• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Stainless Media

heydavemd

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2009
SW Colorado
I'm using Stainless media to tumble my brass, and really like it with one exception. After my brass dries it looks like crap. definitely not the shiny stuff that comes out of the tumbler. I wash it with a small amount of Dawn and Lemi-shine, and rinse it and tumble it in water to make sure I get all the soap off it. I've tried air drying it (took forever), and oven drying it, but it ends up looking like I just picked it up off of the range after laying out there for a month. I end up tumbling it in walnut after the Stainless steel to get the shine back. any suggestions?

Re: Stainless Media

Yes, almost assuradly too much Lemishine. For a 15 lb. capacity tumbler, I use about half a teaspoon of Lemishine with Dawn and tumble for 2 hours. Then I change the water until fairly clear and then tumble for a couple more hours with Dawn and no Lemishine. Since this change in technique, I've had no more discolored brass.

Rinse the cases for a while in just plain old water. Perhaps even a dash of dishwashing liquid will be ok. After a little soak, rinse them off again with just water.

flick off any excess water and put them in a metal strainer/collander. Get the hair dryer out and hit them all up with the hair dryer using your free hand to rummage thru the brass. Within 5 minutes you should have spottless brass thats dry on the outside.

I use a LEE powder scoup that came with my dies for the Lemmeshine.
1 scoup of 3.1cc

I use the SS media with Dawn soap and only 1/4 tsp of Lemishine with great results. Rinse the brass after thumbling for 2 hours with cold water and roll on a micro towel till dry(few minutes). Brass is bright and shiney.