• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes SS 5-20x50 HD MIL-QUAD

para1505

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2010
Columbia MO area
Well I need another scope. I have a SS 10x42 HD MIL-QUAD and love it. I am considering putting my SS 10x42 HD on the AR15 that I am getting together. Then Putting a SS 5-20x50 HD on the .308 bolt. I read the review that was done Vortex vs NF vs HDMR vs SS. In his placing he put the SS in last place because of slop and backlash in the terrents. Since they are 1 turn in 10 mils was the reason for them to act this way. I would like to hear from other shooters who are using this scopes to see if they feel the same way about theirs. I am trying to decide to stay with another 10 or move up to the 5-20. Thanks for any feed back you wish to share with me on this matter.

Re: SS 5-20x50 HD MIL-QUAD

John's review of the SS 5-20 I think he was using a very early model. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

My SS 5-20 has very nice turrets that have no "slop" and the marks line up perfectly. I have only had mine about 5 months. The clicks are also pretty audible. The RTZ and tracking are also dead on.

My only complaint with the scope is the mag ring and parallax knob are stiff. SWFA sells a cat tail for the mag ring. For the parallax knob I bough a $5 road bike tire tube from wall mart and cut it into a strip like a rubber band. Then wrap it around the parallax knob. It makes a big difference in the knob stiffness and if you cut it carefully it doesn't look out of place.

para, if you love the 10x then you'll love the 5-20 as well. I've used "the old version" in 3 major matches in the last year and placed very respectfully. The turret issue isn't as bad as some would make it sound and it sounds like that is even worked out.

I still say the 5-20 is the best vale in tactical mil/mil FFP scopes at this time and recommend them without hesitation.

the turrets on my 5-20 are crisp, distinct, audible, and the lines match up

I love mine, nice eyebox and glass as well

Thanks for responding, After what you two (RFutch,jasonk)have wrote I will be going with the 5-20. Now to see if any for less money are selling on the optics for sale.

+ 3 for the comments above. I ordered a total of 4 of the SS 5-20 and cant say one bad thing. Again only real issue that does not bother be one bit is the mag ring and the parallax knob which also is not a big deal for me at all. I got my first pig with my .308 and the SS 5-20 on top
laugh.gif

Aron-

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: para1505</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for responding, After what you two (RFutch,jasonk)have wrote I will be going with the 5-20. Now to see if any for less money are selling on the optics for sale.</div></div>

PM Sent

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RFutch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">John's review of the SS 5-20 I think he was using a very early model. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.</div></div>

Let's try to put this to rest.

There were two distinct but interrelated turret issues that I highlighted with my original SS 5-20.

a). due to 100 marks around the perimeter and 60 splines, depending on where your zero fell, the hash marks may or may not align. SWFA has addressed this and it now works as it should.

b). due to some "slop" in the actual detent for each click (which got worse with use on mine), coupled with the above problem, made it nearly impossible to tell which hash I was on quickly.

I have handled a new production SS 5-20 and while (a) is fixed (b) was better, but they were still not on par with my NXS, Razor or DMR with regard to click quality, detent precision and compared to the HS NXS knobs (10 mil/rev.), ability to quickly and accurately obtain the result I desired. Could I use them? Yes. Did I like them? Better, but not great. I think I gave them an 8/10. These are my opinions. I'm calling no one out or implying anything other than it did not meet my expectations or need and I reported what I observed. Yes, it placed last of four, but last is relative and the four are so close, that the order would be eight different ways if eight guys reviewed them. Remember, at one point I rated it a better buy than the Razor, but the Razor improved in a key area, and my usage of the two scopes also changed from ELR to shooting tactical style steel matches, so my need of what a scope does for me changed. Also keep in mind what Frank said, I rated the DMR better even though it has pop-bottle glass, because it's really inexpensive by comparison and I can use it. If it was the same price as the SS, the order would DEFINITELY be reversed.

The SS 5-20 is a fine scope. But if I bought one today without knowing what I know today, I'd STILL be disappointed. Especially to the tune of $1500 vs. $1000. I simply communicate to others my observations. You guys should know not to take anyone's word as gospel. I try to give as much objective analytical feedback as I can, as I believe its a lot more useful than, "It's a bitchin' scope dude. Totally rocks". If you don't like my input, or it doesn't jive with your observations, simply disregard it.

Obviously many, many people are happy with this scope and I have no issue with that. I have unreasonably high expectations of myself and my equipment. Bushnell and I are still sorting through my issues with their DMR... so SWFA is not alone here and Sam and Scott at Vortex hear from me on a semi-regular basis. The good news is that these guys ARE LISTENING and seem to care what we think. My hope is that this type of feedback winds up with us all having better scopes.

John