• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Stainless barrel questions

916dude!

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2009
Sacramento,CA
I weld and pipefit for a living and work with a LOT of stainless. Anything from 304-347 stainless we use all the time. Anyway, when welding SS it wants to move around a lot more than carbon. I've also repaired a lot of stainless that had fatigued from being heated and cooled many times.

I'm just an inquiring mind and newbe. What kind of stainless is used to make barrels? I'm guessing there must not be issues with them walking around since I see a lot of people using them.

another question- we also work with metals like inconell and hastaloy or even 347 ss for that matter that are extremely hard and heat resistant. Has anybody ever thought of using something like that for cals like .260 .243 and such that are barrel burners?

Re: Stainless barrel questions

Inconell barrel, tough stuff, be interesting how that would turn out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bronco</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Inconell barrel, tough stuff, be interesting how that would turn out. </div></div>
EXPENSIVE .....

machining the bore and rifling in something like inconel would be tough/expensive. i am definatly no metallurgist but i think the 416r is a good compromise between excellent machinability and barrel life.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">machining the bore and rifling in something like inconel would be tough/expensive. i am definatly no metallurgist but i think the 416r is a good compromise between excellent machinability and barrel life. </div></div>

Exactly, machineability along with barrel life is a huge piece of the puzzle. Like CM steels, stainless offers various alloys with different propertie., The 400 family offers the best properties for firearms.

How many rounds are you guys expecting to get out of a 260 with a ss barrel before it's burnt?

I figured it would be pretty hard to machine inconell, but just for newbe imagination and curiosity sake, IF it could be done would it last long enough to make it cost effective? LOL

Just some food for thought. Barrel life greatly depends on the amount of rounds through the barrel in a certain amount of time. Here in the USA the average Palma rifle barrel will last 3000-4500 rounds. In other countries, the average palma/fullbore barrel will last up to 8000 rounds. This is because in the US our course of fire is different and we shoot more rounds in a shorter time frame(1 round every 45-90 seconds up to 25 rounds) where as in other countries they shoot less rounds in a longer time(1 round every 120-180 seconds generally up to 17 rounds).

This process of firing greatly extends the barrel life as it doesnt heat up as much, causes less wear and throat erosion.

FWIW. Things like machinegun barrels often use(d) a stellite insert in the chamber/throat region to mitigate the effects of heat, powder abrasion, and gas pressure.

Stellite is often used on the tips of high performance SS/titanium tulip valves on engines. It's hard as woodpecker lips and able to tolerate quite a bit. Clerke Industries in Raton, NM did quite a bit of work on this when the minigun was first being developed. (Bo Clerke is a neat ol shit btw)

I used to machine quite a bit of Invar, Inconnel, and a few of the other variants (hastaloy, etc) It's gummy, tough, abrasive, and horribly expensive.

All of which would be a barrel maker's nightmare probably.

I'd certainly listen to what the Brux guys have to say. I've installed a few of their sticks now and they've all shot exceptional. Good folks!

Say hi to that Kyle kid for me!

Chad

I haven't heard of this stellite invert you mentioned. Would that be something that would be worth checking into for a tac rifle?

No it wouldnt, its costly and for the average user isn't worth the time and effort. Generally when a 416r stainless barrel wears out its because of throat erosion, which can be solved and the barrel life can be extended by knocking the barrel back an inch and rechambering it. Stellite is great for what is was intended for, high round per minute machine guns. Barrel burners are going to stay barrel burners, with the new steel manufactures we are working with, we are trying to get a new better alloy of still that will benefit us all, 416r has been around for ages, but it works.

I'd say a big NO on that one.

Not unless you like shelling out money for the sake of spending it.

For the cost of having this done you could probably buy two or three fully chambered, crowned, fitted barrels.

Consider it like this maybe. Years ago I was determined to kill my self on the AMA road course circuit. I had a gixxer 600 and raced it (which means I was a "fat" guy that got passed a lot by much younger, lighter, and infinitely more talented riders) down in Pueblo and 2nd Creek in Denver (now closed).

My tire bill was pretty spendy and I starved as a result to go do it.

A good weekend of racing will easily consume the cost of having a barrel fitted/bought. Considering that even the worse barrel burners (300-338 Lapua, 6.5-254, 220 swift, 338 Lapua shooting 300's, etc) will easily last a whole season of heavy shooting I say your money stretches pretty far.

Spend that stellite money on bullets and fuel to get to the range.

Just some food for thought. Barrel life greatly depends on the amount of rounds through the barrel in a certain amount of time. Here in the USA the average Palma rifle barrel will last 3000-4500 rounds. In other countries, the average palma/fullbore barrel will last up to 8000 rounds. This is because in the US our course of fire is different and we shoot more rounds in a shorter time frame(1 round every 45-90 seconds up to 25 rounds) where as in other countries they shoot less rounds in a longer time(1 round every 120-180 seconds generally up to 17 rounds).

Very interesting, I have never heard this, but wow that is a big difference in barrel life

Spend that stellite money on bullets and fuel to get to the range.

I like this idea! LOL