• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SS MIL/MIL question

verdugo60

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 6, 2010
    Denver, CO
    So I am experienced converting from MIL to MOA, but I just recently purchased a SS 3-9 MIL/MIL FFP for an AR-10. Took it out and got it zeroed,and we are going out with it today to stretch it out to 700 or so.

I have all my data in my ballistics app, have switched it to Mil increments in .1 like my turrets say. I am puzzled by the hash marks on the turrets however.

My understanding is that at .1 MIl per "click" 5 clicks would equal half a MIL right? But when I do that, the hash mark reads "4.5" not 5. Can someone explain this to me? My only thought is that the clicks are not exactly .1 Mil and the numbers on the turret reflect that, even though on the top and side of the turret it reads .1 MILRAD increments.

I am used to turrets in MOA where 4 "clicks" equals 1 MOA and you can speed adjustments up by using the whole numbers on the turret, and then counting your quarter minutes if it is for example .75 MOA.

So my confusion is the numbers on the turret in MILS not matching up with my counted graduations in .1 clicks. Can someone clarify for a MIL/MIL please. Sorry, search didn't answer anything.

Re: SS MIL/MIL question

Each "click" will be .1 mils, so 5 "clicks" is .5 (half mil) mils. The marks not lining up is just a misalignment within the scope turret and mark. No big deal.

Did you dial down in elevation? I think those turrets are 5 mil per revolution, if so then 4.5 would be correct.

Sounds to me like you turning the wrong way too. The turrets are CCW, like most American scopes. If you turn the knob the other way, I bet there are 10 little lines then a 1.

Thanks Rob, but that is not my problem. My issue is that when starting at the hash mark of zero, I adjust .5 mils, or five clicks and my turret reads 4.5 and 9.5. There must be a logical explanation for it, unless something is wrong with the turrets. I just wanted someone who has this MIL/MIL scope to LOOK and tell me if theirs is the same way. I bought this for my dad from another hide member and the box said something about being a demo scope and to send back. Anyways I had limited time with the optic and hoped for a simple answer before going out to the range later on Saturday. Thanks to those that actually tried to help.

Hey Trevor:

You might think you are wicked smaaart but guess what...probably no one else does. If you don't understand the issue and don't have anything to contribute but to say dumbass general phrases then don't stop by my thread. Thanks, and...wow, just wow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trevor300wsm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow...., just wow..... </div></div>

On a side note fellas, the scope tracked and worked fine on Saturday. My Dad was pleased to see the mil adjustments worked great in conjunction with his dope readings in .1 mils. I had him getting hits from 220-710 yards on steel. Only frustration was not understanding the turret markings and thus having to count each .1 mil adjustment. Anyone have an owners manual for this scope by chance?

Thanks Foosking, but the issue is that those are the first set of numbers after "0". The numbers simply don't go in the order I would expect i.e. : .5, 1, 1.5, 2 etc for every half mil or five clicks. Other problem is having no manual...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: verdugo60</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Rob, but that is not my problem. My issue is that when starting at the hash mark of zero, I adjust .5 mils, or five clicks and my turret reads 4.5 and 9.5. There must be a logical explanation for it, unless something is wrong with the turrets. I just wanted someone who has this MIL/MIL scope to LOOK and tell me if theirs is the same way. I bought this for my dad from another hide member and the box said something about being a demo scope and to send back. Anyways I had limited time with the optic and hoped for a simple answer before going out to the range later on Saturday. Thanks to those that actually tried to help. </div></div>

That is what Rob is saying...your turret probably has some kind of minor flaw in it causing it to be slightly off. It happens...

I don't own one so I can't say as how the scope is physically zeroed...but grab the manual and find in the instructions how to loosen the turret for zeroing and see if you can't nudge its setting onto the hashmark better. </div></div>

Ok, unfortunately I am now 12 hours away from the scope, but I just understood what a few were saying about dialing down and thus it reading 4.5. That is almost for sure what happened. Thanks guys for indulging my brainfart question. When I go.back for Christmas I will confirm and clarify for my Dad. As I said, the scope worked fine when shooting, the numbering just didn't make sense. Now it probably will.

Let me see if I understand what you are saying correctly..... The scope tracks as it's supposed to when you dial an adjustment, but the marks on the turret don't quite line up?

I also had a SS scope that did this. It worked just fine and the turrets lined up with the reference mark on the scope body when I pulled it out the box - new. Once I mounted it and shot the rifle to find my zero, I reset my turrets back to zero.

This is where I feel I got my turrets slightly off. Someone out there correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it has to do with the number of splines that are cut into the turret cap and the top of the turret. The number of splines may not match up 100% with the clicks of 1 rotation of the knob. In effect your clicks seem off to one side or the other in reference to the hask mark on the scope below the turret.

A simple fix is to remove the cap, tape off the scope and using a white paint marker, thicken out the side of the reference mark to where your clicks line up - if it really bugs you. Additionally you can just make a note, mentally or on paper that your clicks actually just line up to the left or right of your reference line.

I honestly thought my first ss 3-9 was defective. I contacted SWFA inquired about just getting a new set of caps. They insisted on checking out and replacing the entire scope - You don't find customer service like this at many places!

Received a new replacement scope about 10 days later. It too worked and still works flawlessly. Once again when I removed the turret caps to reset for my zero, the marks didn't line up perfectly. Now that I know this, it's no big deal. In my mind, it's a very minor thing once I learned that it's somewhat a common occurance across scope manufacuturers with the exception of a very few high end brands.

By all means contact SWFA and give them a chance to take care of you if you feel it's a true defect or something else is wrong. They will take care of you.

Also if not mistaken, I believe this was talked about quite extensively when the new 5-20 illuminated model came out and was pointed out that the number of splines versus the number of clicks per rotation wasn't the same. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Also just so you know, SS scopes don't come with a manual, at least that I'm aware of. They are just like any other scope, and I suppose to keep costs low, SWFA doesn't produce or include them.

Thanks MP15, I think I got it figured out. From my description, some people assumed it was the splines not lining up. That is not the case yet, although I did have that happen when I rezeroed my fixed ten power SS.

My issue was that I had never used a MIL turret scope, and so when playing with it before hitting the range it just seemed weird. I moved it from zero down .5 mils and it read 4.5, which confused the crap out of me. Now I realize it's on a 5 mil per revolution system, and that since I moved down it made sense that it was reading 4.5 Mils.

Thanks for your help, and info on the splines that does seem to be an issue with them. Other than that, the scopes have been a great value for me so far. I just need to learn the new MIL/MIL system so I can teach my "old dog" pops who is the actual owner.