• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SS HD 5-20x50 or NF 3-15 ?

acts238

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2011
N W Montana
my old bushnell finally gave up
so I'm buying a new scope
SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 or midway clearance NF 3-15
both about 1500.0
which would you choose ?

You do give up 5x on the NF but I like it better, little more refined. I assume the NF ffp F1?

At $1500 I doubt it's an F1.

I'd take the SWFA 5-20 FFP over a SFP Nightforce.

I will never buy another SFP scope over 10X magnification again.

Now if it's between the SWFA and a Nightforce F1 at that price, I'd take the F1.

I have both the SWFA 5-20 and a NF mrad/mlr which is the sfp and I like them both. It would be a hard choice if I had to give one up... However, I really like FFP and the extra magnification is nice too. When the two are set as close to the same power as possible I can just slightly make out a difference in the image quality, favoring the NF. When it gets dark and I am taking the last 5 minutes of light, I can make out just a little bit more for a couple minutes longer with the NF... This would be well after (or before) legal hunting hours here in Michigan which are generally 30 minute before and after sunrise/set.

So glass quality goes NF by a sliver and I have not had any tracking or zero issues with either. I have illumination on the SWFA and have never used it... for that matter, same with the NF. I can mil quicker and easier with the SWFA reticle...

Last edited:
the SS 3-15 x42 is 700.00
the 5-20x50 is 13.00 -1500.00 ill
is there that much difference in them ?

NF simply because of the durability aspect.... never seen one go down. And 15x is not really a stretch at 300 meters and out...

just my 2 cents.

plus the resale goes to NF.

I have both the 3-15 and 5-20 SS's, while the 3-15 is great scope, the 5-20 is heads and shoulders above it! Both offer fantastic value for their price. Both get used quite frequently out to 700-1000+ yards, and have always returned to zero.
The Night Force price is a good one, but for the features VS. price, The SS 5-20 gets my vote. The 3-15 SS will get the job done very well, and let you buy more ammo!

The SS HD 5-20x50 is a better bargain. This scope surprised the shit out of me when I picked one up some time ago. I used many different NF's in the past, including the F1. NF makes very durable scopes which can be trusted to do the job. There is much to be said for that. However, my eyes do not agree well with the NF scopes I've owned. I find the glass to be rather bland. In my opinion, the glass in the SS HD 5-20 is noticeably better in clarity, contrast, and color rendition. Resolution is equal between NF and the SS. The SS HD 5-20x50 has a very good reputation and for good reason....in this price range I do not believe there is a better optic.

Additionally, the NF you are looking into is a SFP, which is not even a viable option anymore for me. I do acknowledge that SFP can be desirable for certain applications. Even if this were an F1, I would choose the SS HD. YMMV.

I have both the 3-15 and 5-20 SS's, while the 3-15 is great scope, the 5-20 is heads and shoulders above it! Both offer fantastic value for their price. Both get used quite frequently out to 700-1000+ yards, and have always returned to zero.
The Night Force price is a good one, but for the features VS. price, The SS 5-20 gets my vote. The 3-15 SS will get the job done very well, and let you buy more ammo!

I have both too and agree 100%. My buddy has an nxs 3-15, and while I'm sure it's tough as nails I wasn't overly impressed with the glass compared to my hd5-20.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

the SS 3-15 x42 is 700.00
the 5-20x50 is 13.00 -1500.00 ill
is there that much difference in them ?

I believe there is that much difference in them. They look like two optics sitting on different playing fields.

I think your really talking apples to oranges here. the ss first focal 5-25 vs the nf 2nd focal 3-15. you cant compare the 2. you ought to be comparing a nf f1 vs that same ss. now your talking apples to apples and you can make a reasonable comparison.

I have both and have shot both in matches, training and deployed with both. I could rehash what was said but IMHO the SS has a slight edge over the NXS. I am making the assumption the NXS is the scaled down with no zero stops or HS turrets and I will also assume the mildot or NP-R2 reticle. If you can get the MOAR with zero stop and HS turrets for that price I would call it a draw and base choice on FFP or SFP needs. I also have the 3-15 and is not the scope the 5-20 is. There are big differences in the glass quality, turrets etc. with the edge all going to the 5-20. Now a comparison between the the SS 3-15 and NXS and hands down NXS even for the price difference. Bottom line is that you really can't go wrong with either scope and I would base my big decision on the FFP or SFP and the type of shooting your doing.

Sully

I'm gonna go the other way from most people here. I have both scopes as well and if I could only have one of those 2 and only have 1 scope then I think the NF 3-15 is the way to go. I like my FFP scopes and love my G2DMR and but with the mil quad vs a NPR1 or NPR2 or MRAD then I like the NF better. It's gonna be super tough, hold its value more, and be reliable. I see your from Montana as well. That part of the country I like the SFP better. If reticle was only correct at 25x or something then yeah, you might have trouble using reticle for holdoffs or range estimation in crazy mirage but in a 15X scope I think it wont matter. Unless shooting a real long ways I thing the 2.5-10 and 3-15 mag range scopes are great and I like them better than my 5-25 range scopes. THey seem more versatile.

I might be selling my SS 5-20 soon. It has been great and does exactly what it should do but it's really not what I need on the rifle its on.
I'm thinking NF 2.5-10 on it myself. Think its a better choice.

Good luck with you search, I don't believe you will ever be held back with the NF 3.5-15

my old bushnell finally gave up
so I'm buying a new scope
SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 or midway clearance NF 3-15
both about 1500.0
which would you choose ?

Have owned both, well the SS and the NXS NF-F1. The SS is the better scope and obviously better deal. The HD glass on the SS is very nice. As well the NF your looking at is not FFP I believe. Where the SS is.