• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stabilizing standing/kneeling position in heavy winds

Billiam1211

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2018
IL
Anyone have a tip for stabilizing their rifle in standing/kneeling in heavy winds? I went out this weekend to practice PRS barricade at 400/500/600 while there was a heavy wind advisory and struggled from standing/kneeling because the wind gusts were moving my body and rifle which was blowing up my wobble zone. Modified prone I could hit everything at all the distances no problem, but gamechanger on barricade the wind blew up my wobble zone where normally I'd be rock solid.

I did get hits, but I had to wait for the wind to die down. I figured if this was a match setting I'd only be able to get a few shots off just waiting for the wind to calm down, so there must be a better way. My PRS barricade is not stable so loading it wasn't an option. I tried grabbing the barricade and pulling into my shoulder to try and lock the rifle in. This worked better, but my normal dead center hold was still all over the target. I had to hold almost 0.8 MIL to hit my 8-inch plate at 400 yards which would indicate around 12mph of wind, however wind at my firing position was pushing me all over the place.

What do you guys do in a heavy wind situation like that?

If it was that crappy of conditions and the barricade was super unstable, I'd probably go with tripod rear and accept the slower tiebreak time but get more hits.

That's a great idea. I've never actually used tripod rear in a match, but that seems like a great situation for it.

As mentioned, tripod rear. Possibly a sling, depending.

Beyond that, there’s two things to do in general that will help:

- develop your position building enough that on a stable prop + heavy fill bag = .2 or less total wobble. You may already be able to do this. But I’m sure someone is reading who can’t. If your perfect scenario situation isn’t as optimal as possible, then your shitty scenario will be a train wreck.

- natural point of aim, natural point of aim, natural point of aim

Treat being blown by wind the same as unsupported or unstable prop like a rope. Whatever is your point of aim (center reticle, or your wind hold), make sure your wobble has the same amount on both sides.

If your wobble is .5, make sure it’s .2 on either side of center. Then just breath and make a clean trigger press. You’ll find your rounds magically go there.

You can practice this very well with a rope. Something like pictured below:

Attachments

• 059D1598-B238-44C5-977B-96ED859BB1A8.jpeg
    059D1598-B238-44C5-977B-96ED859BB1A8.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 124
As mentioned, tripod rear. Possibly a sling, depending.

Beyond that, there’s two things to do in general that will help:

- develop your position building enough that on a stable prop + heavy fill bag = .2 or less total wobble. You may already be able to do this. But I’m sure someone is reading who can’t. If your perfect scenario situation isn’t as optimal as possible, then your shitty scenario will be a train wreck.

- natural point of aim, natural point of aim, natural point of aim

Treat being blown by wind the same as unsupported or unstable prop like a rope. Whatever is your point of aim (center reticle, or your wind hold), make sure your wobble has the same amount on both sides.

If your wobble is .5, make sure it’s .2 on either side of center. Then just breath and make a clean trigger press. You’ll find your rounds magically go there.

You can practice this very well with a rope. Something like pictured below:

Normally I'm at .2 wobble or less, but in the midwest we typically don't see winds like that. As I was trying to work my way through it, I did try centering my wobble and breaking a shot which did work and I was able to get impacts.. it was just hard :cautious: really had to work for those hits. This type of scenario definitely put inner Ricky Bobby in turmoil butI definitely have a few more things to work on. I'm going to try and install a rope or rubber hose on my personal barricade for my next practice session and work on that.

Tripod rear would've been an excellent solution for this as well. My local club typically doesn't allow tripods, but maybe they'll change that one of these days. When I make it out to national matches it's a good skill to have in the toolbox so I'll have to spend some time with that as well.

Reactions: Mr. Wolf