can get to an AW action except mine are in manners stocks. </div></div>

I can respect that. They certainly aren't for everyone. </div></div>

As a side note, be thankful for Adam's "habits" as there is generally a great deal in the classifieds and he is a top tier guy to do business with.
laugh.gif

I've been considering a DTA SRS as well. I think the best way to justify this rifle is if you are wanting to do multiple caliber changes. I'm thinking about having 3+ barrels for mine and with the cost of extra barrels it's like having 3 rifles for a fraction of the cost. the only thing is you can only shoot one at a time, and the will obviously be a POI change between calibers. If you are just wanting to get a good accurate .308 you may want to consider a high end custom build and spend the cash you will save on glass and ammo. Just my two cents.

Pushing it out a little bit- with shipping I am looking at about $5.5-$6k AUD from England- there is no importer for civilian sales in the Antipodes. Like I said earlier- long supply lines suck. The only place I know of that used to stock them was a gun shop in Western Sydney- but they wanted something in the order of $9k for one. The blokes I shoot with have spent $4-$6k on their rifles- but their rifles are strictly target animals. I want something that I can go knock off the odd pig or goat without having to chase it into thick scrub, but am still able to shoot competitively. So far I think it'll be the AI I pick, but the SRS is very appealing

Bill

Im going to have to defend Adam as well. While he has swapped around a good bit, he has tried them all and offers good hands on user input. Who else can say they have directly compared these side by side.

I also was and still am in this position as well. I currently own an AIAW .308. I considered selling it for the DTA. I am just to scared to try it knowing Ill never get my AW back if I want to go back.

I finally am shooting one hole groups with my GAP Bartlein barrel and have a great load developed.

Its much to risk to change to the DTA, but I cant help to think how bad ass a DTA would be with my Shark suppressor. I would like to own a DTA one day. If i could just try one at the range it might sway me, but no one i know around here has one. If only JRose or Mike would pick one up......

I still say if DTA makes a .22lr conversion for their rifles, It will be a done deal for me.

Ill have it in .22lr, .308 and .300WM
.308 and .22lr is all i shoot right now.

Also: for me the AIAW is about getting that one coveted rifle that I always wanted. I saw the new AW coming out and dont really like the new stock design.

Hey beenjammin there will be two DTA's at the rock this year I am sure you will be able to due a little famfire! I will be useing my DTA in 308 at the Practical Marksman Challenge in Febuary also look me up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tikkat3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bill,

Good luck on getting a DTA here in Australia. I believe that there are some that have been "on the way" for almost 12 months now, but there appears to be an issue with getting all the export papers in order from the US side of the pond.
</div></div>

I can assure you that there is no one in Australia waiting on an SRS from DTA due to paperwork on our side. I have been "talking" with a gentleman from MOA performance about him wanting to import one but he has never made any decisions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Thenarc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Gotta love being at the end of a long supply chain with a single source. Too many importers in Australia (in any field) either don't carry the full range or add way too much markup. Worse yet many of them have tied the product up with exclusive importer deals

Bill </div></div>

FWIW there are no exclusive importers in Australia for the DTA SRS. I will be meeting with MOA Performance and Xtek at SHOT SHOW to discuss either one of those companies "carrying" the SRS.

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Thenarc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At a retail of $18499 fir the DSR I'm thinking it's a little out of the price range....

Bill </div></div>

They have gone up a few K since I paid for mine and I only picked mine up a couple of weeks ago. Shoot the cat get both. I did while I was waiting for the DSR. If the SRS becomes available I will grab one of those as well.

DSR-1 and AI AWM both in 338LM
fqyz4z.jpg

Every one is different but I CANNOT stand cycling the bolt on the DTA! It is way to rearward for my liking and since 99.9999% of bolt rifles have the bolt in the vicinity of the trigger area..I do not care to try and get used to reaching so far back for the bolt. I would STRONGLY recommend playing with one before you drop that kind coin on the DTA, The AI's I have owned are a dream to cyle for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ELLINGTON</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey beenjammin there will be two DTA's at the rock this year I am sure you will be able to due a little famfire! I will be useing my DTA in 308 at the Practical Marksman Challenge in Febuary also look me up. </div></div>

Aww sweet. Please come so I can seeit and compare it to my AIAW. This will be the kicker for me.