• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes SS 5-50 vs XTR II 4-20

175gr7.62

Private
Minuteman
Aug 25, 2014
Long time lurker here. Been out of the LR game since I got out of the Corps. Took to bowhunting but hooked up with another former hog in the last year or so and he has convinced me to start playing around again. Don't have tons of funds to play with right now but I just picked up a new 110 FCP HS Precision in 300 WM and need to put some glass on so I can make it go bang. I planned on spending $1500 or so on glass. My first thought was to go with a S&B PMII as they were just coming online at the unit level when I got out and was impressed as compared to the old Unertl. Needless to say my desire and wallet don't live on the same floor from what I have found out.

I am a MIL guy (although I suppose I could relearn in MOA) so I want FFP, MIL/MIL, illum, and ~20X on the top end. After my dreams came crashing down on the S&B I had just about decided on the SS 5-20 but ran across the Burris XTR II. I have talked with several guys that don't have anything but good things to say about the SS and the same with the XTR II. I can pick up the XTR for right at $1k or the SS for ~$1500. My question is....

Has anyone used both side by side and have data that would justify the extra coin for the SS? I don't plan on shooting matches. My main plan is shooting hogs way way out there and just getting back into squeezing the trigger.

I do not have the ability to put my hands on anything but a couple NF's around here so I am going to be buying sight unseen. I know some are going to chime in that I should get a used F1 but I have not been impressed with the glass for the money. I supposed I could also look at the Mk4 but I still need convincing I am giving up $500 worth of quality with the Burris.

Thanks in advance fellas..

My only experience with the SS was a fixed 10x. Nice scope.

I'm nothing but impressed with the new XTR II's. I bought a pair of them in 1.5x8 with the Dual Focal Plane, they are pretty damn nice scopes.

Burris has upped their game.

I've shot a couple XTR2s. They are GREAT scopes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

You wouldn't be disappointed with the SS and you can find a used one in like new condition from $900-$1200 depending on condition and illumination or not.

I have a 5-20 hd and I really like the scope. The glass is great and almost as good as the Steiner I own. I looked through a 3-15 xtr II the other day and the glass was nice I was indoors looking outside, so it wasn't an ideal glass testing environment. The adjustments on the xtr II were nice and pretty positive in feel and sound. I was surprised how nice the turrets felt, I wasn't expecting them to be as positive as they were, but they still weren't amazing like some of the Alpha scopes. I think they are comparable to the SWFA 5-20, and maybe a slight edge to the SWFA scope.

I'm a huge fan of the SWFA scopes, but if you are paying retail and are trying to keep the costs down then the xtr II would make a fine choice. If the budget allows, I think the SWFA 5-20 is the better choice between the 2.

+2

SWFA is a lot of scope for the money. Other than turrets I don't notice much if any difference between it and my NF. (May get smoked for the last part, but that's my call on it)