• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

ssg3000 18 inch version already arrived?

sniper_wing

Private
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2013
I saw one on Gun Broker.

But I did not see it anywhere else except pre-orders.

Do you guys have any information about that?

I never could understand why anyone would want a 308 with such a short barrel. I understand it is more "handy" but you loose so much velocity with that round (or most rounds) that I just do not understand it. I have a Sig 3000 and it can barely go to 1000 yards without a lot of drop. I was speaking to Steve at the Cowtown range in Arizona and he says some members do go out to 2000 yards with the 308. I have no reason to doubt him but I do doubt they do it with an 18" barrel.

That does not really bother me because my purpose for this gun is only up to 600 yards.

Besides, 308 is not really a good long range caliber anyway. If I really want to go extra long range, I would prefer 260rem or 300wm.

I never could understand why anyone would want a 308 with such a short barrel. I understand it is more "handy" but you loose so much velocity with that round (or most rounds) that I just do not understand it. I have a Sig 3000 and it can barely go to 1000 yards without a lot of drop. I was speaking to Steve at the Cowtown range in Arizona and he says some members do go out to 2000 yards with the 308. I have no reason to doubt him but I do doubt they do it with an 18" barrel.

Why? Because I already have other calibers that outperform 308 no matter how long the barrel is. Also all my short action calibers are under 22" because running a can on a long barrel sucks. You're probably only shooting 150-170fps faster then an 18" barrel (assuming you have a 24"). Is the extra 150 really helping all that much?

I spoke too fast and did not think that some people already have a long range rifle and are fine with an 18" barrel.
My mistake