• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stage timer

AR15-SBR

Private
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2014
What is the white timers I see a lot of the competition shooters using to keep their time on NRL Hunter stages?

Oregon Scientific, don't know the model name KD500 maybe? $15
Sper Scientific Talking Timer, should be $25 @ Walmart

As much as I wanted to hate on the MDT Timer.....it actually looks pretty handy for serious competitors.

Another option to is the talking timer app on your phone if you really are needing the time. Usually I just live by, if you are running out of time, you probably need to practice being more efficient

Another option to is the talking timer app on your phone if you really are needing the time. Usually I just live by, if you are running out of time, you probably need to practice being more efficient

At the beginner level, I agree. However, at advanced levels knowing your time and managing accordingly can be of great benefit.

There's a video floating around with Morgan King and another shooter. He's making a point of how long 8 seconds or so really is and how much faster people shoot than they should. Obviously you want to train enough to know what it "feels" like. However, there's no argument that can be made that someone will have the potential to use their time more wisely if they have a shot timer and the other person doesn't.

Having a timer with you helps immensely in situations where something didn't go as you planned. Perhaps a position didn't work the way you expected or maybe you accidentally hit your mag latch and had to pick up your mage or replace it. Now that you've been thrown off your timing, it's easy to either move too fast or too slow afterwards.

I could name many situations when having access to a timer on a stage would be more beneficial than not. I wouldn't be opposed to no one being allowed to have a timer, nor allowed to ask how much time has passed on a stage (but I also don't care if these things are allowed). But as long as it's allowed, you'll benefit more from having a timer than not.