• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

StaBall 6.5 for H-4350 in 6.5 Creedmoor

Newbie2020

Mmmyeah...whatever
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2020
Nebraska
Loading for 6..5 Creedmoor. I have Staball 6.5 to use.

I have had success with 41.5 gr h4350, Federal 210 primers, and Berger 130 gr OTMs.

Can someone suggest a starting charge of StaBall 6.5 to replace 41.5 gr h4350?

Last edited:
From what I’ve read in the 6.5cm sticky thread, the book max is below real world max.

Disclaimer: this is out of my specific rifle only. But for comparison 41g 4350 w/ 140 ELDs gets me 2,721. 42g Staball gets me 2,705. 26” Bartlein MTU 6.5 CM

Reactions: Newbie2020
6353226A-7724-4E5A-984C-96AA036D11D8.png

I had posted my initial results with moving from H4350 to StaBall in 6mm Creedmoor in the StaBall thread mentioned above... I didn't know where to start either, so based off everything I could dig up I just guessed and went up 2 grains from where I was at with H4350 (since it still put me well under listed book max on Hodgdon's site, so pretty safe).
The MV's were really close right off the bat for me and it was pretty easy to match velocities fps to fps between the H4350 and StaBall just by using a bit more Staball than H4350. It's close, but the StaBall is just a little slower from what I've seen.

I'd look for a node more so than just going for the speed limit though from what I've experienced, you might even just want to try the same 41.5gr charge you've been using and see what you get...
In 6mm creed I could be running it at ~3200fps, but I'm at ~2800fps and the node has been so fat that I haven't messed with it.

Last edited:
What's the verdict on Sta-Ball? The Hodgdon reloading center has that stuff as the shit across a few different calibers. It's the clear velocity winner for 6.5 CM compared to H4350, if only by a little. Over 2800 fps with 140/142s (like 100 fps above H4350), and almost as fast as SuperFormance and Hybrid100V for the 147s. What really surprised me, though, is the data for .30-06 - namely, pushing the 208 ELD-M @ 2660 fps w/ 54.2 grains. Hodgdon also lists it as faster than Enduron 4955 and SuperFormance with 180s (and H4350).

Hodgdon says the stuff is "tits" (as the kids say). If it runs consistent and clean it's like I could replace my H4350 and Superformance with Sta-Ball and not look back.

Disclaimer: this is out of my specific rifle only. But for comparison 41g 4350 w/ 140 ELDs gets me 2,721. 42g Staball gets me 2,705. 26” Bartlein MTU 6.5 CM

I am new to the 6.5 CM cartridge. I found some 140 ELD's to try, there have been no factory loads to try, what kind of jump are you getting good results with? I figure 0.020" for starting, but wondering if folks are finding tighter to the lands, or more generous. I see data on loads used/compared, but not seating depth. Looking for insights about which way to go! Brand new Bergara B-14 BMP rifle to figure out.

I am new to the 6.5 CM cartridge. I found some 140 ELD's to try, there have been no factory loads to try, what kind of jump are you getting good results with? I figure 0.020" for starting, but wondering if folks are finding tighter to the lands, or more generous. I see data on loads used/compared, but not seating depth. Looking for insights about which way to go! Brand new Bergara B-14 BMP rifle to figure out.

Here's a good read regarding the 147's, I'd imagine some of the info would help dialing the 140's too: https://precisionrifleblog.com/2020/04/05/bullet-jump-load-development-data/

I’m no expert on reloading but consistency is what I strive for. I use 140 ELD’s as well and I’ve shot them at .020 to .060. They all shoot, as long as your reloading is consistent. If your reloading is consistent, your SDs will be low by default. Reloading equipment is so advanced these days that you literally have to intentionally not reload consistent. The reality is, in the PRS world, as only a mid pack shooter at best - Controlling reticle wobble, stability in positions, recoil management, wind calls, etc will affect my impacts/misses more than chasing a 5 SD or a 1/4” group. A top shooter with a a “terrible” 1moa rifle will still outshoot the pack.

I tested it in an 18” 6.5 Creedmoor AR-10, I was getting 2700 fps at 44gr using the 130 Berger OTM. I also tested 45.2 hr which shot well but I was having issues getting the LabRadar to pick up shots with the suppressor due to the cold so I was unable to get the velocity.

Will be doing additional testing this weekend using the 44gr load and the 45.3gr load in multiple rifles.

I tested it in an 18” 6.5 Creedmoor AR-10, I was getting 2700 fps at 44gr using the 130 Berger OTM. I also tested 45.2 hr which shot well but I was having issues getting the LabRadar to pick up shots with the suppressor due to the cold so I was unable to get the velocity.

Will be doing additional testing this weekend using the 44gr load and the 45.3gr load in multiple rifles.

I’m running 45.6gr of StaBall under a 130gr Berger AR Hybrid in my 22” 6.5C AR10. Going out later today to verify this load is still good with the new lot of powder I got and if it’s still a winner I’ll start cranking them out on my Dillon.

I’m running 44.1 gr of StaBall under 130gr Berger AR Hybrid in my 24” 6.5CM getting 2,808 fps

I’m running 45.6gr of StaBall under a 130gr Berger AR Hybrid in my 22” 6.5C AR10. Going out later today to verify this load is still good with the new lot of powder I got and if it’s still a winner I’ll start cranking them out on my Dillon.
Just added my data from today to the tacked 6.5C AR only thread up top, FYI

I finally found a load that shoots in my sons RPR 6.5 at 45.3gr StaBall with 140eldm's at 2811. Everything else was garbage

From what I’ve read in the 6.5cm sticky thread, the book max is below real world max.

That's almost universally true regardless of the powder or cartridge.

Also, after 18 years of reloading rifle cartridges I have found that asking others what they're doing in terms of actual charge weights, jump, neck tension, etc, is almost always a waste of time.

This is one aspect where the only answer is "do the work"

I am confused by all these folks that say they didn't have any information on staball powder.
They released reloading data pretty much at the same time they released the powder.

I am confused by all these folks that say they didn't have any information on staball powder.
They released reloading data pretty much at the same time they released the powder.

I have defaulted to just texting the hodgdon website to anyone that asks me for data. People are too damn cheap to buy a book or to lazy to search.

I had no issue finding data for the 147's, but I found my best node below book max and never found pressure signs as far as I pushed above it. It did seem to just go dead as it got much above book max.

Super accurate where I'm at, so I saw no reason to keep pushing hotter.

Anyone here run 147 ELDM with StaBall 6.5 yet? Just bought a pile of them have only pushed 140's so far would love to hear you results.

Anyone here run 147 ELDM with StaBall 6.5 yet? Just bought a pile of them have only pushed 140's so far would love to hear you results.
42.2gr gave me 2618 out of a RPR with sub 1/2 MOA accuracy but I haven’t tested them further as I’m phasing them out for the 156 Berger.

That piece of tape I handed you yesterday had the data on it. 😁
You want me to see if I still have it?