• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing SSG TBAS reviews and chuck options

skog

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2009
Rhodes, MI
I have a buddy that just bought a TL1 and is looking for chuck options. I know there are a few guys on here running these. What is the verdict?

I am assuming the TBAS only adjust in the A and B axis while the X and Y axis you still use the chuck. Is this correct? Also how is the chuck that he packages with it? It is a Gator six jaw. I have never used a gator chuck only bison. Is it a good or should he just spend more money for the bison? Also what is the benefit of a 6 jaw vs 4 jaw vise? Seems the 6 jaw can grip smaller stock but would be more prone to marring do to the small contact area of the jaws.

Thanks
Skog

The TBAS does all the aligning, although the gator is a set tru style it has no boss on its backing plate for the chuck to adjust from.

6 jaw allows you to grip the part securely without marring the surface and with less deformation. I've grabbed AI barrels for threading and it doesn't leave a mark.