• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ssg input please

Re: ssg input please

I've had one, double set triggers, since early '90s when most folks did not know what it was. I like the fact you see very few of them around. Just recently put a Sightron 6-24x50 SIII using the Steyr slide on Picatinny rail with ARMS throw lever rings and started using .175gr SMK, Lapua and 8208XBR. I don't get bench rest accuracy but will do 5 shot groups at about an inch at 300 meters. A few 3 three shot groups can be covered with a quarter.
Just last week I sent a message to Richard Wilhelm owner of Wilhelm Arms and Optics, Christchurch, New Zealand thanking him for recomending this rifle to me twenty years ago. It has live up to his claims as far as I'm concerned.
Certainly there are many more 'out of the box' accurate rifles to chose from these days though some get quite pricy. But this rifle can still hold its own quite well with a design from the late 60s. I'll be keeping mine

Roy had execllent input for ssg 69. I believe he has the P1 verson with iron sight. I used to own P1, P2 and P4, but sold the p1 years ago. Only keep p2 and p4 now. Just like what Roy said, you don't get bench rest accuracy. But you can easily get 20rds(American Eagle 150gr)within 1" @ 100 yrds. The reason I sold the p1 is becaue the P2 is kind of more accurate and I don't really need 2 similar rifles. They are good rifles, if you can get one for a resonable price, get one.

I first bought a SSG69 in green with the issue Kahles in 1984 when I was stationed in Italy. I bought a PII in black with set triggers in Germany in 1985. I sold the SSG69 about 15 years ago but have upgraded the PII with a Steyr rail and a Nightforce scope. While I bought a 10-mag in Germany when they were about $50, I recently addded two more when Steyr had them on their site. Other than the usual magazine issues I still love to shoot my PII. As above, I only sold my SSG69 because I felt I did not need both.

ssg 69,10x kahles mil dot,2 mags,QD mounts,2 5r mags-$2200. is this a reasonable price? rifle appears little fired.

Mine is a PIIK w/ single trigger, w/ 6x42 IOR 1"Tactical. Only shot to 300 yds w/ the 6x scope, 1 MOA easy. Absolutely sweet shooter. Only cons are the very expensive and delicate mags. Also try finding and pricing their rings....

In 1985, I met the SSG for the first time. A friend of mine showed me that big long rifle with a green plastic stock (!) standing in the corner of his office. I wasn't impressed at all. Weird looking rifle - I thought.

A few days later, we went to the range - military range. At 600 hundred yards, the "Mean Green Gun" was flexing its muscles : 6" group (five bullets). No sighters, no bench, no sandbags, no sling, improvised prone position from a small berm. No, I wasn't the shooter and yes, I was impressed !
The scope was a fixed power Austrian or German scope (don't remember exactly) and the ammo was US Military Match ammo - I was told.

And this, from a factory rifle with no bedding that I can think of and with a rather flexible stock, weighing in at only 8½ pounds without scope. It had to be seen to be believed.

The SSG ? Nothing quite like it. Not the most rugged rifle out there (trigger guard/mag well issues) but hellishly precise.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mike f</div><div class="ubbcode-body">any one with hands on experience with steyr ssg 69? input,comments,experiences,please. thanks. </div></div>

Maybe you should read the article by Mr. Barrett Tillman : <span style="font-weight: bold"> </span> Deadly Accuracy from the Mean Green Gun <span style="font-weight: bold"> </span> . Google is your friend here.

I guess that you already have read it. If not, it's pretty interesting.

Carcajou

I have to laugh at these threads about the SSG69. I had on a whial back and it was a very good rifle that had a ton of potential! My shooting partner HATED the rifle, but me I loved it. Its hard to say why exactly but I just do. I would LOVE to get an other one with the single trigger and large bolt knob and have Scott Mcree do me a chassis for it and make it use AICS mags, I would cream my trousers. I dont like the bottom "plastic" or the rotary mags but the action and trigger are superb! The barrels are good as any too. Thats my .02

The mag system and stock are deffinately the negatives. Great rifles with a long pedigree, but not without flaws.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mike f</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ssg 69,10x kahles mil dot,2 mags,QD mounts,2 5r mags-$2200. is this a reasonable price? rifle appears little fired. </div></div>You can find new ssg69 from gunbroker or gunsamerica for $1200. Kahles 10x with P2 reticle is about $700 in execllent (like new) condition form gunshow here in CA(Crossroad gunshow @ Costa mesa), and 10rd mag are expensive, I bought mine back in 2004 or 2005 for $160/ea(new). QD mount/rings you can usually find online for $100 used but in execllent condition.

Ive owned a green SSG 69 and a PIV. I have since sold both, but am now in the market for another PIV. I used it in an LE sniper school and I thought it was funny that no one there had ever heard of the thing. PIVs are great rifles and they look really cool too which is important.....

nice barrel BUT why buying a SSG 69 anno domini 2012? I don't get it...
it used to be a state of the art sniper rifle 40 years ago.
btw, mag for SSG 69 is a nightmare.

Who's Scott Mcree? I'd buy one tomorrow depending on how much it'll cost to get a metal chassis that will take AI mags

Unfortunately, the ssg69 is a no go for us. I am sure Scott would say the same. The magazine port loads from the side making an aics conversion virtually impossible.

-Kyle ~XLR