• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SS 5-20x50 or NF 5.5-22x50?

kb1

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2004
Colorado
In the market for some new optics that will eventually sit atop a 300 WM. I just off loaded A NF 3.5-15x50 F1 with the MLR reticle because I wasn't happy with the reticle thickness at max power, and I need something with a little more magnification. The reticle just seemed to cover too much of the target when punching paper. Other that, it was an awesome scope, but I just couldn't live with it. Looking at the SS and the NF, is there really $500 more scope when going with the NF 5.5-20x50 with HS/ZS turrets than the SS? I've never looked through a SS HD, but I hear good things about it. As far as the SS, is reticle thickness also an issue at max power being FFP? FFP isn't exactly what I am looking for, but SWFA only offers this scope that way. It also seems like NF's strict MAP policy limits any really good deals, unless I am missing something, and if I could close the gap on price the NF would be a no brainer, to me at least. Any insight would be great. Thanks.

The NF is going to have the same thickness of reticle on max power as the F1, unless you go with a MOA based reticle. The SS's reticle is a bit thinner, but it is really close. The SS is 1/20th of mil where the NF is 1/16th.

I'm not sure either option is what you want for a paper puncher. I've got a SS and I think the reticle is too thick for shooting groups. On the other hand I also have 2 NF target scopes (an 8-32 BR and a 12-42 NXS) with an NP-2DD and I think it's pretty near ideal for paper.

If you don't need a FFP ranging reticle there are other scoped to look at from Sightron, Bushnell, even a Weaver T series for a pure paper puncher if you really don't need tacticool options.

Where in SoCal are you? You are more than welcome to come out to the desert and look through my SS (when I get it back from SWFA) if you'd like.

When you get it back from swfa? If you don't mind me asking, did you have a problem with it? The reason I ask is, I just bought a used one and am wondering if there's any potential problems with the 5-20x50 (other than the illumination issue) that I should be aware of.

The new Bushnell XRS 4.5-30x50 with G2 reticle is a great option. Got one coming for my 7mm RM, great reticle, glass and if you dont like it Bushnell will take it back 100% money back guarantee. You cant hardly beat that!

Ohh and I owned 2 SS 5-20x50 and wasn't really impressed with them, and no longer own them.

When you get it back from swfa? If you don't mind me asking, did you have a problem with it? The reason I ask is, I just bought a used one and am wondering if there's any potential problems with the 5-20x50 (other than the illumination issue) that I should be aware of.

I did have some issues with it. I had something that was causing bubbles on the inside of the ocular lens. It still shot and tracked fine, but it was getting to the point where the bubbles were making their way to the center of the glass.

Mine was the non-illuminated version from the Black Friday deal a couple years ago, so I can't comment on that.

On another note, SWFA is taking really good care of the problem, but the scopes are on backorder. The customer service has been top notch.

To add more confusion, take advantage of the March 10% off sale. The non-illuminated 3-24 prices out under $2K and that FMA-2 is an excellent reticle.

Sully

I was in similar situation with a 5-20 Trijicon Accupoint, the mildot reticle was huge. I bought a used Nightforce NXS 3-15 with the MLR reticle from a Hide member and have found the reticle to be just thin enough for longer distance shots (for my eyes). The SFP MLR reticle is 0.04 mil thick versus the 0.06 mil thickness for the Nightforce FFP MLR2 reticle. It may be worth looking into if you want a Nightforce scope.......the SWFA 5-20 reticle falls in the middle being 0.05 mil thick. If you want a really thin reticle, the Nightforce NP-R1 or NP-R2 MOA based reticles are less than 0.02 mils thick.

I can get over the size of the reticle at higher power settings because I think FFP scopes are fantastic - it's such a simple system to work with.

Love my 5-20 SS HD.

I just picked up a NF 5.5-22 with the NPR1 after looking through many different scopes. The reticle appears to be fine looking out to 1400 yards at power line poles. I could still even clearly see the cables and orange marking posts underneath it. I was impressed to say the least.

In the market for some new optics that will eventually sit atop a 300 WM. I just off loaded A NF 3.5-15x50 F1 with the MLR reticle because I wasn't happy with the reticle thickness at max power, and I need something with a little more magnification. The reticle just seemed to cover too much of the target when punching paper. Other that, it was an awesome scope, but I just couldn't live with it. Looking at the SS and the NF, is there really $500 more scope when going with the NF 5.5-20x50 with HS/ZS turrets than the SS? I've never looked through a SS HD, but I hear good things about it. As far as the SS, is reticle thickness also an issue at max power being FFP? FFP isn't exactly what I am looking for, but SWFA only offers this scope that way. It also seems like NF's strict MAP policy limits any really good deals, unless I am missing something, and if I could close the gap on price the NF would be a no brainer, to me at least. Any insight would be great. Thanks.
You do realize that your reticle is the same size on target no matter what the power(first focal plane) it looks bigger but it covers the same amount of target. I was just laying in my ward trying to peel a crow off a rock at 1260yd with my SWFA on 20x having no problems with reticle thicknes. I think you would be happy with SS or HDMR but you'll have to get used to thje reticle looking smaller or larger. You could go second focal plane but its not near as usefull....